What's new

RIP Robin Williams

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
A person of his genius tends to affect emotion from so many others and Robin Williams was such a person. The disturbing fact of depression is such a thing that only those who suffer from it know the intense pain it brings...it often follows these types of choices where the person who has it can't feel the same emotions that others do. The pain is such that they logically feel they are better off not experiencing it...that's what depression does. It mimics a divergent logic that tells the one who suffers that it's ok to find an escape and they don't often dwell on how it affects those who survive them....it's their pain and suffering that pushed them to the brink and that is worse than the actual suicide itself. I grieve for such a man who gave much to so many yet didn't see life through a prism where he was able to help himself...very sad day.

ENV

@Driven_not_Hidden
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
RIP to a funny mofo who was the cause of me watching Mrs Doubtfire a million times

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I am sad tonight. Great comedic and dramatic actor, and one funny human being. You will be sincerely missed, Mr. Williams.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
It's very sad. Robin Williams was a great talent, but suffered with depression just many Americans do, taking the cowards way out is not the answer though. Talking to friends, your pastor, a health care professional or therapist is the key to starting to alleviate the issues.

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
It's very sad. Robin Williams was a great talent, but suffered with depression just many Americans do, taking the cowards way out is not the answer though. Talking to friends, your pastor, a health care professional or therapist is the key to starting to alleviate the issues.
I'm curious as to how you acknowledge it's a mental issue, but then call it the "coward's way out." Sigh.

Bittersweet photo I stumbled across just now.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm curious as to how you acknowledge it's a mental issue, but then call it the "coward's way out." Sigh.

Bittersweet photo I stumbled across just now.
[/QUOTE]

I understand depression is something many people deal with. But if a person has kids & decides to voluntarily deprive them of a father, I find it selfish.

Still, during his time on earth, I understand the joy & laughter he brought to the masses. For that, I appreciate his work.

mcroom

RV Wizard
Rating - 100%
53   0   0
I have been in shock the last couple days hearing of this legend taking his own life. It is a eye opener into this disease and I hear that the crisis phone line call volume has gone up with this news. I know what this disease is like but am getting help. I pray for his family and friends during this time of sorrow. RIP Robin Williams.

Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Ok, I'll probably get negged for this but I'll say it anyway.

First, it's sad that he thought the only way out was to end his life. For that I am sorry...for his family. He was a success and lived a fairly full life, regardless of the battles he had internally. I loved his work and grew up watching him.

Second, I'm sick of the extreme media attention paid to this. Shit happens and on this occasion it happened to an entertainer. It doesn't affect our lives, or safety or our freedom. But we'll hear more for the next few day on this from the media because it's earth shattering news. I get he was a popular person and therefore garners some attention. Yes, it will bring attention to depression and help sites/places for it. But on average there are 22 veterans that take their own life every day. Not one word is ever mentioned about them. They've done more for our country than any entertainer, but they're not famous so it's not news worthy. That's what bothers me. I won't lose a wink of sleep or shed a tear for RW's passing, but I do think of our vets daily.

Smoqman

BoM Aug. 2014
Rating - 100%
278   0   0
^

I met Robin Williams at one of the worst times in his life, his old comedy club days. His career was taking off, but he drank incessantly and was broke from his cocaine habit. He wasn't using a lot of his own material for his show but he did deliver it in ways that others could not: he made it funny.

I feel for his wife, his children and his family and friends.

But as my brother above mentioned, others who've sworn to protect each of us are dropping like flies from depression as well, and that is a much greater sadness for me and my family, my brothers and friends.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
152   0   0
Ok, I'll probably get negged for this but I'll say it anyway.

First, it's sad that he thought the only way out was to end his life. For that I am sorry...for his family. He was a success and lived a fairly full life, regardless of the battles he had internally. I loved his work and grew up watching him.

Second, I'm sick of the extreme media attention paid to this. Shit happens and on this occasion it happened to an entertainer. It doesn't affect our lives, or safety or our freedom. But we'll hear more for the next few day on this from the media because it's earth shattering news. I get he was a popular person and therefore garners some attention. Yes, it will bring attention to depression and help sites/places for it. But on average there are 22 veterans that take their own life every day. Not one word is ever mentioned about them. They've done more for our country than any entertainer, but they're not famous so it's not news worthy. That's what bothers me. I won't lose a wink of sleep or shed a tear for RW's passing, but I do think of our vets daily.
As you said Nico, anything that brings attention to this issue is good, even while many suffer and don't get the attention they rightly deserve. I also note, Robin was very active with the USO and support of our troops overseas.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Yes, it will bring attention to depression and help sites/places for it. But on average there are 22 veterans that take their own life every day. Not one word is ever mentioned about them. They've done more for our country than any entertainer, but they're not famous so it's not news worthy. That's what bothers me. I won't lose a wink of sleep or shed a tear for RW's passing, but I do think of our vets daily.
I've already seen a handful of articles posted along the lines of "The hidden illness of middle aged men"... Because one guy killed himself.

You'll never see a new channel run a headline about how there are more military suicides per day than combat deaths. Ever.

And not to compare one's demons to another's, but I just can't sympathize with a rich celebrity's "woes" as much as I can to young man's, who's seen his best friend blown apart & can't find a job because of his issues.

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
Rest in Peace, Robin. It is unfortunate that the ugly beast in his brain was too much for him. I feel for the loved ones that he left behind. It never gets easier, celebrity or not.