What's new

Review - PDR 1878 Reserva Dominicana Capa Oscura

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
Picked up 2 of the new cigars from PDR. This one happens to be the 5 x 52 Robusto that I paid $6.95 for.

Blend info:
W: Habano – Osc / DR
B: Habano / DR
F: Corojo, Habano, Criollo 98 / DR

Paired it with a Fade To Black Ale from http://www.lefthandbrewing.com/

Initial appearance is awesome. I like the dark wrapper with the covered foot and The dual red bands really stand out.

Pre-light draw was really kind of bland with no spice at all and can't really taste anything else. Covered foot took a bit to get lit but once it did the draw was right on and the initial flavors are very complex. Smokey wood and Chickory are what come to mind. There is a very brief hint of spice on the finish. Can't believe the amount of smoke output.

1" in and flavors are changing to more like dried leaves and hay? My descriptions are probably a bit rough but I hope you get the idea. Spice is completely gone.

1st third down and the ash fell right at the 1.5" point. Some spice starting to creep back in but still mostly a dried grass type of flavor.

1/2 way through the cigar and the distinct taste of burnt coffee is there. First band is off and this thing is really starting to heat up. Burn is getting a bit erratic as well. Just to the bottom of the main band and I'm not feeling the love. Lots of burnt coffee and leather. Still tons of smoke and the burn has evened out.

To sum it up, the beer was the highlight of the review. Smoke time was 1:25 and it was tough for me to make it through the whole thing. I know there are some out there that will think these are amazing and thats the beauty of all these cigars. There is something for everyone. Wasnt horrible, It just wasnt for me.

Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Thanks for the review! Had one of these a couple nights ago. Can't really say anything on it right now. Need to smoke a couple more to be sure.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Sweet review Marty! :cbig:

If you like Left Hand Brewing Company try 400 lb Monkey, it's an English-style IPA and it's very tasty with a cigar!

bdc30

BoM May '11
Rating - 100%
215   0   0
Thanks for the review. Just got one of these thanks to WB and looking forward to sparking it up. For whatever reason though, I've yet to come across a PDR stick though that did much for me.

Dread

I sell cigars
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ive smoked 5 of these now and cant say Ive experienced any of the flavors you listed, maybe it was a bad stick?

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
Ive smoked 5 of these now and cant say Ive experienced any of the flavors you listed, maybe it was a bad stick?
I agree. I bought 2 and will try it to double check. It was typical with my PDR experiences with the exception of the BOTL cigar.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Surprised to see this review Marty, the 1878 Maduro's are a favorite of mine and expected the Oscuro wrapper to shine much more! I am wondering if your review is posted without the 3-4 weeks minimum of rest required from cigars shipped from Central America!!

MiamiE

Herfing 24/7
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I've had a few PDR's and they were not my cup of tea. Thanks for the review.

rahbass

PDR CIGARS - A.FLORES CIGARS
Rating - 100%
14   0   1
Humm, i wonder were you got the PDR and it you had it in a humidor for at least a week. You should let these rest a bit do to the change in seasons in the east cost. But again that cigar may not be for you.
Thanks for the review Abe.

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Great review - I especially like your link to the beer you were drinking, and the way you pair the beer and cigar in your review. Well done!

L8A

BoM Feb '11
Rating - 99.1%
208   1   0
Humm, i wonder were you got the PDR and it you had it in a humidor for at least a week. You should let these rest a bit do to the change in seasons in the east cost. But again that cigar may not be for you.
Thanks for the review Abe.
Abe,
I bought 2 and have the other sitting. I will smoke it next week and update the review with the results of the 2nd cigar. Thanks for doin what you do so guys like me have somethin to smoke!!

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Sorry to hear you didnt like them. Thanks for the reviewthough. I for one like PDR's, with rest Ithink theyre one of the best for the money. I love the BOTL stick.