What's new

Ring gauge and flavor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am by means an expert but after a few years of cigar smoking(previously only a pipe smoker), I have come to the conclusion the the smaller the ring gauge the better the flavor. Some of the sticks that I have enjoyed the least are 60rg, and some one the ones I have enjoyed the most are coronas. Not to say theres no large ring gauges I have enjoyed but have always enjoyed their smaller counterparts more. I really would like to try some Lancero cigars but havent had the chance yet. I've read some people saying blenders typically perfect their blend in a corona size and then just add filler to make larger sizes which would explain why the price from a corona to a gordo cigar in the same line doesnt drastically increase the price. Is the influx with large ring gauge cigars more a fashion/fad type thing or are there actually some of these large ring gauges that are still very flavorful? I almost want to say I am going to start shopping more for coronas than any other size now. I do like to be able relax and smoke the same cigar for a couple hours but I feel smoking a couple smaller sticks instead is more enjoyable. Anyone else feel this way or have any input on the matter?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I would say as a very general rule, you are correct. However I have had plenty of 50 ring gauge cigars that are great. With a smaller ring cigar the wrapper does have a much higher impact on flavour.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not a real fan of large RG but I understand they tend to smoke cooler. As far as the blender's intent I was always told they initially roll Toro's and go from there.

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
I've felt it isn't so much that the smaller RG is always better, but there is a definitive smaller window for error. When a blend doesn't work out very well, it is almost impossible to hide in the smaller RGs. I will say the larger RG seem to be more prone to being under-filled though, creating burn and draw issues. Personally, I gravitate towards coronas, corona gordas, lonsdales and robustos, with an occasional toro for longer sessions.

Blends have to be tweaked for various vitolas and sometimes it just doesn't come out as pronounced. I used to be a huge fan of lanceros, but find them a little on the annoying side these days. I'm a multi-tasker and they are prone to going out constantly when I am doing things other than just smoking. I would still suggest checking them out though, as they provide a unique experience to a blender's vision.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard it was a wrapper to filler ratio issue, with the wrapper being the higher quality leaf. The smaller the ring gauge, the higher ratio of wrapper leaf.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
Completely agree, smaller RGs benefit from the magic filler to wrapper ratio. Plus, giant honking cigars are difficult to draw and don't fit nearly as comfortably in your mouth. That's why i prefer torpedoes/belicosos for my larger RG cigars.

You'll enjoy Lonsdales too, 44x6.5", by far my favorite vitola.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
In the 90s,a 50 rg cigar was rare.
Lonsdales and panatelas were everywhere, and the name "Robusto" had not been thought of. The closest thing was a Rotheschild at 50 x 4.5
Cigar companies used to blend for the corona vitola, as it was the most popular size.
The ratio of wrapper to filler does effect the flavors and aromas of a cigar .
Cool smoking is a benefit of technique,not size.
Cigars have become too large to smoke comfortably, I think this is a gimmick to attract new smokers. It certainly does nothing to improve the taste
I am happy with 48 rg cigars and smaller, with an occasional 50 rg cigar like a double corona, or a perfecto.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
44 to 48 rg is my sweet spot, but I do smoke a large number of Robs. I try to stay away from anything larger then 52 rg. A couple night ago, I attempted a CAO Flathead (58 x 5 1/2). It was a very tasty cigar, but I found the large rg to be very uncomfortable. It did last forever, though. An hour and a half later, I was just starting the finally third, and had to toss it.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
*This is more of a rant than just an opinion on ring gauge and flavor.

Small ring gauge cigars have their charms but i flat out will not purchase any lancero. Too many construction issues... Its the same with torpedoes, i love them but won't be buying any more (unless they are box pressed) since construction issues tend to pop up and there goes my cash.

The biggest thing is that the ever increasing price of cigars has forced the issue and made small ring gauge cigars bad value. Its why the market has clearly moved to large ring gauges since they are less prone to bad draws, overheating, and are generally less at risk of being a dud. For me, 5+ dollars for a cigar is getting expensive. Bad or poor construction is unacceptable. I don't care if they are hand made or how many hands touched them. Its hard earned money and i expect a cigar to perform and duds are painful since i age cigars at least 6 months and refunds aren't happening.

