What's new

RyJ Vintage III (Robusto)

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Romeo Y Julieta Vintage III (III denotes the Robusto)
Orgin: Dominican Republic
Size: 4.5" x 50 ring
Price: $5.20 (best box price I could find divided by 25, got mine in a sampler)
Total smoke time: approx 1-1.5 hours

This was today's lunch smoke. I was hoping for something better than the Reserva Real I had had a couple of days ago during lunch. Construction seemed just as good as the Reserva Real. Firm to the pinch, but not too firm with an interesting multi-layer cap. A much lighter wrapper than I've smoked in quite a while...maybe caramel colored, though that might be too dark. There was one prominant vien running from the cap to under the band where it seemed to disappear. I nipped the cap with my Xikar which seemed to cut cleanly until I noticed part of the cap pealing, maybe should have used the punch. Lit her up with my Colibri torch and proved to myself that I really need to figure out how to light a cigar with a torch in the daylight. Just can't see that damn flame. The burn was fairly even the second half but had a scallop early on. I tried to correct it and ended up with about 1/4" of char all around...damn sunlight.

Pre-light draw was easy with some great tastes...almost salty. Lit her up with my Colibri torch and proved to myself that I really need to figure out how to light a cigar with a torch in the daylight. Just can't see that damn flame. The burn was fairly even the second half but had a scallop early on. I tried to correct it and ended up with about 1/4" of char all around...damn sunlight. As I lit up there was quite a bit of pepper on the tongue wich subsided after about the first inch or so. The tastes didn't develop much, or I just couldn't discern them. Not a bad cigar, but nothing special to it either. There was a bizare (not bad, just strange) taste on the upper palate that took me a while to figure out, but after a few minutes it hit me: unbuttered, unsalted popcorn! No idea where that came from, but that's what it hit me as. A very toasty tobacco taste otherwise.

A so-so cigar that I won't be searching out again. :smt102

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Good review... I love to hear when cigars arent always good, their not.

But I think that it's just alot easier to review ones that are great, when as the reader I like to hear all sides... good, bad and other.

Thanks man!!

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well done matey!

IMO I don't like it if people only reveiw the good cigars.. then it becomes a sales pitch of sort.. a review should be impartal and the forum itself should encourage reviews with both good and bad outcomes :D

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Good review, it is rare to find one that someone was honest and stated that it was not the best smoke.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the review! i think i have one of these in my sampler from Jr's as well..

When i light it up, i'll post my thoughts as well!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Mali said:
Thanks for the review! i think i have one of these in my sampler from Jr's as well..

When i light it up, i'll post my thoughts as well!
Please do! Even better to have multiple people's opinions. In fact, if you want, pm me when you do or with your review and I'll edit mine to include it...kind of a joint review. :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just smoked on of these on Monday. I actualy enjoyed it alot. Wrap was a nice natural light color made it so I was not worried about it nocking me down. I found that it cut just fine, no problem with it coming undone at all. The pinch was firm with a smooth draw. Lit up great with a simple BIC lighter, I had it lit a little uneven but after 2 big draws it evened out just fine. Had to let it rest a little bit after starting it and then smoked it slow to keep it cool (I can't stand a hot smoke) never had a problem with it going out on me. Flavor was good a nice pepper with a small bite, rather consistant through the entire thing. Didn't leave any aftertaste and rarely had to clens the pallet.

I'd say for what I payed ($3ish) it was a good smoke, but I need to smoke some more cigars before I judge it at its normal price ($5ish I think). If you like a simple cigar and get a chance to pick one up cheep I'd say go for it, I would pick another one up if I had any cash and saw it cheep.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I smoked one tonight,the I 6x43. Alotta pepper up front with not much else going on. Not as smooth as I had expected. For the money I'll smoke something from Rocky,I've been in an RP groove lately.