What's new

RH and Temp effects

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
It is known that the lower the temperature the less moisture the air can hold resulting in a lower RH. In the winter, the room I have my desktops in drops to around 68 degrees at night and goes up to around 72 during the day.
When the temp drops the RH in the humidors also drops from around 65-66% to around 61% then the RH goes back up with the temp.
Now I know I’m not loosing and gaining moisture during this cycle so is the humidity sort of stored in the cigars and humidifiers since the air can’t hold the moisture and when the temp goes up the water molecules return to the air in the humidors resulting in a higher RH reading again.
If this is so, does anyone know what effect this has in the cigars?
I would appreciate any comments if anyone has also experienced this or has any info on it.

twenty5

BoM 11/09, 4/10 BoY '10
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
If it only takes a couple hrs to change the humidity 5% or so in your humidors I would think that the seals are not too good. I doubt 4 degrees would cause swings like that otherwise. What do you use for humidification? If you use beads, I would think they would help prevent just what you described...

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I wouldn't worry about this issue at all as long as the RH fluctuation is natural as you say and not forced. I've seen people try to reach the ideal 70/70 conditions by manipulating the RH levels using the temperature their humidors sit at as the starting point. This practice IMHO is ridiculous and futile and may lead to damaging the smokes. In your case its completely natural and nothing to worry about.

Hope this makes sense.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
If it only takes a couple hrs to change the humidity 5% or so in your humidors I would think that the seals are not too good. I doubt 4 degrees would cause swings like that otherwise. What do you use for humidification? If you use beads, I would think they would help prevent just what you described...
The seals on my humis are all good and I use beads. The RH change happens gradually overnight. The humi with the most change in RH is a glass top I have and the seal is good on that one too. I fixed it myself and it seals very well. The only thing with a glass top humi is that the glass doesn't insulate temp as well as wood.
Also if the seals were bad the RH wouldn't come back up with the temp because it's always drier in my house during the colder months when the heat is on. This is the only time of year I have this happen.

I understand what you're saying and that's what has me confused.

rick12string

Caught in the Crossfire
Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I'm not going to worry too much or get anal about it. I'm just curious as to where the moisture is going if it's dropping from the air inside the humi and returns with the temp rise in the humi.