What's new

Rocky Patel Vintage Seconds

Rating - 100%
68   0   1
i order 4 singles, 2 1992 and 2 1990.

I've smoked 1 of each year,

Both are okay, but dont draw as well as the reg label. I smoke the reg 1992 usually....

Not bad, just not AS good.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never tried the seconds. The Gods know I would rather spend $2 on a second that tastes as good but has minor blemishes, than the $12 my local "Brick and Mortar" charges for the ones they stock.

I think I am getting hosed, but there are only three cigar shops that I know of locally, and they all seem to charge about the same price.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought some banded torps (90 & 92) as well as seconds bundles of the same size. To be honest, besides the wrapper colour, I can't tell the difference... Maybe it is my newbie palate? When you can pick up a bundle of 15 for under $35 I don't think I'll be buying anything but RP seconds from now on.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I am a big RP fan. Love the 92's have both the banded and seconds.

IMHO
Taste is almost if not spot on the same. Construction is just below the banded ones. Better chance in the seconds for them to be plugged, have a burn run, more vains, or something else along those lines. Nothing outragious that would turn me away.

Go for it :thumbsup:

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have had the seconds... as everybody as had there are minor blemishes to the sticks, the color of the wrapper might be a little off, they def wont all consistently be the same color..

The flavor is the same to me, burn problems should be minimal if you let them rest long enough before you smoke em to let them acclimate

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I have had the seconds... as everybody as had there are minor blemishes to the sticks, the color of the wrapper might be a little off, they def wont all consistently be the same color..

The flavor is the same to me, burn problems should be minimal if you let them rest long enough before you smoke em to let them acclimate
I have had the same experience with all RP seconds. I have been buying Edge seconds for years and the only diff is cosmetic. The same with the Vintage. No burn problems. I do find that when I pay half for a stick I may be more willing to dump it if its not perfect than one I paid full price. This is more psychological than the cigar.

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have had the same experience with all RP seconds. I have been buying Edge seconds for years and the only diff is cosmetic. The same with the Vintage. No burn problems. I do find that when I pay half for a stick I may be more willing to dump it if its not perfect than one I paid full price. This is more psychological than the cigar.
Exactly.. If i dont like a 2 dollar cigar i have no issues throwing it.. but mostly they are cosmetic issues with the occassional burn problems mentioned above but that can be taken care of in the humidor 9 times out of 10

adodson

linux geek
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
(Newbie speaking...)

I am a cheap bastard. I heard and read good things about the RP vintage, so I bought a 15-pack of the 1990 seconds in Petite Corona size (wish they were bigger, now) for $32 from CI.

I just got them yesterday, and smoked the first. I loved it. I couldn't find a cosmetic blemish (again, newbie here). The draw and burn were perfect. The taste was very nice. I haven't had the banded version, nor the larger RG (but I will soon, for sure).

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
I love the RP Vintages...but after discovering the CI seconds, I won't buy any more retail RPs. There's not enough difference to matter!

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love RP's as well. I have 2 bundles of seconds (90 & 92) and I agree with everyone. They are a good smoke and I will buy more when I run out and I would recommended them to others.

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Well, apparently I had already won these on C-Bid: 1992 Vintage Robusto seconds--$34.50, delivered yesterday, though I just got them today.

I just fired one up and I really like these! These are the 2 dollar cigars?? Wow!

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I have never tried the seconds. The Gods know I would rather spend $2 on a second that tastes as good but has minor blemishes, than the $12 my local "Brick and Mortar" charges for the ones they stock.

I think I am getting hosed, but there are only three cigar shops that I know of locally, and they all seem to charge about the same price.
Bro I hate to say it, but if your paying $12 for a 90 or a 92 Rp of any kind be it torpedo, 60, or any style then yeah your getting hosed. My store has them for less than $9.00 for even the big 60. Sorry bro,

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Bro I hate to say it, but if your paying $12 for a 90 or a 92 Rp of any kind be it torpedo, 60, or any style then yeah your getting hosed. My store has them for less than $9.00 for even the big 60. Sorry bro,
California taxes. We all get hosed.