What's new

RyJ Short Churchill

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

Just completed a box pass. Lots of interesting and new cigars to try now. Based on this, I thought it would be fun to spend some time reviewing some of the new sticks that are outside my comfort zone. The only downside to this is that I might end up expanding the number of marcas that I buy. LOL

First up is the RyJ Short Churchill. I've heard good things about this cigar and never had tried one. Looking forward to seeing what it is all about.

The wrapper is a creamy, light shade of colorado brown. Reminds me of coffee with two creams. The construction is impeccible. Very dense. No soft spots. A slight give when squeezed. No veins to speak of. A well constructed cigar.

The head of the cigar is actually square and the actual cigar seems to be a little box pressed.

Aroma off the cigar is cinimmon, rich chocolate (like hot chocolate actually).

Cold draw after a quick punch is very woodsy, a hint of ginger? The draw itself is very loose, which surprises me as the foot seems well packed. The cut on the foot is actually concave, not flat across. Wierd.

Time to take this to the flame

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

The cigar takes to the flame easily. Billows of smoke coming through. The draw is actually pretty good.

A few initial puffs are quite harsh. Loads of oolong tea and nothing else. There is a bitterness that I am unaccustomed to in a bad way. Very tannic. I am guessing that this is a youngster. Will have to stick this one out to be fair.

Some good strength to it. Oolong tea is the alpha male in this cigar. Very hard to discern other flavours. The bitterness reminds me of buckley's cold medicine. Didn't expect this at all.

Starting to get some cedar notes. They are fighting their way through the oolong tea.

The burn is a little wonky but seems to be trying to straighten itself out. Will let it work things through.

The aftertaste is fairly lasting. Reminds me of burnt coffee beans. Actually, there is a metallic taste to it.

The ash is a whitish grey. Can't say I am enjoying this so far.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

As I get to the 2nd third, I start to wonder if this is in a sick period.

Flavours are starting to come around. Oolong tea, cedar, some pepper and soap??? The tannins in this cigar are strong, to the point it is making my lips pucker. Time to grab some water.

The burn line remains wonky. Time to give it a touchup. The afterfinish is starting to show signs of black coffee however, that metallic taste is still apparent. The bitterness is overwhelming.

Very strong niccotine content. You can taste the tobacco in this one for sure.

Starting to debate whether or not to continue to smoke this thing as I don't see signs of the harshness going away.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0

That's it!!! Time to stick a fork in this one. I am done. I had such high hopes for this cigar. It just didn't come together for me.

I am hoping that this is in its sick period as this was not in my wheelhouse at all. Tannic, fairly one dimensional, bitter. Maybe my palate needs a break. Who knows?!?! I am searching for some positiveness to share but it escapes me.

The positive news is that this won't be on my buy list anytime soon.

Time to go brush my teeth now.....

bballbaby

Nov '08 BoM
Rating - 100%
183   0   0
The RyJ Short Churchill is, and has been for several years, my favorite cigar. It's my go to cigar on a rainy day, a pleasant evening and for celebrations. A faithful standard.

Although the PSD4s rom 2007 are coming on pretty good. But the RyJ shorts are always good no matter what.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Sounds like it was sick, or at least too young. With a bit of age these are toasty and creamy, with some nice sweetness and baking spices here and there. Very good cigars.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
I've never had a really good one! Some have been smokable at best. Just split a ten count of older 06 or 07s, I'll have to light one up and see if it is any better.

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I found these to be great and very reliable. Maybe you got a bad stick. The tea flavor is prominent but I always get a nice mellow spice with a pleasant underlying sweetness on the finish.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Wow, I didn't get any of that out of the ones I smoked. Nicotine was nearly nonexistent, with a completely different profile of tastes. Although, mine had a couple of years on them, perhaps that was the difference. I really enjoyed the ones I've smoked.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I've gone through two boxes of RyJ Short Churchills and each one was pretty good and consistent; I can't say the same for many other Cuban brands.

Smoke another one, I'm thinking you got a dud.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
yeah, wasn't that impressed when I tried one either. Not sure what the box code was on the one I smoked. Just know it sucked and I don't particularly have the will to worry about seeking out cigars you have to be cautious of box codes to enjoy.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Much agreed with the other statements here, art. One of my favorites. I'm guessing they are sick, because not experienced the same soapy or tannic flavours you are describing.

This is the one cigar my fiancé will actually smoke. Not sure if lends or takes away credibility. ;)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it was sick, or at least too young. With a bit of age these are toasty and creamy, with some nice sweetness and baking spices here and there. Very good cigars.
I was about to say the same thing; the metallic twang and harshness sounds like symptoms of a young cigar.

MaverickDrinker: I thought of smoking my Short Churchills.. your review has made me decide to age it a bit more. Thanks for the great review! :)