What's new

RH too high?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Kind of weird you are still having a problem. I would understand possibly if you only had a few acclimated cigars and you put in 4 or 5 times their number of new cigars but I imagine you have built up a bit of a collection by now. If you have a smaller setup and you continue with the fluctuation issues you might consider "dry boxing" your new cigars before putting them into long term storage.
I think there are probably 50 sticks in the tupperdor in question. I have 4 60g Boveda 65% packs in there too...should be more than enough. Weird. Gonna try that drybox next time I get more than a couple new ones.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Also, it occurred to me that I need to move my temperature down if I want RH to decrease...don't know what I was thinking there...

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
adding a couple of cigars to a humidor will temporarily affect humidity. Should only be for a couple of days, not a problem. don't over think it.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Remember that Bovedas take some time to do their job. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere it is 1% a week.

So if you are at 75% but want to get to 65% it could take up to 10 weeks? I think some of that may depend on how many packs you have in there too.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Oh sh*t y'all...RH is reading 85%...what the hell? :cautious: :( I cracked the lid on the tupperdor and left it inside the wine cooler. My goodness I have no idea why just adding 10 new sticks last weekend caused all this nonsense.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
True but sheesh...that's a massive spike! And my little tupperdor is rolling along evenly at 65-67%.

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
Many of us got tired of forking with having to worry about such things and either went with tupperdors, Coolidors or wineadors. Simple and worry free.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Many of us got tired of forking with having to worry about such things and either went with tupperdors, Coolidors or wineadors. Simple and worry free.
I am definitely getting there. I thought buying a wine fridge to keep my tupperdors in would solve my woes but the struggle continues!

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Back down to 69%. I have approximately 15 new sticks expected to arrive over the next week or two so it looks like the long strange trip in my tupperdor will continue... :ROFLMAO:

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
After a bit of shuffling around and a few days...happy to report that the tups are sitting at 65/67/69% RH respectively and the usual 64 degrees. Switched to 62% Bovedas in one of them that I plan on storing maduros and long-term sticks in. That one always ran 2-3% high anyway.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Aaaaaand another follow up. The big tupperdor, in spite of now having 62% Bovedas, was still struggling to stay below 71-72%. In a moment of possible ill-advised brilliance, I decided to throw a big silica pack in there. A few hours later, RH was down to 60%. This was last week and it's been holding at 64-65% since. Not sure what the hell was making the RH so high in there but it looks like the Bovedas just needed a little help.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You know many of us use dust free silica based kitty litter in our tupperdors. I have a layer, bout half inch in mine, I think it adds bulk to the system helping to moderating RH swings.