What's new

Ron Mexico Churchill

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Never heard of it? There's probably a reason. CI markets these under their "Unsmokables" section and while a bundle of 20 runs $19.99, not many people would be enticed with a heading like that. Well I got one in a trade here a while back as a gag, but vowed that I would review it. Today there was a thread on "garbage cigars" and this cigar naturally came to mind. So today I present for you the Ron Mexico Churchill...

If we forget for a minute this is a super budget cigar, then you'd never know just by looking at it. The Connecticut wrapper is a nice tan color with some darker spotting which reminds me of a pair of leather work gloves. The seams are tight and while there are a few wrinkles in the cap, I certainly have seen worse jobs on more expensive cigars. The band is simple and...well...a little cheesy. Dominican tobacco and measures a slightly chunky (for a Churchill) 7 x 50.

I'm not sure if that's supposed to be some kind of cigar pimp or what running across the band with his trail of smoke, but it makes me laugh. The feel of this cigar is spongy and kind of moist I think. It's hard to describe. There are some noticeable soft spots in a few places which I expected given the price point on this cigar.

What I hadn't expected was the aroma coming off this sucker. When I held it to my nose I did what would have been a pretty good reenactment of a Looney Tunes triple take. There was a distinctively sweet cinnamon, coffee and caramel aroma coming off this cigar. Like a Starbucks Caramel Macchiato. I sat there for a while sniffing the wrapper, expecting each time for it to be a figment of my imagination. I clipped the cap with my newly acquired Palio (thank you very much to the peeps on CBid who didn't outbid me :thumbsup:). Cuts like butter :grin:. Pre-light draw was a light, slightly sweet grassy flavor. Kind of what I had expected given the Connecticut wrapper. Fired it up with a Ronson JetLite and went about doing a few things around the yard and porch.

Well, about an inch in and it's not so God awful that I have to put it down. Flavors are predominately a slightly sweet woody/grassy flavor. But there's been a harsh roasted tinge to it. Definitely a mild smoke. The draw is perhaps a touch on the tight side. The ash is layering well and is a nice white color. Holds strong too, better than I expected.

Further in and not any worse, but not any better either. Not being a fan of Connecticut cigars in general I usually don't find the whole woody/grassy profile to my liking with a few exceptions, but this isn't one of them. I smoked it a little while longer, but once I was done doing what I needed to do outside I put it down. Ended up smoking a little more than half of it.

Overall not awful. I've certainly smoked a few cigars that have been worse. And for a $1.00 you can't really complain about what you get. I could see this being a completely serviceable yard gar if you like the Connecticut profile. Or perhaps for those that aren't a regular cigar smoker, though I'd probably offer them something a little higher quality in an attempt to push them down the slope :grin:.

Dan

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
Are you certain this was made from real tobacco? Too funny that you decided to do a review on this stick.

danthebugman

BoM Nov '10
Rating - 100%
124   0   0
Are you certain this was made from real tobacco? Too funny that you decided to do a review on this stick.
If it was a hamburger patty it wouldn't be no 90% lean black angus or anything, but more like the stuff they use in the taco meat at Taco Bell :laugh:. It's still meat though...right?

Dan

JDog

BoM Nov '12 & May '13
Rating - 100%
423   0   0
If it was a hamburger patty it wouldn't be no 90% lean black angus or anything, but more like the stuff they use in the taco meat at Taco Bell :laugh:. It's still meat though...right?

Dan
Since it's trademarked or something like that, I think they can say that it's real meat... kind of like real cheese. We better watch out! We may be part of the next Taco Bell Beef Lawsuit...

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
Hey Dan, great review. I've actually had one of these before and can say that your review is accurate with my findings. I can think of quite a few more wasteful ways to spend a dollar. I don't fire up a premi unless I can give it the attention that it deserves.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Nicely done. I used to try a lot of the CI odd brands. Never really found a winner but some interesting smokes. Finally gave up. This would make an interesting thread--Sticks I Dared To Try .

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
I'm not going to lie, that band is pretty awesome. Haha If I ever made an alias, I might make it Ron Mexico. I must say though, with an alias name like that I need a mustache and a black curly mullet.