What's new

Roaster Comparison

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I've become jaded. I started out with a FreshRoast Plus 8 and it was (and is) a great machine. I had a stuck thermostat on it a couple months ago and while it was out for repair I decided to get a Hottop and have been roasting almost exclusively with that ever since.
Tonight I did 1/2lb of Ethiopian Harrar in the Hottop. It took 18 min. 45 seconds and then a 5 minute automatic cooldown. This drum roaster is a pleasure to use. It's really hands off. Start the warmup cycle, wait for the beeps to tell you it's time to dump the beans in and then kick back and read, surf the net, spark up a cigar or whatever for the next 15 minutes or so while you wait to hear the first crack. Then there's usually a couple minutes (2-4 depending on the bean) between first and second. When you decide it's reached the right roast level simply hit the eject button and read, smoke, surf some more for 5 minutes while the cooling tray brings them down to room temperature.

I then roasted three batches (a little over 1/4lb) of Yemen Mokha-Bany Matar in the trusty old fluid air bed FR+8. I didn't time it exactly but I reckon it took about 20 minutes total. Each roast only took about 3 1/2 min. but then there's the cool down cycle which still leaves the beans pretty hot. I cool them to room temp. with a fan. Then I clean the chaff collector, go to the second (cool) roasting chamber, measure the beans and start again. I really noticed how small an amount of beans it was compared to the 1/2lb +- batch size of the Hottop. I still love the FR+8 but it's definitely more of an intense experience. You can't get too far away from it due to the speed of the roast cycle. I also find it more difficult to do multiple roasts at exactly the same level compared to the HT. With the HT, the roast is easy to duplicate. The flavor of the roast is mellower, I think, with the HT and you lose some of the brightness that fluid air bed roasting gives you, but IMO that's a plus.
If any of you home roasters are considering a larger machine I'd highly recommend the Hottop.

What are you all roasting with?

Eric

Staff member
Rating - 100%
125   0   0
Excellent review Brian. If/when I get into roasting, HT sounds like what I would buy. How much do they run?

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I use the FR8, but as you know have been wanting to upgrade.

Where did you get the Hottop, and how much?

I know the lower roast temps in the hottop would give you a mellower more complex flavor. At least that's what I've heard.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
When my 2nd popper died, and I got tired of roasting small batches, I switched to the heat gun and dog bowl method. Larger batches, better control over the roast, and longer roast times (if you want them) are some advantages.
It does take some getting used to, and you'll make some uneven roasts the first few times. It's not the "load and listen" method of poppers but I think it's more fun.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Hottop's generally run $585 for the original analog model and $685 for the digital at most internet retailers. I got the digital and am glad I did. The only real difference is that with the digital you can get a temperature readout and the time settings make it easier to duplicate a roast profile.
I did a little better on the price. PM me if you're interested.

Kingston, I have tried the HG/DB method and after a few attempts was able to get a pretty good roast. It does make alot of smoke and chaff though! I usually did that on my deck rather than my garage due to the chaff blowing around. I'd also get a little buzz going from breathing all that caffienated smoke. I think the biggest drawback for me was it made it difficult to smoke a cigar while roasting.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
windowrx said:
Kingston, I have tried the HG/DB method and after a few attempts was able to get a pretty good roast. It does make alot of smoke and chaff though! I usually did that on my deck rather than my garage due to the chaff blowing around. I'd also get a little buzz going from breathing all that caffienated smoke. I think the biggest drawback for me was it made it difficult to smoke a cigar while roasting.
BINGO! I totally forgot that the major benefit to poppers or auto roasters is that I used to be able to sit on my patio and enjoy a PC or corona and do my week's roasting.
The HG/DB method requires both hands and is usually done in 15-20 minutes wich doesn't allow for a nice cigar.
I also end up with what my girlfriend calls "coffee hair" from all the chaff it blew up. Maybe I can rig up some sort of large volume auto-stirring heat gun based device.
Ah my inner MacGyver is itching for a project!

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
:rofl: Coffee hair!
I've heard of guys rigging up something like a "Stir Crazy" and mounting the HG on a mike stand for a more hands off approach.