What's new

Saint Luis Rey Churchill, 1996

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, we got 6 boxes of these bad boys into the shop down here about a week ago and my boss, well the first thing he did was break one open, pull two sticks out and tell me, " Right lets get these done ".

Now, I am not an experienced cigar smoker, I've only been smoking for about four months and this is without a doubt the most complex cigar I've ever smoked, so I thought I'd do a review and bang it up on here and get some opinions from youse lot...

Cut: Straight guillotine

Feel: Quite hard, but with a little give, as you would expect no soft spots.

Wrapper: a little dry, dark caramel, not a lot of oil, I guess because of the age.

Pre-draw: firm but not tight, again limited experience. What I mean is that I don't have to work hard to pull air through but there is a little resistance,

On the pre-draw: flavours of hay, cedar and a little honey.

1st third: Cedar, slightly floral, reminiscent of fresh soft herbs or a clean white wine. Burn is razor sharp, wanders ever so slightly but always self corrects. Not masses and masses of smoke, but more than enough.

2nd third: Much the same as the first third, but a little fuller, beginning to get some more earthy flavours and a little pepper. 'Clean' floral notes wander in and out. Still plenty smoke.

3rd third: Wow, I mean seriously wow. Flavours really open up, huge earthy tones. Big mineral, almost metallic flavours, kind of like when you eat a bloody steak and you get all the taste in the back corners of your mouth. Really, think a perfect medium-rare steak and you'll (hopefully) get what I mean.

My boss is tasting chocolate and some espresso coffee as well but I couldn't taste anything beyond the mineral and earth.

Time: About an hour to an hour and a quarter.

Conclusion: In all honesty I think this cigar was a little beyond me, I fully enjoyed it but as a beginner all I could really find were the big bold main flavours that took over in the third third. This is a cigar that long-time smokers are really going to go nuts over (my boss is still and it's over a week later!), but for us beginners I think something less full and a bit more medium is going to be more rewarding.

But all the same wow, I would smoke this again in a heartbeat.

interesting my boss got a big nicotine kick off this 'gar, but I was totally fine.

Maybe I was just taking my time

Last edited:

r3db4r0n

BoM Jan '11
Rating - 100%
69   0   0
The pallet always develops with time, none the less, you did a pretty good job of getting across what you did taste. Thanks for the review :)

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Excellant review and pic's my friend! :thumbsup:

Thanks for sharing your experience with us!

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
Great review! Sounds like you really enjoyed the cigar.

SLR Churchies are one of my absoloute favorite cc's.
I have a few boxes in my humi, but the oldest is 00 or 01.

I was in your shop about a year ago, but you guys were remodeling, and the selection was limited...How are things now?

Thanks for the review, and welcome to BOTL!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Clint

The selection is back up to speed and we are starting to carry more of the vintage cigars as well. I'll keep you suspense as to what we've got because we (I) want to smoke them before we sell them all, but as and when I get to smoke one I'll stick the review straight up on here and share the news.....

Shmear

Megan the Great
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
If you're hesitating sometimes about the smell or taste, try to have in handy the basics: cinnamon, cedar, leather, earth, coffee, cacao/cocoa and smell them, little by little you'll identify them with more preciseness, then, little by little you'll be wondering about the new flavors you can't identify, try to look for them.

None the less, very good review ;)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I was doing alright on the palate front until the last third and then I just got overwhelmed by the really big strong flavours, I just couldn't really taste 'past' them. I used to be a chef and at the risk of flattering myself I know 'how' to taste it's just a matter of learning how that translates to cigars... But yes for a complete beginner to tasting, having a palette on hand to compare to is invaluable...

I was unsure whether i could apply white wine or steak to a cigar, because of my training I guess I'm always going to compare to food flavours rather than anything else, but I figure if that's what I taste then that is what i taste. I didn't get any leather or cinnamon from this cigar. At the start they were all what I would call light, sharp tones and then it changed utterly to these big, round, full earthy tones.

Stunning...but too much for me to get any of the undertones, more practise that's what I need, now where did I put that box of '98 Bolivar Immensa's?

Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Wonderful review. Beware of 99-00 SLR Churchills. Very prone to being plugged. I have a box of 01s that are wonderful. A bit on the mild side, but nice flavor.