What's new

REVIEW: MacBaren Golden Extra, stupid old.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
so, there are questions about "why cellar pipe tobacco?". with thanks to whtwtrman, imma possibly answer a few.

so, recently came I to posession of this guy (dicks). ostensibly it is at least twenty years old. it does have a small warning label on the side (the kind slapped on as an afterthought, or token gesture), but no date stamp or factory code. it DOES have a 13digit EU barcode, where i have seen other MacB product use the 10 digit american SKU. so, no idea if that statement is exactly correct.

what I CAN tell you is, this shit does i. fact have down time. NO question. it did NOT want to open for me. some prying with the pipe nail to pop the air seal, and some added torque from a couple rubber bands around the kid and tin, and i was greeted with this:

now, to be fair, i am NOT familiar with this blend fresh. i plan to rectify this, shortly and in great quantity, but there it is. HOWEVER. what i was greeted with upon open was a HUGE bouquet of sweet. raisin, fig, date, stewed fruit, sweet cereal grain, just a nose full is dessert. the leaf was a rough cut, dark as hell, no visible sugar of pipe plume, but still beautiful. totally caked together (after all this time), and begging to be dug into. so i did.

sample burned in my zavvos zulu. not entirely caked, and had only had Va, VaBur, and VaPer. little ghosting, and less to ruin this experience.

i do not have the pipe palate (or cigar palate for that matter) to do this justice. what I DID get, was all of that sweetness on the front of my palate, a little metallic vibe center palate (not tinny and sharp, either, but a bright silver note, clean, and welcome), a very little but of the grain quality, and a rich but VERY clean finish on the palate. never a huge transition, but more a gradual and comfortable unwinding frim rim to heel. or, because i really like analogies, this tastes like what you wish mead would taste like, after eating some high quality bread (multi grain, kosher rye, something toothsome and good) warm and sweet and just cooled enough from the oven to eat. with the camaraderie you would hope to have with that meal. there was ZERO MacB flamethrower bite, ZERO ashy finish, one relight for me (only because i was driving and hadn't the opportunity to nurse the burn like i normally would), and aside from a few small scraps left with the ash, this was all that was left:

this was probably the first bowl of pipe tobacco that could actually rival a PREMIUM cigar for me. it was balanced, articulated, and joyous. it was a beautiful hour of my life well spent, with thanks.

am i giving up in cigars any time soon? not bloody well likely! opus and tat reserva and boli and liga, too many to count, and too easy (for me, where i am now) to find that transcendental moment WITHOUT twenty years if advance planning, or searching on the secondary market. BUT. if you do value a good bowl, and have a little room and a little patience, it is a pretty good lesson (i feel) in how a little planning, on a regular production item, can pay off big in the end.

and, to reiterate, thanks to whtwtrman. and you suck. and i am in your debt.

happy smoking. o)

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
Thanks much for the awesome review, JJ. Personally, I put a lot of value in reviews written by guys that claim to not have a very developed pallette, because I don't either and they usually use terms *I* would use and can relate to. Jealous of your experience and hoping one day I have the patience to try the same.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
and i honestly should do more cigar reviews, too? laziness, fear, setting back and letting the "professionals" or the "experienced palates" do all the work. end of the day, i always tell people to put it i to words, even if it only stays in their heads, because it makes the sense memory last longer.

then again, if you let some one in, time and again, they just may understand where you're coming from as well. o)

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I too think your reviews are the shit. I just get them. I don't have a very refined 'baccy palate yet, but have been training my beer palate for years now and have been trying to apply what I have learned there to baccy and try to list what I'm tasting when I am smoking something new. Thanks man!

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
The environment here is such that anyone should feel comfortable reviewing things. I don't think there's anyone here who would dismiss an honest attempt at a review just because they used less refined vocabulary or more real-world terminology. Hell, in a recent "Today's Smoke" post, I described the unlit draw of a particular cigar as "straight Raisin Bran". Lol. Call it like you see - or taste - it.

Rating - 100%
86   0   0
I keep telling myself imma get a journal and start taking notes....... Then I just. Decide to fire up another bowl, have gotten as far as looking at amazon for them..... And itemizing my bankers boxes of a cellar

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Thanx for the review. I have a jar of MacBaren Plum cake ready rubbed that is 19 years old and waiting till next year to open. Plum cake is my fav mac b blend so I'm excited for it. After reading ur review it's really got me excited.

Oh and I thoroughly enjoyed how this went down. Nice job Dave and java, well hahahahahaha.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You've got me excited to try some tinned Golden Mixture (replaced by Golden Extra) and some even older Golden Extra. Oh man.