What's new

rh fluctuation

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
i know alot of you guys use those beads in your humi's so your rh is always pretty much the same. in my humidors, my rh can fluccuate from day to anywhere from 59-73 % depending on outside humidity. so i have two questions.

1. is it normal for a humidity to rise and fall that much that often?
2. is the fluctuation harming my smokes?:dunno:

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
kirscovitch said:
1. is it normal for a humidity to rise and fall that much that often? NO
2. is the fluctuation harming my smokes? YES:dunno:
You need to check the seal on your humidor. Fluctuations that big are an indicator that the seal is not good. If it changes that much, it's almost like letting them outside of the box. Also, changes of that magnitude will cause the cigars to swell and shrink and will eventually do damage to the wrapper. The feet will begin to swell and crack.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
That is a huge fluctuation and since it varies with the ambient humidity that makes me think your humidor is not sealing well.

I don't think it will hurt them over the short term but over time you may notice it affecting the flavor and smoke-ability of your cigars.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
You got your answers. Check that seal out. :thumbsup: Regardless of what you use for humidification it shouldn't vary that much.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
:rofl: at Todd & Kevin. Great advice. Can always count on the guys around here. :thumbsup:

thebigo

I'm a Carnie
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jwrussell said:
You got your answers. Check that seal out. :thumbsup: Regardless of what you use for humidification it shouldn't vary that much.
unless you're using a regular cigar BOX like I was at a temp. Then, no matter how nice your seal is there's no way to stop the fluctuation. Now that I have a real humidor and beads...it doesn't move more than 1% rh.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
thebigo said:
unless you're using a regular cigar BOX like I was at a temp. Then, no matter how nice your seal is there's no way to stop the fluctuation. Now that I have a real humidor and beads...it doesn't move more than 1% rh.
I've got to beg to differ on this one BigO. The fact that you were using a regular cigar box, in my mind, immediately tells me there wasn't a great seal. So long as the box is made of spanish cedar and has a good seal, then you should expect a steady RH within temperature swings if you are using a reliable humidifier. :dunno: