What's new

RH too high?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
So I have a smaller Sistema container that I've been using for overflow. Calibrated the hygrometer, and put two 65% Bovedas in there. This was several months ago. Since then, the RH has been reading 75% for a while and I'm not sure why. Could the container not be sealing correctly? I confirmed that it isn't the hygrometer....I put it in my other Tupperdor and it read a nice even 65%. Is it the fact that I only have a few sticks in there? I wouldn't think so since the 65 Bovedas should be doing their job regardless. Any advice, y'all?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
They've been kinda rotating in and out...I just finished a 10 pack that had been in there for probably 4 months....right now there are 6 in there that have been in there maybe 3 weeks. I've never had more than 10 in there.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Could the cigars be really wet? That would be my first question. Take the new cigars and move them into the old humi, replace with older cigars and see what happens. What is the RH in your house.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Could the cigars be really wet? That would be my first question. Take the new cigars and move them into the old humi, replace with older cigars and see what happens. What is the RH in your house.
I'm trying that right now! Thanks! IIRC, I think the RH was around 50% last time I checked (in that particular room that has the wine cooler anyway).

BTW I'm going to try some of that aged Sotol next week.
You're going to like it. It reminds me of...say you were drinking and smoking a brisket, right? Then after a few too many, you ended up somehow leaving a shot of reposado inside the smoker for couple hours. It tastes like that. In the best way possible!

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Smokey and oaky

With 50% if your tupperdor was leaky your RH would be low.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Smokey and oaky

With 50% if your tupperdor was leaky your RH would be low.
Must just be the particular sticks I guess. I have a backup hygrometer I'm throwing in there to give me double confirmation.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I'm thinking maybe there is something off about the Boveda packs I'm using in that tupperdor. I put two hygrometers in a ziploc baggie last night along with one of the 65% packs. This morning they read 70-73%. Im calibrating both of them (again) using the ol saltwater test right now just to rule out hygrometer error.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking maybe there is something off about the Boveda packs I'm using in that tupperdor. I put two hygrometers in a ziploc baggie last night along with one of the 65% packs. This morning they read 70-73%. Im calibrating both of them (again) using the ol saltwater test right now just to rule out hygrometer error.
Did you over charge your Boveda packs??? Are they new out of the package?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok. Recalibrated the hygrometer (it was reading 2% high), and put a brand new Boveda 65% in there. Will check it tomorrow to see how it's reading.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Boveda is a great product and company, even so mistakes happen. I haven’t experienced it personally but I have talked with a couple of different people who got packs that were mislabeled.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Ok, looks like we're good now. 67% RH and a nice 61 degrees. Maybe it was those particular Bovedas? We may never know...

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Bumping this for a new question...just shuffled around some sticks and added 10 new ones last night to the large tupperdor. RH is at 72%. Y'all figure this is just because the newbies are a little moist? They are from Holt's if that detail helps...never had any from there before.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yep if the new cigars have been in the humi for a couple of hours.
Added them last night at around 9pm. It also occurred to me that I lowered the temp in the wine cooler to 61 degrees...I raised it to 63.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Kind of weird you are still having a problem. I would understand possibly if you only had a few acclimated cigars and you put in 4 or 5 times their number of new cigars but I imagine you have built up a bit of a collection by now. If you have a smaller setup and you continue with the fluctuation issues you might consider "dry boxing" your new cigars before putting them into long term storage.