What's new

Rolling a short filler smoke

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been rolling fairly steady for about six months and have now two bags of leaf trimmings and am wondering what is the best way to use them when I roll. I’ve tried using them as filler but my smokes either ended up plugged or if I roll them to loose way too hot.

Certainly would appreciate any advise on how to make a good short filler smoke?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think one thing is you really have to shred them down to about the plugs of airflow. From what I've seen, get in your pile with both hands and just shred the shit out of it.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
FX Smith's century-old machines use dry flakes about a couple inches square. But these flakes never include the thicker & gnarlier leaves that we often get for filler. And the other key probably is that machines roll looser cigars. Weight is what triggers the specific machinery device that releases the next batch of filler into the binder part of the machine. A good deal of the chattering you hear from such a machine comes from the doodad that shakes these flakes out of the big hopper into the weight triggered mini-hopper that metes out filler to the next gar. The tiniest diff in weight will plug up a cigar. Note again that your flakes have to be dry and thin ... but not uniform in size. So flatten out your scraps, don't cut them too small, use them dry, and don't roll tight.

I'm willing to bet that, the more experience a roller gets, why, the less he worries about it. Even better, I'll bet he wastes less, too.

I figured from my own experience that it's a beginner worry, tho; so I made a vid for worried beginners to show how to avoid creating scrap in the first place.

Easier to avoid than to worry about.

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FX ....in the first place.

Easier to avoid than to worry about.
Thank you very much for the nice video, I’m definitely loosing less but still would hate to loose those two bags.

Got this a little while ago, will try weighing the leaves to see if I can find the sweet spot between too hard or too loose to make something enjoyable to smoke.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am usually able to roll 3 molds of dolls with minimal filler scrap. If its too tight I unroll the binder and take some leaf out. If there is a soft spot or its too tight to fit into the mold, I add bits from my scrap pile. If the pile gets large I omit a leaf from the bends and substitute from the scrap pile. Wrapper scrap I snot6her story. Wrapper leave MUST be trimmed to yield a smooth final product. I usually bag up my wrapper scrap and use it at the next rolling session to fill the robusto mold. Full binder and wrapper, scrap (short) filler.

YvanheTerrible

Yvan The Terrible
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Took the scissors to my scraps and was able to roll a few short fillers using a kitchen scale to figure out the best amount. Worked out well but boy were they ever dynamite when smoked, not sure if they were a little dry or if the left over wrappers are stronger and in general.