What's new

Roasted coffee better with age?

Ironman

Master Baby Maker-Feb BoM
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Since roasting my own coffee I have noticed I enjoy the roast more with about 72 hours on it. What are your experiences?
I agree, unfortunetly sometimes I have no choice but to brew up the next day, I need to try to manage closer when I'm running out. It doesnt help when my wife doesn't tell me we're getting low!!!

But definetly degas for 72 hrs makes a difference, I have read where a week is optimal.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Very true Shawn, a few days improves the coffee, but like Ironman I find I usually start drinking it the day after roasting. However, yesterday I roasted several different kinds, so now I have a larger than usual stash. Some will sit a little longer and it does improve the coffee.

This fresh stuff is just great with a nice habano after dinner. Life is very good.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I find that my roasts taste best after 3 days for FP or VacPot and a week for espresso. I think espresso needs more time so that the crema is comprised of mostly emulsified coffee oils and has little or no CO2 "blume". But I think I need to do more research!

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
FP is so simple. Good grinder (entry level around 100-150) and the FP for about 30