What's new

Ropa Vieja

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well, I had the impulse of writing down a recipe for this whilst reading the Introductions forum. This here is a recipe of a classic Cuban dish which's name translates to: Old Clothes.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ingredients:
---subrecipe---
2 pounds Flank steak
Water
1/2 White onion
1 Tblsp. Salt
2 Garlic cloves, peeled
Salt and pepper
---------------
1/2 White onion, chopped
1/2 Red bell pepper, chopped
1/2 Green bell pepper, chopped
3 Garlic cloves, minced
3 Tblsp. Olive oil
2 pounds Shredded flank steak
1 tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. Pimenton (Spanish paprika. It has a sweeter taste than the latter; though ye can use paprika)
1 can Tomato sauce
1 can Tomato paste
(Ye can substitute the above for fried, pureed tomato)
1 cup veal or beef broth/white wine/Mexican (or if ye can Cuban) beer
Salt and Pepper
---subrecipe---
1 cup Rice
Water
1 Garlic clove, peeled
Lard
Salt and pepper
---------------

Procedure:

---subrecipe---
Boil the meat with all the ingredients (salt and pepper as well) until tender (2-3 hours).
Cool and shred the meat, saving 1 cup of broth.
---------------
Add the onion and pepper to a pot, along with the oil. Sautée and then add the garlic, oregano, pimenton (carefull not to burn it, for it bitters the dish).
Add the tomato sauce and paste, the meat and the broth, letting it cook in medium flame for aproximately 45 min. (until the sauce thickens). Season to taste.
---subrecipe---
Cook rice in normal way. Brown 1 clove of garlic in bacon grease. Add grease to the cooked rice and mix well.
---------------
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well...I hope ye enjoy.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Thanks Moro, I will have to try this out. There is a Cuban restaurant -Habana in Costa Mesa, Ca that prepares an excellent Ropa Vieja. I get it damn near every time I go there and smokes on the patio after, also potent mojito's (When I used to drink).

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm hungry, but this looks like too much work for tonight.

Wish we had a good Cuban restaurant around here so I could see what it's supposed to taste like before I attempt it myself.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Looks good. I may have to try this one.

Do you take requests? How about a Carne Guisada recipe? and not the nasty ones with tons of tomato paste added, the kind I got at a small restaurant somewhere in between Mexico city and Veracruz. I still think about that place every now and again...Allthough I think carne guisada is Puerto Rican or Brazilian in origin.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Looks good. I may have to try this one.

Do you take requests? How about a Carne Guisada recipe? and not the nasty ones with tons of tomato paste added, the kind I got at a small restaurant somewhere in between Mexico city and Veracruz. I still think about that place every now and again...Allthough I think carne guisada is Puerto Rican or Brazilian in origin.
I can most certainly take requests. I'll be posting this one tomorrow. (We could get a daily dish thread or something along the lines...).

EDIT - Forgot to say, yeah, it is Boricuan (Puerto Rican).

Greg

BoM October 2006
Rating - 100%
119   0   0
Thanks for the recipe bro!

When I think of Cuban cuisine, I always think orange and pork, or Cuban sandwiches, I always forget Ropa Vieja though. But it works, and is an excellent way to prepare flank steak, though you can use skirt steak as well :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Actually I did try it a few months ago at the Cuban place in Chandler, and didn't remember before. It was great! Now that you've given us the recipe, I ought to try to make it if I ever get around to cooking again (when we were first married I used to cook a lot, but it took forever and my wife has the speed down pat.)

Shmear

Megan the Great
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hmmmm, that sound delish! Why shall i go to your house? (without my dad scolding me 'bout what freak'n time i'll be back home).
How come i never heard of that cuban dish, i mean, you've heard my dad mention a few, but that one i'v never heard!

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Hmmmm, that sound delish! Why shall i go to your house? (without my dad scolding me 'bout what freak'n time i'll be back home).
How come i never heard of that cuban dish, i mean, you've heard my dad mention a few, but that one i'v never heard!
Well, ye know I'd cook anything, anytime for ye, Meg!