What's new

ROTT ...how long in the humidifier?

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm not trying to age these cigs. These sticks are 4-5 days in transit without humidity pack. After UPS drops them off I want to smoke 'em as soon as possible. How long should keep them in the humidifier before smoking one ?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You may consider another vendor if you want to smoke them as soon as you get them. Lots of on-line cigar stores will ship with Boveda packs, usually a bit too wet for smoking immediatly but better then being crispy

If you really want to smoke one right now go ahead and give them a test.

According to Cigar Star

Can you tell if a cigar is too dry or too moist by examining its appearance and feel?
Here are some signs that a cigar may be too dry or too moist:
Signs that a cigar is too dry:
  1. Appearance: The wrapper may look dull, discolored, or brittle, and may crack or split when handled.
  2. Feel: The cigar may feel hard or papery and may not have its normal springiness.
  3. Burn: The cigar may burn unevenly and produce a hot, harsh smoke.
  4. Draw: The cigar may be difficult to draw, or may produce a loose, airy draw.
Dry cigars have the worst flavor, only thing worse than a dry cigar? A over humidified cigars……
Dried Out Cigar

Signs that a cigar is too moist:
  1. Appearance: The wrapper may look shiny or greasy, and may have an irregular appearance.
  2. Feel: The cigar may feel soft or spongy and may not have its normal firmness.
3.Burn: The cigar may canoe (burn down one side) or tunnel (burn a hole down the center), and may produce a heavy, wet smoke.
  1. Draw: The cigar may be difficult to draw, or may produce a tight, restricted draw.

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to give mine at least a couple weeks. Have had some gnarly ROTT experiences at both ends of the humidity spectrum.
this kinda says it all, I tend to be impatient with new sticks (ones I have never had before) some are OK but the majority of them where nasty ROTT!! and the ones that where smokable change drematicly after some rest.

start at a couple of weeks and try one and take it from there.

I bought a Tatuaja sampler( everyone raves about them here) and tried one ROTT it ws so bad I put them in the bottom of my humidor and forgot about them. then last week I grabbed one and it was great. that was about 6 months maybe???

I should have tried them a little sooner :cautious:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always wait @ least a month, but prefer 2 months. As stated above...some are good rott, but most are not for me. I'd rather not waste the $ on risking it.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I never deviate from this process:
1. Triple-freezer-bag all newly received cigars
2. Freezer for 72 hours
3. Leave on counter, still in bags, for 24 hours
4. Unbag and put into humidor

I will sometimes try a stick at a week, but usually wait a few weeks just to sample. Most of my stuff lies for a year before I smoke it, but I've been building my stash for like 15 years.

Try it at a week. If it's good, smoke on. If not, let the rest rest for a bit longer.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've almost always had the experience of cigars being sent way to wet to be even passably smoked (at least from most vendors, Cigarbid used to the exception with them shipping too dry sometimes). You are going to lose little to any moisture content during shipping unless you are shipping via say container...to the moon. I've literally had boxes that were unsmokable, to the extent that I left the box OUTSIDE the humidor for several weeks, and then they started smoking well. Had that experience with couple boxes of HVC 500 years, unsmokeable, then, few weeks out of the humidor, started to become smokeable, then after, I kid you not, a month out of the humidor they blossomed into fabulous cigars. Now, granted, Florida, so even with AC ambient humidity is higher, and I smoke outside, which compounds that, but it's why I tell people that 60-90 days ought to be your standard, and I've had boxes that have take 6-9 months in humidor to drop down to smokeability.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I've almost always had the experience of cigars being sent way to wet to be even passably smoked (at least from most vendors, Cigarbid used to the exception with them shipping too dry sometimes). You are going to lose little to any moisture content during shipping unless you are shipping via say container...to the moon. I've literally had boxes that were unsmokable, to the extent that I left the box OUTSIDE the humidor for several weeks, and then they started smoking well. Had that experience with couple boxes of HVC 500 years, unsmokeable, then, few weeks out of the humidor, started to become smokeable, then after, I kid you not, a month out of the humidor they blossomed into fabulous cigars. Now, granted, Florida, so even with AC ambient humidity is higher, and I smoke outside, which compounds that, but it's why I tell people that 60-90 days ought to be your standard, and I've had boxes that have take 6-9 months in humidor to drop down to smokeability.
I thought it was just me who has experienced cigarbid sticks being super dry almost without exception! Those suckers I always wait at least a couple months for. I have had some CRUNCHY sticks.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought it was just me who has experienced cigarbid sticks being super dry almost without exception! Those suckers I always wait at least a couple months for. I have had some CRUNCHY sticks.
Honestly, was one of the reasons I stopped buying there long ago (other than their selection becoming too homogenous and bland due to MAP, I mean, how many 5 Vegas and PDR does anyone, really, need???).

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Honestly, was one of the reasons I stopped buying there long ago (other than their selection becoming too homogenous and bland due to MAP, I mean, how many 5 Vegas and PDR does anyone, really, need???).
That's more than reasonable. I rarely do either, save for occasionally stocking up on some lower priced favorites. But the few times I've bid on higher-end stuff and won...crispy city even after months. :cautious:

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I start out at 2-3mweeks, but in most cases my willpower gets the best of me and I still try one ROTT. At least that gives me a basis for comparison to gauge their progress with time. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it lololol)

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Cigarbid is fun and you can sometimes get some pretty inexpensive cigars. Problem is CigarBid sells mainly entry level cigars, when they do have quality smokes you end up paying prices similar to other sites because of the amount of bidding action they get. Those people can be crazy, wanting to win the bid so bad they have little concern about what they are actually paying. If you like the auction style try Cigar Auction Online | Cigar Auctioneer

Most of us just shop sales at any number of other sites. I know Best Online Cigar Shopping Experience Around! (smallbatchcigar.com) always ships with a small Boveda pack and they sell quality, well cared for cigars.

We all have our favorites and the options are almost endless. Keep an eye on this thread, when we find deals we post them

The Official Cigar Deals Thread | BOTL Brothers of the Leaf® Cigar Forums

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cigarpage has good deals usually and free shipping. Have read some not so great reviews and opinions, but I have been happy w/ them overall.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's a good alternative to Cigarbid?
Cigar Page can be a good alternative if you catch the sales. The downside is that shipping is slow at times and packaging can be borderline negligent.

I like Atlantic Cigars with their "Direct Price" being $30 - $100 cheaper on some brands. A few brands are still nearly MSRP because of the manufacturer.

Cigar Monster use to have awesome deals, but I haven't looked in years.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I start out at 2-3mweeks, but in most cases my willpower gets the best of me and I still try one ROTT. At least that gives me a basis for comparison to gauge their progress with time. (That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it lololol)
This is my method.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rest almost all of them 2-3 weeks. Like said above sometimes I can’t resist though. I know it’s not scientific if I get the itch and can’t wait I’ll “feel” the cigar. If it feels a bit wet I have a small humidor I use for dry boxing. I’ll drop it in there for a day or two and give it a try. But if they are really wet I’ve found dry box can cause issues also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk