What's new

San Andres Maduro Wrappers

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
I have strong sense that I'm in a distinct minority here, but I have found that I dislike the San Andres Maduro wrapper. I fully expect a wave of support for the opposition, but just I thought I'd put that out there. I've compiled a list of cigars that I believe use the San Andres that I'll try to maintain for both camps....me: so I have list to generally avoid :) and the rest of you, in case you're seeking out cigars with that 'flavor'.
I haven't tried every cigar on this list, so maybe my 'judgementalness' is a little unfair. I have tried more than half of those on my initial list and didn't get excited about any of them, despite often being a huge fan of the natural versions.

**** I put the PAM on here, but segregated at the bottom due to 'rumors' that Padron has both used San Andres and/or has used San Andres seed, grown in Nica - Snopes wasn't any help here :) Regardless, I find PAM's to be generally good cigars that taste like they've been tainted with the same burnt toast that the others have.

101 San Andres
A Turrent Maduros
Cain Maduro
Cremo Classic Maduro
Emilio AF-1
Est. 1844
Flor de las Pedro, (Maduro flor de las Antilles)
Gispert Maduro
Gran Habano Azteca Double Maduro
H Upmann Reserve Maduro
Illusione Maduro
La Aroma de Cuba Mi Amor
La Palina Maduro
La Reloba Seleccion Mexico
Liga Privada Undercrown
Montecristo Reserva Negra
Murcielago
My Uzi Weighs a Ton (incl Baitfish)
Nica Libre
Nub Maduro
Oliva V Maduro 2010, 2011, 2012
Omar Ortez Originals Puro Maduro
Ortega Series D Maduro
Romeo y Julieta Viejo
Saint Luis Rey Maduro
San Lotano Oval Maduro
Tempus Maduro
El Titan de Bronze redemption maduro
Viaje Samurai Maduro
Viaje Satori Edición Limitada 2012
Viaje Skull & Bones M?stery BP
Viaje WLP Stuffed Turkey Dark Meat

****Padron Anniversary Maduro

I have put on a coat and steeled myself for the incoming barrage, so go ahead and bring it

Last edited:

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
dude, no big, smoke what you like. leaves more for us. o)

for me, SAmad just doesn't scratch the itch like CBL, but i don't dislike it. and the Vmad and UC are both piled in my stash right now!

oh, and to be a completionist, wasn't the '10 serie V mad (torpedo) the first year to use san andreas, IIRC?

Rating - 100%
95   0   0
I agree the San Andreas has a distinct taste, and you are not alone in preferring other maduro wrappers (I know I prefer CBL generally)... However, since I've really never met a type of maduro wrapper I dislike, I very much enjoy the SA and most of the cigars on the list. One other I would add is the FDL Pedro's....

BMack

Some say I'm a dreamer...
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Some of those cigars I like, some I don't, some I haven't tried...distinct flavor or not, it generally comes down to the blend. That being said; there are other wrappers I prefer.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Thanks, javaj - you're correct - edted to add 2010 V maddie.
Afraid I'm not familiar with the FDL Pedro, StocktonJohn. FDL?

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
Thanks, javaj - you're correct - edted to add 2010 V maddie.
Afraid I'm not familiar with the FDL Pedro, StocktonJohn. FDL?
IIRC the Flor de las Pedro, which is supposedly a maduro flor de las Antilles. store exclusive or something? i have not had, but i have seen john mention a couple few times.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, so I clearly love this wrapper as every maduro on this list I've tried I have liked or loved.

I love: LADC Mi Amor, Ortega Serie D, La Palina, Oliva V, Viaje Satori
Really like: AB Tempus, San Lotano Oval
Like: La Reloba
I had a MUWAT and an undercrown and don't remember being impressed but maybe I need to give them another try.

Thanks for the list as this will be a nice guide for myself.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All depends on the blend for me. Some, that wrapper works wonders, others it does not. I will say this from personal experience, the SAmad can be a royal pain in the ass to work with.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I love the SAmad myself, One of my all time fav smokes that isn't on the list is the El Titan de Bronze redemption maduro.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For what its worth, do not under-estimate the impact of binder/filler when discussing overall cigar flavor. While a smaller ring gauge will pull more flavor from the wrapper, larger RG will pull more from your binder/filler.

There are SA Maduros on your list I happen to like and others I do not. So the paragraph above definitely comes in to play.

It could be that SA Mads with DR filler are not your thing - while SA Mads with Nica filler are more preferred. (just a thought)

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
^+1. I think it depends more on the blending than just the SA wrapper. I do seek them out depending on the stick. Illusione Singulare 2012 uses the SA maduro and it is one of my favorites right now. That said, the Illusione Maduro line doesn't do it for me. Same marca, but the overall profile is just different.

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
A cigar to add to the list is the Murcielago. This is the cigar that really made me look out for the San Andres wrapper. It's not what I smoke all the time, but I do enjoy them as well as some others on your list.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Appreciate the discussion. I'm not swearing off the wrappper on cigars I haven't tried yet. I completely agree with 'smoke what you like'. I'm actually pleased that after 8 years of enjoying cigars I can finally start to identify more nuances of specific tobaccos that I like/dislike. There are at least 8 cigars on the list that I really liked natural versions, but couldn't get into the SA Mad at all. I do like that this flavor is specific enough for me to pinpoint and avoid, if I choose. Just like CBL maduro is fairly narrow, specific and unique flavor that I like and seek out. So many others become challenging to pigeon-hole - I'm having a particularly hard time with Sumatra/Ecuador habano wrappers on mostly nic blends. Love most, but not yet able to nail down origen of seed/plant - differences seem more nuanced.