What's new

Reviewed By a Noob - Kockroach Contest

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
This was a contest put on by KockRoach for a noob blind review. I appreciate his contest and the fact that it FORCED me to actually do my first ever review. There were a few remarks about me having to sketch part of it - well, while taking notes i did a very quick sketch by the light from the fire pit... it was pretty freaking dark otherwise, maybe another one or two... Once someone knows what stick this was - please let me know your thoughts of my review. There were often flavors i could not place, so someone putting a word associated with their experience may help me out.
Without further delay::glassesgr

RBN #1.jpg

In case you cannot read the final presentation, i have copied the text below. If you want the photos posted i can do that as well.

The Undisputable:Size: 44 RG x 5-5/8” Corona (assumed)
Smoke Time: 1hr 20min
Construction: firm and fairly dense, several veins in wrapper – gorgeous cap – medium chocolate brown with red tint – similar to a cinnamon stick
The Background:This is a complete blind review, my first ever with thanks to BOTL Kockroach and his generosity. Read nothing, researched nothing, completely blind – here goes nothing. Dark outside sitting by fire in fire pit
The Subjective:Pre-Light – not a whole lot from the wrapper, but the foot smelled of tobacco and earthiness
1st third – not overpowering by any means , moderate amount of creamy light textured smoke. Taste of sweet dried fruits – maybe raisin – almost no spice
2nd third –nuts of some sort, less fruit, but still sweet on the end with a little leather . Hoping that the sweetness is not coming from the fire in the pit
3rd third – Spice kicks up just a bit as the sweetness fades, more leather and earth. Creaminess is gone
Mild/Med Flavor – Mild+ Strength
The Conclusion:Burn and construction were top notch, absolutely great – no touch ups, ash held for at least 1.5” and I knocked it off at that. Very enjoyable smoke, partly because it was out of my norm of a spicy, pepper smoke and it was quiet around the house after a hell of a first half of the week. Awesome to get to sit in peace
The Verdict:My guess as to the cigar: - Not happening, I have made enough of an ass of myself for one review.
I did enjoy the smoke, would smoke it again and probably often as a change of pace from the Nica Pepper I typically turn to. If this was an aged CC in the $20 range, it was wasted on my palette, if this was a $6-$8 smoke; I got my money’s worth out of it.

thejavaman

BoM December 2012
Rating - 100%
160   0   0
Nice job, Phil. It's harder than it looks, man. I learned that quite well when I did the FTTF blind reviews a while back. Curious to see what this was.

Last edited:

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
dude, thanks for the review. it can totally give you stage fright, especially knowing you are essentially going head to head. BUT you did a solid job, the substance was great for doing it blind without any prior knowledge, and the format was cool. and THANK YOU for dropping the smoking doodle in. o)

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Thanks guys, Reviews (especially published ones) are much more difficult than i realized but a crap load of fun!!!. Kudos and thank you to all you guys that make them seem so fluid and deliberately descriptive...
A special thanks to Kockroach for the opportunity and smokes...

Anxious to see what this was...

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Good review bro, always hard to do that for the first time... looking forward to seeing what the cigar actually was. :)

And that a way Jere for slapping the noob reviewers!

JLB

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Great review bro. Should be able to smoke mine Monday. Excited for it. You've def set the bar high!

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
As a newer smoker, I feel your pain as to the notes that the cigar gives off and trying to separate them. NOT EASY!! Love the format. If you have a template of that format, would you send it along to me? Please PM me if you don't find my addy.

Would love to know the cigar you smoked. Guessing CC, maybe a RyJ or ERDM?

Red Raider

Wreck 'em Tech
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Shoot me your pm Reelman and I'll e-mail the template. I used ppt, but could convert it to pdf.

I'm not sure it was cc... I'm no expert as you know, but the very few cc's I've had were a little more refined and had a floral earthiness and lighter wrapper.

Its pretty amazing how different the same cigar is for each person.

I now know some of the importance of smoking with other brothers. Bouncing ideas off one another, putting words to the flavors etc...

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Great job! Never done one myself so I can only imagine how difficult it would be to get your thoughts out!