What's new

Sampling Scotchs

WARDOGG

Crusher of Hopes & Dreams
Rating - 100%
10   0   2
Saying this while I'm drinking some Balvenie 21 y/o that I just picked up at the store...:bottle:
I just picked up some Balvenie 15 yr at Costco of all places!!!!! It's extremely good. I think it's one of my top three Single malts now.

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
Lagavulin 16 year old! I agree with the other brothers on this one. When I drank I went through a Scotch period and I tried a $hit load of different bottles. Some cost a lot more some less but I always came back to Lagavulin - Scotch Nirvana!:skew:

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
if you ever get the opportunity to try Old Fettercairn, don't pass it up. I'm not actually sure if anyone in the US sells it or not, it's a mid-sized Scottish Highland distillery. The 30-year was THE BEST SCOTCH I've ever tasted. It was unreal.

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I second Ray's scotch prowess. He's steered me right on more than one occasion.

I often enjoy whiskies (including blended scotches) on the rocks but I prefer my singles without ice. While adding water often opens up some flavors, chilling can dull others.

As do some kindred spirits here (no pun intended) I much prefer the Islay malts...Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 10/15, and Caol Ila 18 are favorites. I also enjoy Talisker , from the only distillery on the Isle of Skye (the Highlands), similar in style to the Islay malts but with a more pronounced, medicinal character. Then there's the old standby, the Glenlivet...especially the 18- and 21-year-old expressions. But there's also Ardbeg, Oban, Scapa, Glenmorangie, Aberlour...too many to mention.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Wow, that is one cool product (the cooling "ball"). I do sometimes like to cool off my whisk(e)y, but I don't tend to like much ice as it dilutes the flavor too much for me. I'll have to keep my eye out for that.