What's new

Review- Punch Gran Puro Libertad

Doofus

Spoon!
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The other night, while we were watching The Interpreter, which had just come in from Netflix, I sat back for my nightly smoke, this one a Punch Gran Puro Libertad. This is the first one I've had since they came out last month after the RTDA.

After un-screwing the cap, I noticed that there's a little tab on the cedar lining that lets you pull the cedar out and easily get the cigar out without having to bang the tube against your palm, or whatever you wish to bang it. Nice little touch, that.

On to the cigar-

This dark-chocolate colored robusto is a NICE looking cigar. Ecxellent construction, with very sleight veining, firm to the touch and a perfect cap. And it was practically dripping with oil, which is how I like them best. After an easy cut, the pre-light draw was ample.

Once lit, it needed several puffs to settle down, but once it did, it had a creamy, completely smooth, medium-bodied taste, with some hints of citrus. Just past the first inch, the burn got crooked, which I corrected. This was the only burn problem, with it being very straight for the rest of the stick. I ashed it and the citrus was replaced by caramel.

At two inches, the taste stared to flatten, so I ashed and purged and it sprang back, with peppery notes on top of the caramel.

I had to pause at this point to rewind the DVD and hit the English subtitles, because I couldn't understand what a United Nations guy was saying to Nicole Kidman and I had been writing my notes and missed part of the scene.

When the burn got near the band, I removed it (I save all of my bands.) The caramel turned into nuttiness, which is my favorite flavor in a cigar. It started to flatten out again and I purged, which helped, but after a few more puffs, the cigar started getting mushy. I pitched it with about an inch-an-a-half left.

I feel a little biased, because Punch is one of my favorite brands, (I tend to lean toward Honduran smokes anyway,) and I like the Gran Puro in particular. That being said, this was the best Gran Puro I've had. The single burn problem wasn't a big deal. If a cigar goes downhill after the band, I don't tend to count that as too much of a negative. At that point, I feel like I've gotten my money's worth, so the mushiness didn't bother me. This cigar was very well-balanced, medium strength, creamy, nutty... everything I like.

Highly recommended.

The movie was pretty good, too.

-Doof

Punch Gran Puro Libertad (Tubed)
5x52 Natural wrapper
Wrapper, binder, filler- Honduras
Retail- $5.50/single tube