What's new

RIP Tony Gwynn (Mr. Padre)

SDShark

BoM May '14
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
I just wanted to give a shout out to one of the greatest hitters in the game, and most genuine human beings on Earth, Mr. Tony Gwynn. He passed away this morning, he was 54. He will be missed dearly!!!

I remember as a child going to Jack Murphy stadium to watch him play, and I could never wait to hear his number and name get called! Some of the best memories.

Who are some if your hometown heroes in sports that have gone too soon??

Rating - 100%
49   0   0
I was watching Sportscenter today and some of his stats are amazing. Hit safely in 75% of his games. Only 34 multiple strike out games for his whole career!! Great hitter and from what I gather all around great guy.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
His commitment to San Diego, The Padres, SDSU, and the game was one of the greatest examples of civic pride I have seen in a long time. When I was a little boy, growing up in LA, I saw him play against my Dad's Dodgers. I have been a Padre believer ever since (thank god I finally moved down here!)

To sports fans who are worried about their team winning, or having the biggest names in the game, being a Padre supporter makes no sense. Me on the other hand... I'll take all the shitty seasons in the world because we had Our Tony.

Aztec for Life. Mister Padre. We'll miss you. Give Junior a high five for those of us left down here in Friar/Bolt country.

BigFoot

Jose
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
That guy could just flat out hit. Imagine if he didn't put on all that weight on later in his career?? His SB stat would of been up there too.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Tony is a class act! My daughter called me. Very upset when she heard. We've been going to padres games her whole life. She has a great collection of memorabilia. Memorial is set for tonight's game

d-boy

Zach Emerson DeBoy
Rating - 100%
80   0   0
It's crazy knowing he's gone. I remember the first time I met him he was just a down to earth guy. So sad to see one of the greats go out like that