What's new

Rib Rub Noob Sampler thread... >.<

The Munt

Observe everything. Listen intently.
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
hey guys,

I am completely new to ribs and they are not as huge down under as in the states.

I am really keen to try some rib rubs as I just got a new BBQ or Outdoor Grill or whatever you yanks call it.

Don't get me wrong we Aussies love a good barbie just ribs are not our best seller is all.

So I would like to propose a trade... Because quite frankly the pics of rib racks on the grill I have seen around here make me Salivate daily.

I send some sticks or pipe baccy (whatever your into) to a Rib Guru (loose term)... And you send me some of your favourite rib rubs or share home made recipes, maybe some tips on temps, times, techniques etc.

So the general gist of it is you get some baccy and I get to learn about something new.

Who knows maybe it will take off for real...

Any takers?(y)

Edit: So it took all of 1 hour to organise a Trade for this it may have a future yet, if anyone else wants in on this as a noob or a sponsor just tee it up using this thread.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Awesome idea! Have you ever had pork with a Carolina Mustard rub+sauce?

Just a thought - maybe anyone who wants to get in on this should get together so we can consolidate shipping? As in, everyone ship to one US brother and PP their portion of the shipping cost to him, before he ships it all to Australia - would require a little coordination, but would probably save big on the cost of shipping across the globe...

Last edited:

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Awesome idea! Have you ever had pork with a Carolina Mustard rub+sauce?

Just a thought - maybe anyone who wants to get in on this should get together so we can consolidate shipping? As in, everyone ship to one US brother and PP their portion of the shipping cost to him, before he ships it all to Australia - would require a little coordination, but would probably save big on the cost of shipping across the globe...
No I have not tried any rubs yet mate! I have cooked ribs before in the oven in foil but really want to try on the grill. I love being outdoors enjoying a smoke and I think it will be another good hobby that's smoke friendlyand another excuse to enjoy the alfresco area.

I get what your saying with the shipping, provided their are many takers that will work well! Happy to do it that way.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
No I have not tried any rubs yet mate! I have cooked ribs before in the oven in foil but really want to try on the grill. I love being outdoors enjoying a smoke and I think it will be another good hobby that's smoke friendlyand another excuse to enjoy the alfresco area.

I get what your saying with the shipping, provided their are many takers that will work well! Happy to do it that way.
I'm looking at international flat rates on the USPS website - because if you enjoy grilling, I can't let you go through life without trying a Carolina Mustard rub/sauce combo. (y)

The trick to pork on the grill, is to cook it low and slow - indirect heat works best. Some grills are better suited for this task than others - a "smoker" as we call it works best, but it can be done on a more traditional "kettle" grill - what does your grill look like?

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
So a SFR to Australia from USA is $26.50. That's all I know.

Thanks for the heads up about the cooking, my "grill" is this... 6 burner gas mate.
image.jpg

The cooking surface is in the bottom right corner.. Only I currently have the hot plate in the centre with a grill each side. Picked it up second hand for $150AU...

If the postage is too expensive I understand mate... Don't feel obliged!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
:eek: Oh no, you're a propane guy??? :eek:

Just kidding brother, looks good! (y) And as much as I love charcoal, the gas grill is well-suited for cooking ribs - the ability to keep a steady temp will make cooking a lot easier. Charcoal can be tricky - I love my charcoal grills, but I've burned more than my share of meat in my day because I either couldn't hold a steady temp, or more often, because my timing method was how many beers I wanted to drink before I was ready to eat. :D

Upon first glance, it looked like it was gonna be 80 bucks or so to ship, but now I'm seeing several options at the 26.50 mark so it looks like my initial idea of consolidated shipping is a moot point. Let's do this!!!

I won't be able to ship anything for a couple days - Monday is a holiday here in the states - so I'll use the time to do some shopping.

You said you're looking for rubs - you do have plenty of sauce options down there, right?

