What's new

Review- Montecristo Series VI Belicoso

Doofus

Spoon!
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Disclaimer- I went into this cigar being biased against Dominican Montecristos. To me, they're like Ashtons and Diamond Crowns- impeccable construction, but not any better than many other NC's, just more expensive.

I got this stick in the deal last year that came with a subscription to Cigar magazine, so it's been in my humi for about a year now.

Now on to the review...

This cigar had a somewhat mottled wrapper, with very slight veining. Perfect belicoso cap. After cutting, it had an ample draw.

After lighting, I was pleased at the slight sweetness the wrapper imparted, along with citrus and pepper. The ash was light grey and slightly flaky. After and inch or so, I tapped the ash and it left a perfect cone, with a straight burn all the way around. The citrus taste started to diminish, being replaced by cedar. I know... no shit, it's been kept in a cedar box for a year, so it tates like cedar, but the taste wasn't there at first, so I mentioned it.

Throughout the length of the cigar, there was significantly less smoke volume than I would have expected, given the full draw.

At about the half-way point, a slight bitterness encroached, so I purged it, the bitterness left, and the pepper and sweetness returned. Oddly, the ash started to turn darker at this point. At the last third, the cigar took on a woodiness and slight nuttiness, but getting toward the band, I had to purge more often as the bitterness returned more often. I laid it down soon after I removed the band.

My opinion- I was surpised at how much I liked this cigar, given my previous opinion of NC Montes. It had excellent construction, burn and taste. That being said, I just can't get past the pricing. At just under $10 a stick, it is not comparable to, say, any Torano or a Punch Grand Puro or an ERDM Robusto Larga Oscuro, which you could get instead of the Monte and still have enough left over for a Happy Meal.

-Doof

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Nice review, I have yet to have one. Maybe you've saved me a few dollars...

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I agree with your review. I enjoyed the cigar (even got it the same way you did). Problem is just as you say, for a much lower price there are better values in the NC cigars available. I haven't delved into habanos yet, but from what I've seen the prices on those are in some cases more reasonable as well.