Its clear that i'm not only one and its why the larger ring gauges are here to stay. There is a limit to what people will spend for a cigar since quite frankly there are other alternatives for relaxation like eating at a restaurant or some form of visual entertainment. For me paying 5 dollars for a petite corona or 8-10 dollars for a lancero just isn't happening.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
*This is more of a rant than just an opinion on ring gauge and flavor.

Small ring gauge cigars have their charms but i flat out will not purchase any lancero. Too many construction issues... Its the same with torpedoes, i love them but won't be buying any more (unless they are box pressed) since construction issues tend to pop up and there goes my cash.

The biggest thing is that the ever increasing price of cigars has forced the issue and made small ring gauge cigars bad value. Its why the market has clearly moved to large ring gauges since they are less prone to bad draws, overheating, and are generally less at risk of being a dud. For me, 5+ dollars for a cigar is getting expensive. Bad or poor construction is unacceptable. I don't care if they are hand made or how many hands touched them. Its hard earned money and i expect a cigar to perform and duds are painful since i age cigars at least 6 months and refunds aren't happening.

Its clear that i'm not only one and its why the larger ring gauges are here to stay. There is a limit to what people will spend for a cigar since quite frankly there are other alternatives for relaxation like eating at a restaurant or some form of visual entertainment. For me paying 5 dollars for a petite corona or 8-10 dollars for a lancero just isn't happening.
http://perfecdraw.com

Also... cut the torpedo deeper? Lol

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Honestly the flavor thing varies from stick to stick sometimes a great deal depending on the manufacturer. As I have watch Cgar rollers at work, and honestly I never ever experience where say a rolled who is putting (3) different leave in a blend on a scale to check weight of each ingredient before rolling the Stick. The technique is grab some of "a", grab some of "b", and last grab some of "c', and last put the ingredients in a Cigar Mold with Binder.

Yes there are some brands with consistant flavor from stick to stick in a given size. Padron is all about quality control, and you do not get much color difference in wrappers from a single box of anything they make. Could some nothing by Padron and be happy.

I have found a lot of personal taste differences from stick to stick in the same size. From some of the price point sticks under $3.00 - $4.00/MSPR. Good inexpensive stick in bundles are J.C. Newmann Quorums. IMHO very very consistant at a very low price.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I’ve always smoked in the 48-52 rg range but after reading some of these comments I’m inclined to add some of the smaller vitolas to my collection. I think the 60rg stuff is just a fad and used as compensation for something else ;)

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
yes and no.
for a short time, i was a rg snob, until i had a conversation with @W.B. ... he's one of the most knowledgeable cigar people you will ever meet.

so, the smaller rg gives you a better wrapper to filler ratio. this is true. however, there are other factors at play.
while the wrapper should have the most flavor, the filler leaves and the binder leaf also provide flavor. you also have to take into account the flavor profiles for each of those leaves.
when you finally put them all together, you get the flavor profile of your cigar.
however, the flavors need to complement each other - similar to how sweet and salty complement each other, like on chocolate covered pretzels.
which brings us back to ratios... think of it like a pizza - you have your meat, cheese, and sauce. a pizza with 90% meat, 8% cheese, and 2% sauce will taste vastly different than 34% meat, 33% cheese and 33% sauce.
with each of the filler, binder, and wrapper bringing different flavors to the table, you need to find that right ratio that works for you. ive had some robos that simply tasted better than the same cigar in lancero form.

tl;dr - dont be a rg snob. find the right vitola that gives you the best flavor. it's not always the smallest rg.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The smart enthusiast will choose whatever brand they want but will spread the field by purchasing the brand in different RG to get a "real sense" of the quality. Comparisons tend to give you the real story and providing enough time to season in your humidor will give you a fair appraisal of the cigar in each RG category.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The smart enthusiast will choose whatever brand they want but will spread the field by purchasing the brand in different RG to get a "real sense" of the quality. Comparisons tend to give you the real story and providing enough time to season in your humidor will give you a fair appraisal of the cigar in each RG category.
Totally agree with this and what lead me to my personal conclusion. I would order a smaller rg cigar to try and once I liked it figured id get a larger rg of the same but found that the larger rg of the same cigars had less flavor. So far I have not found a cigar that I like in a smaller rg that i liked even more in a larger rg but have found the opposite.