What's new

Salted Coffee?

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
My grandmother used to add salt to coffee. It is an old trick to cut the bitterness of cheap coffee. Now that we have good beans there is no reason I can see to do this.

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I've heard of this & done it myself. Doesn't do much IMO.

With access to good coffee (not to mention sugar & cream), It's really not needed.

(You might notice it more when drinking it black.)

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Old school. My Dad would do that usually when making cowboy coffee. Not something I really enjoy.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
Old school is right, I believe this is an old Navy trick. When water was strored in metal tanks on boats, it would turn really bitter, the salt cuts the bitterness. I do it everyday, for the office coffee. just a pinch, but it makes a huge difference if you have to tolerate bad coffee.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Old school is right, I believe this is an old Navy trick. When water was strored in metal tanks on boats, it would turn really bitter, the salt cuts the bitterness. I do it everyday, for the office coffee. just a pinch, but it makes a huge difference if you have to tolerate bad coffee.
Life is too short for bad coffee.:disappoin

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
This is the first I've heard of 'salt coffee' aside from the old trick others have mentioned of adding a pinch of salt to bad coffee.
I'll keep an eye peeled in the coffee circles and report anything I hear about it.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
I'm trying a little sea salt sprinkled on top of the grounds in teh brew basket this morning. I doubt it will make much of a difference considering how Brian's (your) beans are nothing close to bitter as it is.

Danilo

"The Target"
Rating - 100%
116   0   0
Hmmm... First... I already have a hard time with coffee as is... Now people go and add salt to it? I just don't see it.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Speaking of salty coffee.....I was at a new shop this morning training staff for their grand opening on the 16th (a 100% Black Dog Coffee shop, by the way!). We covered coffee basics and drip coffee and were moving on to their espresso equipment. Their head barista pulled me the first shot to try and when I took a healthy sip I got a mouthful of salty espresso....blech! :barf:
They had forgotten to flush the machine after recharging the salt in their filtration system. Man that was rough!