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
:eek: Oh no, you're a propane guy??? :eek:

Just kidding brother, looks good! (y) And as much as I love charcoal, the gas grill is well-suited for cooking ribs - the ability to keep a steady temp will make cooking a lot easier. Charcoal can be tricky - I love my charcoal grills, but I've burned more than my share of meat in my day because I either couldn't hold a steady temp, or more often, because my timing method was how many beers I wanted to drink before I was ready to eat. :D

Upon first glance, it looked like it was gonna be 80 bucks or so to ship, but now I'm seeing several options at the 26.50 mark so it looks like my initial idea of consolidated shipping is a moot point. Let's do this!!!

I won't be able to ship anything for a couple days - Monday is a holiday here in the states - so I'll use the time to do some shopping.

You said you're looking for rubs - you do have plenty of sauce options down there, right?
We do have plenty of sauces and it will probably be a bit easier to keep it to a SFR if we just go with rubs right? Although you sound pretty set on the the Carolina mustard rub / sauce. So if that is what I must try then I will Jedi rub master :) so I'm guessing your a cigar guy more so than pipes right? Based on your activity around here.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
We do have plenty of sauces and it will probably be a bit easier to keep it to a SFR if we just go with rubs right? Although you sound pretty set on the the Carolina mustard rub / sauce. So if that is what I must try then I will Jedi rub master :) so I'm guessing your a cigar guy more so than pipes right? Based on your activity around here.
LOL, yeah, but since it's rubs that you're after, I won't take up valuable space that could be used for rubs unless I can make it fit without leaving out any rubs. I'll have to bring home some packages from the post office to see what I can do.

I was kinda hoping I could get a pet koala, but cigars are good too... ;)

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Hahahaaha I'll work on it, have to get a baby for the SFR though!!

But if I send it as a baby I won't be able to train it to smoke cigars...

Hmm first world problems... Hahaha look forward to the trade mate.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Do yourself a favor and visit amazingribs.com. It's a great site full of recipes and tips for smoking all kinds of meats. A lot of the tips there really helped me out when I first started.
Here are some sauce recipes I posted in the Today's Smoke (Meat Edition) thread...
Here are several sauces I make:
Sweet BBQ Sauce
2 cups catsup
1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp honey
1 tbsp molasses
2 tbsp mustard
1 tbsp bbq rub
1 tbsp Cholula sauce
1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Combine all and simmer for at least 20 minutes.
It's a pretty basic, but delicious bbq sauce that goes well on anything.

Apple and molasses glaze
1/2 cup frozen apple juice concentrate
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup bbq sauce
Combine and simmer.
This glaze works well with ribs and chicken. I add some balsamic vinegar and put it on pork chops, or some cranberry sauce and glaze the smoked turkey breasts for Thanksgiving.

Mustard sauce
1 1/2 cups mustard
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup sugar
1 tbsp catsup
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cayenne
1 tsp smoked paprika
Combine and simmer.
Goes great with pulled pork. It's fantastic on chicken wings. Hell, I'll drizzle it on french fries.

Hot vinegar sauce
1 1/2 cups cider vinegar
1/2 cup hot water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 tbsp catsup
1 tbsp salt
1 tsp cayenne
2 tsp ancho chili powder
Combine vinegar, hot water, and brown sugar. Whisk until sugar dissolves. Whisk in the remaining ingredients, and park in the fridge overnight so all the flavors combine.
This is my favorite way to dress a pulled pork sandwich. Douse it with this, put some slaw on top. Oh man!
Enjoy!
I'd be happy to give you my rub recipe too if you want it.

Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I've never made ribs on a propane grill before. I think if you use just one burner on low at one end and put the ribs on the other end, it would probably work. You want to cook at a temp between 225F and 250F. I've cooked them as high as 275 before without a problem. You'll need some kind of a "smoke box" with hardwood chips in it to put over the burner. I think they sell them for grills, but I used an old metal pie pan in my old electric smoker I started with.

