What's new

RIP Chris Cornell

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
This deal has me kinda blue. I really liked Soundgarden, Audioslave, and Temple of the Dog. I LOVED Alice in Chains (Layne Staley, not the current version) Stone Temple Pilots, and Nirvana. All gone now. The voices of my generation are all but gone. Pearl Jam was great in the early days, but not really into the current style. I'll be 46 this August. Not old at all, but I'm left wondering where in The Hell my youth went. I went from being a "kid" at all my jobs until one day, a kid called me old. Now I'm out of touch and wondering how that happened.
Sorry for the boohoo post, but I'm sure there are a lot of guys my age on the board that define their youth with this music. What are y'alls thoughts? Thanks for listening to me whine

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I was thinking the same thing today while driving...while listening to AIC.

Been feeling old AD lately...
AIC is my favorite of all the Seattle bands. I bought the Mad Season album last night to complete the Staley dicography.
Hell, I have the AIC sun logo on my back window of my truck now

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I definitely need to add Mad Season to the rotation. I don't know why, but I always gravitate to Unplugged if I can't make up my mind...
Me thinks we are brothers from another mother, musically speaking. Cut my teeth on Zeppelin, Rush, Pink Floyd, etc. That is my older brothers music though, grunge was mine

BigSkySmoke

Lanceros, Cowgirls and Burritos
Rating - 100%
82   0   0
Me thinks we are brothers from another mother, musically speaking. Cut my teeth on Zeppelin, Rush, Pink Floyd, etc. That is my older brothers music though, grunge was mine
Yea we are.
Fun story of the day...My father was a pastor till I was 18 and literally had to sneak most of my music growning up. I had a bunch of Zepplin, Doors, CCR, Hendrix on vinyl, which was only ok because my uncle gave them to me. But grunge and punk, was pretty much outlawed. I remember I was 14, rolled my first joint and took the dog for a walk. I was so high listening to Dark side of the Moon, when my parents came home from church, that I just kept giving the dog walks all day...

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
Stayed off the internet for several days besides FB. My favorite rock singer of all time. Saw Soundgarden twice, Audioslave twice, Chris solo three times (once electric, twice acoustic). Still can't believe he's gone.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
To say that I was a HUGE Soundgarden fan would be an understatement. They were hands down one of my biggest inspirations as a musician. Soundgarden was my Led Zeppelin.

I briefly met Chris Cornell during Lollapalooza 2 a SPAC -- it was my first concert, and during Pear Jam's set, it started pouring rain and everyone on the lawn ran in to the amphitheater and shared seats with everyone already inside. I got separated from my older brother, so after PJ's set I decided to return to the lawn to see if I could find him. It was still raining and the lawn was quite muddy. There weren't a lot of people out there, just small clusters of people grouped here and there. As I was walking across the lawn, a voice came from one of the clusters. It was Chris Cornell. He had decided to hang out in the rain and mud and enjoy Pearl Jam's set from the lawn. I was completely star struck and kind of just stood there stammering and acting weird. When it became obvious that I had nothing cool to say, he cut the tension by saying "careful with those Air Jordans-- you don't want to ruin them in the mud." We then had a ten min conversation about sneakers, and he told me that "Eddie (Vedder) is a nut about sneakers". I offered the pair I was wearing to him to give to Eddie, but Chris declined. We talked about music, but all in all it was a weird conversation in which I acted like a total fan-boy. But Chris Cornell was incredibly cool and kind. To this day, I think about how awesome it was that he chose to come out into the rain to watch his friends' band and chat with fans and talk with a 13 year old about music and sneakers.

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
To say that I was a HUGE Soundgarden fan would be an understatement. They were hands down one of my biggest inspirations as a musician. Soundgarden was my Led Zeppelin.

I briefly met Chris Cornell during Lollapalooza 2 a SPAC -- it was my first concert, and during Pear Jam's set, it started pouring rain and everyone on the lawn ran in to the amphitheater and shared seats with everyone already inside. I got separated from my older brother, so after PJ's set I decided to return to the lawn to see if I could find him. It was still raining and the lawn was quite muddy. There weren't a lot of people out there, just small clusters of people grouped here and there. As I was walking across the lawn, a voice came from one of the clusters. It was Chris Cornell. He had decided to hang out in the rain and mud and enjoy Pearl Jam's set from the lawn. I was completely star struck and kind of just stood there stammering and acting weird. When it became obvious that I had nothing cool to say, he cut the tension by saying "careful with those Air Jordans-- you don't want to ruin them in the mud." We then had a ten min conversation about sneakers, and he told me that "Eddie (Vedder) is a nut about sneakers". I offered the pair I was wearing to him to give to Eddie, but Chris declined. We talked about music, but all in all it was a weird conversation in which I acted like a total fan-boy. But Chris Cornell was incredibly cool and kind. To this day, I think about how awesome it was that he chose to come out into the rain to watch his friends' band and chat with fans and talk with a 13 year old about music and sneakers.
Very cool story. I once got to sit with "Diamond" Darrell, (Not dimebag at the time) from Pantera. We sat across from each other and talked tattoos of all things. I even took a drink of his 7 and 7.
Most of the guys I know think I'm full of shit, but this was right before Pantera hit nationwide as a powerhouse with Cowboys from Hell. They were a local band to me at the time. That was a long time ago. (1990-ish)