What's new

Revisiting cigars from your early days

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
How often do you revisit cigars from your early days of smoking? My humidor is filled with the detritus of around five years or so of a cigar experience and occasionally I will grab something and realize that it has been with me since nearly the beginning. Right now for instance I'm smoking a Perdomo squared Maduro. The cigar taste great, and is unfortunately out of manufacture.

To be honest though I don't think that I would ever buy a box of these again were they to be made with the same blend. One thing I have found is the cigars I smoked when I first started are incredibly strong compared to what I smoke now. I can think of a number of reasons why my taste would have been towards really strong cigars nicotine wise namely that the time I did still smoke cigarettes.

But it is interesting to see how my palate has changed. The cigar taste great, but it's not very similar to cigars I smoke now. So have you guys revisit cigars that you used to really enjoy back when you first started? And how did they impact you? Were there some that you would return to and some that you would not?

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
One of my early faves were the La Vieja Habana The Early Years Silencios. Nice smooth PC/Mareva sized smoke that came in boxes of 40, filled with loose tobacco as Drew Estates was known to do. I'd revisit them, but they haven't made 'em in over a decade.

sonarman

Hey Skimmer!
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
That’s mostly what I’ve been smoking lately. Tatuaje brown labels, DPGs, and some original Illusione’s. After spending years and $ trying to find better cigars, the ones I started off with are the ones I like the most. They are consistent and because of that, sometimes they bring back memories. I thought there were a lot of new releases years ago, things have gotten wild now.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I still go back to the JDN Antano and Dark Corojo. The other I still go back to is the Cuba Libre One. Most of the ones I smoked early fell in the category of never smoke again like Te-Amo and Mark Twains. I found My Father early and they still are a staple for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Great topic! I recently found some La Aurora Cien Anos that I used to smoke over 10 years ago. Others were Nestor Miranda, Liga Privada when they first came out (still enjoy), Davidoff Millennium and Special R, and Winston Churchill Chartwells. Mostly expensive cigars! I smoked fewer then :).

I leaned to smoke at a Davidoff Shop in NYC. The guys there were my initial teachers.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Licenciados Cigars were a favorite with me a couple of decades ago....creamy smooth with a salty taste from the head and priced really good for the times. Every once in awhile I'll get a 5 pak of them for nostalgia sakes and they still taste good. CAO Brazilia is another one.....even a Macadoodle can conjure up more nostalgia for the old days.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Every so often I’ll fire up an Ashton VSG for old times sake, but usually I’m left wanting more. Not that it’s a bad cigar by any stretch, but it’s been bumped out of my personal top 10 list for a long while now.

The Illusione original documents series and the trusty RASS will have a permanent place in my humi for a very long time. Those things (and another early fav the Monte 2) are freaking timeless.

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Caribbean Rum Runners. Acid Blondies . Quarum. 5 Vegas Golden Nickles
Nope Nope Nope and Yep. About once a year I'll get a box. That'll last about 4 months, which is good. Because they need a little age.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
27   0   0
My first cigars were really good ones thanks to this forum. I've revisited most of them but I few taste similar...for example, La Gloria Cubana Artesanos de Obelisco used to taste like caramel to me, now I can experience more complexity and the sweetness is less pronounced. I still enjoy it, but I used to like it more back then :)

Edit: first cigar was a gift from a friend... a Davidoff...IIRC...then I came to the forums and got a bunch of really good cigars. From the beginning my goal was to taste as much cigars as I could before marrying up to one or two.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk