What's new

Rums

Mr.Erskine

I am the Walrus
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I keep touting this rum, and will continue to do so because it really is good, and you may have seen me say this before,

but

I highly recommend, if you can find it, Delaware Distilling Company Spiced Rum. It has a fantastic aroma and flavor!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Turns out Zacapa is harder to find than expected. Tried three different places. Two of them didnt carry it and the other sold out of it. Gonna keep looking in other places or ill just pick out a bottle of something else.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I haven't had a lot of rums, but this is the best one I've had Diplomatico Reserva Exclusiva. I was given a bottle as a gift I measure it out carefully :)
Diplomatico is tasty. Drinks a lot more like a scotch that I expected but still carries that sweetness of rum, just not overly sweet. Unfortunately I can't get it in the state of WA for some reason. The sample @Wasz sent me was fantastic and very much appreciated. After researching this I learned that it is a rum blend and is matured in bourbon and scotch casks. I remember getting fruitiness and a hint of candy like flavors but that distinct "scotch" finish.

Thanks for all the suggestions! Whats the usual price range on Zacapa? I see there is a 23 and an XO. Any preference between the 2?
My wife got me a bottle of the XO for Christmas and yes, there is a difference. I can't say its worth double the price but its nice to have a nice bottle to enjoy.
The 23, when the bottle is first opened, can have a bit of a bite to it. Nothing extreme or really displeasing, just not as smooth as it gets after having been opened and allowed to breath for a few hours. I have learned to open the bottle and leave it on the counter for a few hours and know that it will lose its edge in a few days. This one can be quit harsh on the first pour but the flavors are still there. Once allowed to settle I get chocolate and coffee with a short finish of candied sweetness (I read caramel a lot for this and agree). If not settled add in a bit of bite and a longish lingering finish.

The XO comes right out of the bottle smooth as silk. Similar flavors just mellowed to a palate pleasing level from the get go. This seems to go better with cigars that the 23. I have read reviews that state that it has notes of tobacco. I get a hint of chocolate, fruity sweetness and a vanilla sweet finish with some zest to it. It settles on the back of the palate and lingers for quite some time but does not interrupt the smoking of a cigar.

Id also like to suggest another one for you to try if you can locate it.
Kirk & Sweeny 12 year. Id been meaning to grab a bottle but always ended up just grabbing another bottle of Kaniche (its about $10 cheaper a bottle and literally right next to it) so I just figured I was gonna get to it at some point. I finally was able to sample the K&S at a bar and it was damn tasty. I got honey and vanilla with a smooth medium length finish.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
My favorite is Mt. Gay X/O. Should be able to be found in the $40-50 range. For a cheapie (under $20), that's very smooth, with rich, deep, dark molasses notes, try Gosling's Black Seal.View attachment 74913
I like that one too. Not big into rums but toured the distillery while in Barbados so I'm biased. Get it just occasionally though as I'm a bourbon guy. The longer it's aged though the more bourbon characteristic it picks up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Diplomatico is tasty. Drinks a lot more like a scotch that I expected but still carries that sweetness of rum, just not overly sweet. Unfortunately I can't get it in the state of WA for some reason. The sample @Wasz sent me was fantastic and very much appreciated. After researching this I learned that it is a rum blend and is matured in bourbon and scotch casks. I remember getting fruitiness and a hint of candy like flavors but that distinct "scotch" finish.

My wife got me a bottle of the XO for Christmas and yes, there is a difference. I can't say its worth double the price but its nice to have a nice bottle to enjoy.
The 23, when the bottle is first opened, can have a bit of a bite to it. Nothing extreme or really displeasing, just not as smooth as it gets after having been opened and allowed to breath for a few hours. I have learned to open the bottle and leave it on the counter for a few hours and know that it will lose its edge in a few days. This one can be quit harsh on the first pour but the flavors are still there. Once allowed to settle I get chocolate and coffee with a short finish of candied sweetness (I read caramel a lot for this and agree). If not settled add in a bit of bite and a longish lingering finish.

The XO comes right out of the bottle smooth as silk. Similar flavors just mellowed to a palate pleasing level from the get go. This seems to go better with cigars that the 23. I have read reviews that state that it has notes of tobacco. I get a hint of chocolate, fruity sweetness and a vanilla sweet finish with some zest to it. It settles on the back of the palate and lingers for quite some time but does not interrupt the smoking of a cigar.

Id also like to suggest another one for you to try if you can locate it.
Kirk & Sweeny 12 year. Id been meaning to grab a bottle but always ended up just grabbing another bottle of Kaniche (its about $10 cheaper a bottle and literally right next to it) so I just figured I was gonna get to it at some point. I finally was able to sample the K&S at a bar and it was damn tasty. I got honey and vanilla with a smooth medium length finish.
Thanks for posting this Z. I just learned a bunch of stuff. Very cool.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Turns out that diplomatico is fantastic stuff! Bought a bottle and had about 5 glasses of it first go lol.. Compares really well against the Barbados plantation rum I mentioned earlier. Beautiful mouth feel and slightly sweet finish.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
Turns out that diplomatico is fantastic stuff! Bought a bottle and had about 5 glasses of it first go lol.. Compares really well against the Barbados plantation rum I mentioned earlier. Beautiful mouth feel and slightly sweet finish.

Sent from my GT-I9506 using Tapatalk
Yeah, like I said, I'm not someone who drinks rum or really ever tried to drink rum. That stuff though, I liked immediately. I love it with a good cigar.