What's new

Rolling My Own.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Just got my first order of leaf Thursday,spent a couple happy hours experimenting on sizes and blends.First couple were somewhat ugly,but they started to look better by the 4th or 5th one.

Rolled a few robusto size,then switched to a lancero vitola,then a couple of corona gordas.

The wrappers I got are Conn. broadleaf and "Fronto"{new to me} and they go on smooth and tight. I got Nic ligero and Nic seco for filler,with a small bag of broadleaf for a change of profile. I chose broadleaf for the binder.I got 4 binders and wrappers from each leaf,a surprise to me. The scrap broadleaf had some nice bits too,some good enough for binders.

I got 3 fillers,one binder, and two wrappers to start,just to be sure I had enough,probably will have some wrapper left. Maybe I will use it to practice on yard gars,for a different profile.

I am waiting for them to dry down a bit so I can try them, and watching videos to improve my finishing technique. I am using pigtails now,they seem to be the easiest to do. I left the feet shaggy,I may trim them later.

The site I used for leaf is LeafOnly.com,I spoke to a gentleman named Rich. He was very helpful,and I will be calling him again for another order.....

hand rolls 001.JPGhand rolls 002.JPG

You can tell these are rolled freehand,no molds available for these sizes..........

Last edited:

Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
Have had 5 or 6,the ligero is a bit strong for me {used too much} but the overall project is going well.I have made 6 batches, I have mixed tobaccos and played with the ratios,and the sticks are looking better.I am enjoying just sitting down and rolling,it's relaxing.
These cigars are by no means pro roller quality,but I enjoy them.In spite of the fact they are not aged or really totally dry from rolling, they are good smokes.
The tobacco I have is the reason they are good.It's not perfect cosmetically,and it's young,but it has a lot of character,and I am very happy with it.In spite of my ignorance of blending tobacco,I managed to create a good cigar.
I will probably smoke the first couple batches to look for ways to improve construction,and by the time I am finished,the next batches will have settled a bit,and I will move on to them.
I plan to roll a few each week,and try different blends,and just enjoy the experience........

If any of you are considering trying to roll your own,you can get started for around $60.to 75..My first order was for wrapper,binder, 3 fillers,and glue. So far I have made 40 or 45 cigars and still have a lot of wrapper and binder left,and the scrap broadleaf is a handy training tool as well as tasty.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Have had 5 or 6,the ligero is a bit strong for me {used too much} but the overall project is going well.I have made 6 batches, I have mixed tobaccos and played with the ratios,and the sticks are looking better.I am enjoying just sitting down and rolling,it's relaxing.
These cigars are by no means pro roller quality,but I enjoy them.In spite of the fact they are not aged or really totally dry from rolling, they are good smokes.
The tobacco I have is the reason they are good.It's not perfect cosmetically,and it's young,but it has a lot of character,and I am very happy with it.In spite of my ignorance of blending tobacco,I managed to create a good cigar.
I will probably smoke the first couple batches to look for ways to improve construction,and by the time I am finished,the next batches will have settled a bit,and I will move on to them.
I plan to roll a few each week,and try different blends,and just enjoy the experience........

If any of you are considering trying to roll your own,you can get started for around $60.to 75..My first order was for wrapper,binder, 3 fillers,and glue. So far I have made 40 or 45 cigars and still have a lot of wrapper and binder left,and the scrap broadleaf is a handy training tool as well as tasty.
Just what I need...a new hobby. :widemouth That looks awesome!

Nacho Daddy

Rating - 100%
121   0   0
After 39 years of enjoying cigars,finally I am rolling my own. Feasible? Absolutely,if you are patient and are willing to take time to learn.Maybe I will never be as good as the rollers who make the cigars I like,but I enjoy it and want to improve my technique.I have also thought about having some friends over for a rolling/herf style get together.It would be a hoot to watch my friends doing this.........
I use a plastic cutting board and a sharp pocket knife,spray bottle and a good cigar cutter right now,and newspaper as a mold,roll each blank tightly and let rest overnight.No big investment yet,just the tobacco at about $50.00.I expect to yield 50 or so sticks,and the experience is priceless.......
You can do this if you try..........

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
After 39 years of enjoying cigars,finally I am rolling my own. Feasible? Absolutely,if you are patient and are willing to take time to learn.Maybe I will never be as good as the rollers who make the cigars I like,but I enjoy it and want to improve my technique.I have also thought about having some friends over for a rolling/herf style get together.It would be a hoot to watch my friends doing this.........
I use a plastic cutting board and a sharp pocket knife,spray bottle and a good cigar cutter right now,and newspaper as a mold,roll each blank tightly and let rest overnight.No big investment yet,just the tobacco at about $50.00.I expect to yield 50 or so sticks,and the experience is priceless.......
You can do this if you try..........
See the more you talk like that and share ideas such as that makes me want to make a purchase soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.