What's new

RH down? WTF

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
All my humis are higher than I like now. I like them in the low to mid sixties and they're at 68-69. I wonder why.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Winter months are hell on humidors. I use beads...The air is dry and will play a big part your readings. I will always put a shot glass of distilled water in my humi during these months.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
It might be worth it to add a small humidifier to the room, to help ease the burden. I know when we forget to get ours setup after we move, the humidifier goes nuts, and we aren't as comfortable. If you can help keep the RH up in the room, it's better all around.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
Too few sticks, not enough moisture in the tray you added back. Place a shot glass of water along with the boveda for a few days along with the sticks. Should solve your dilemma. Even a good sealing desk top goes bad when the wood shrinks back inside the desktop.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
All my humis are higher than I like now. I like them in the low to mid sixties and they're at 68-69. I wonder why.
Same amt of moisture in your desktop as before but the temps in the room probably dropped a few degs. So your good sealing desktops, that have the same amount of moisture, raise a few RH points. I see it at the start of winter every year in my basement vinos Ara due to the slight temp drops.

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
No glass. Just super dry air like everyone is saying. If it's not up when I get my trade sticks I may lightly dampen the box to add moisture and tighten the seal. I can already see what the "slippery slope" is all about. Thinking wineador now. Hey Mista, usually the RH should be HIGHER if it's a bellow ground basement. Dryer in summer (unless it's damp for other reasons) that's why it may feel cooler down there in summer. Might be dust or other allergin. Cold winter here in east= more heat= bye bye humidity.
Nice good call on the wineador, I just got a 16 bottle on the cheap. Now I just have to wait untill custom shelves are in the budget. Yes it gets slick fast brother...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Well, I didn't wait till my trade arrived, two days before I got an idea. I took the divider that came with my humi and soaked it in a ziplock w/ distilled for a few hours. It has little foam ends for nice fit. I let it drip off for a min and dabbed it with a p towel to make sure it wouldn't drip and placed it in flat ways just lower than lid lip. I freshened it up twice more over the last three days and just checked it after sitting 24 hrs and xikar read 67%. Worked like a charm.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is that the tray you added needed a little more seasoning. It was absorbing moisture faster than your humidification system could provide it. The addtional moisture was provided when you used the soaked divider.

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
one other thing you might want to try is get a hold of the a bunch of the little cedar blocks that come in some cigar boxes from you B&M. Put as many of them as you can in you desktop. If you have a Desktop that is less than half full, you are going to have a hard time with your humidity. I try to get rid of excess air space in my humidors. Same goes with my Winador, I get empty boxes from my shop.

By getting rid of some of the wasted air space you humi holds better and more stable RH as well as recovers faster when you open up you humi. Try it it works like a charm and you then need less passive humidification devices like boveda packs.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
one other thing you might want to try is get a hold of the a bunch of the little cedar blocks that come in some cigar boxes from you B&M. Put as many of them as you can in you desktop. If you have a Desktop that is less than half full, you are going to have a hard time with your humidity. I try to get rid of excess air space in my humidors. Same goes with my Winador, I get empty boxes from my shop.

By getting rid of some of the wasted air space you humi holds better and more stable RH as well as recovers faster when you open up you humi. Try it it works like a charm and you then need less passive humidification devices like boveda packs.
yup! like a mostly empty freezer having difficulty keeping to temp, an empty humi will fluctuate like mad. those little cedar blocks will hold moisture as well as holding space for future growth, and if you are asking ANY decent shop with at least some form of politeness, they should be able to hook you up. and, if not, i can totally hook you up with a small stack, already in my coolerdor. let me know. o)

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I know this isnt the most glamorous way to store cigars, but I will store my 50 and 25 ct humi in a very large lockable tupperware. i have been holding steady as a rock all winter... But i doubt theres one big enough for a wineador!

Last edited: