What's new

Roach-klip: Luj Morpheus

kockroach

BoM August 2010/2011
Rating - 100%
218   0   0
A couple of weeks ago, I had been in Up Down Cigar here in Chicago. I ran into a guy that I have seen at the Burning Leaf on a number of occasions. We were sitting there talking for a while, and he hands me a cigar. He said it is his cigar brand. I had never realized that he makes his own cigars. I told him that I would smoke it, and post up a review for him.

Jide "Luj" Oluyeba has his own factory in the DR to make his brand Luj. He has a few different cigars to offer. This cigar is called Morpheus. I have to get more information from him...but if I recall correctly, this cigar is 6 1/4 x 54. It features a maduro wrapper, and is rolled to be a medium to medium-full strength cigar, but full in terms of flavor.

The Morpheus is a very well constructed cigar. The wrapper is very oily, has a slight tooth, and has some noticeable veins. A nice firm feel, and a well formed triple cap.

Pre-light, the Morpheus has a light caramel and pepper flavor. The first third of the cigar has a dominant caramel and cinnamon flavor. There is light pepper and wood (possibly oak) in the background. A very good mix of flavor so far. The burn is perfect, the ash is solid, and is medium gray in color.

Moving into the middle third, the cigar takes on a strong oak flavor. Light caramel, cinnamon and pepper round out the flavor. There were at times some slightly tannic notes, but this cigar was rolled recently. It wasn't much, and probably would have been gone if it had sat a little more. The burn continued to run straight, the ash remained solid.

The Morpheus' final third had a flavorful combination of oak, leaf and cinnamon, mixed with light pepper. The burn was true all the way to a tiny nub.

In my opinion, Luj has a definite winner with this cigar. I have some other cigars of his, and I cannot wait to smoke them and share my experience. This cigar is a definite one to keep around. I do know that there are a few shops in Chicago that have his cigars on hand, and he said a B&M with a couple of stores in Detroit is supposed to be getting them as well.

A very good 2 hour smoke. Thanks again, Luj!

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Thanks for the review Jere. I'll have to pick one up from the Leaf soon. The color of the wrapper is gorgeous!

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I've had a couple of his prereleases from last fall. The one was ok and the other that was burned last month was fantastic. But I think those were the CC/NC mixed samples. Thanks for another review Jere!