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Do yourself a favor and visit amazingribs.com. It's a great site full of recipes and tips for smoking all kinds of meats. A lot of the tips there really helped me out when I first started.
Here are some sauce recipes I posted in the Today's Smoke (Meat Edition) thread...

I'd be happy to give you my rub recipe too if you want it.
Awesome @Mossome i would gladly receive that recipe and i will try the sauce when i get a chance!

Also out to @multi-useless today. The bird is airborne.

LK901479211AU

Enjoy

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Just got back from the post office - tracky is CW359672945US and can be viewed on the USPS website here: https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction?qtc_tLabels1=CW359672945US

It's not showing up in the system yet, but I just dropped it off, so tracking should work soon.

Thanks for the trade brother, get ready to fire up that grill! (y)
Your a champion... its pretty much been on full time since I started this thread! Thanks for this and hope you enjoy the sticks.(y)

I know I'm gonna love this package, not everyday you get a rib rub grenade...

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I've never made ribs on a propane grill before. I think if you use just one burner on low at one end and put the ribs on the other end, it would probably work. You want to cook at a temp between 225F and 250F. I've cooked them as high as 275 before without a problem. You'll need some kind of a "smoke box" with hardwood chips in it to put over the burner. I think they sell them for grills, but I used an old metal pie pan in my old electric smoker I started with.
A little late to the party, but some wood chips that have been soaked can be wrapped up in aluminum foil, then poke some holes in the top to let the smoke out for a make-shift smoke box. If I'm not using my smoker and want to get some smoke flavor on the grill this is what I do becuase I am too cheap to buy a smoke box. This is my universal rub recipe but I just kinda wing it so I can't give exact quantities: Equal parts salt, white sugar, and brown sugar (the sugar is what makes that nice crispy bark), lots of different chili powders, cayenne pepper, a little cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder.

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
A little late to the party, but some wood chips that have been soaked can be wrapped up in aluminum foil, then poke some holes in the top to let the smoke out for a make-shift smoke box. If I'm not using my smoker and want to get some smoke flavor on the grill this is what I do becuase I am too cheap to buy a smoke box. This is my universal rub recipe but I just kinda wing it so I can't give exact quantities: Equal parts salt, white sugar, and brown sugar (the sugar is what makes that nice crispy bark), lots of different chili powders, cayenne pepper, a little cumin, onion powder, and garlic powder.
I might just try that trick @BrewinHooligan as I don't have a smoke box yet either... planning my first Rib Rack attempt this Friday night with some good friends, cool drinks and cool smokes.. Going to give @Mossome secret recipe a try but there is a lifetime of grilling to enjoy and I will definitely try yours to!

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
This sounds like a great idea! I would love to share a couple rub recipe's with ya.
A simple but tasty rub recipe is equal parts good chili powder and garlic powder with half part of coarse ground black pepper. Some would substitute garlic salt for the garlic powder. This is a great rub for pork shoulder. Adjust it from there to your tastes. I add a little brown sugar and cumin If I'm doing ribs.
I will tell you this, some people over think this stuff but I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S method." Keep It Simple Stupid".

And, Mossome is right about Amazing Ribs website. Another good one is Smoking Meats Forum. Lots of great info on each.
I think there are a couple Ausi brothers on Smoking Meats Forum also.

The Munt

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
This sounds like a great idea! I would love to share a couple rub recipe's with ya.
A simple but tasty rub recipe is equal parts good chili powder and garlic powder with half part of coarse ground black pepper. Some would substitute garlic salt for the garlic powder. This is a great rub for pork shoulder. Adjust it from there to your tastes. I add a little brown sugar and cumin If I'm doing ribs.
I will tell you this, some people over think this stuff but I'm a firm believer in the K.I.S.S method." Keep It Simple Stupid".

And, Mossome is right about Amazing Ribs website. Another good one is Smoking Meats Forum. Lots of great info on each.
I think there are a couple Ausi brothers on Smoking Meats Forum also.
Thanks mate! I'll have to give that a try too!