SIZE: 4.50x50 Robusto
ORIGIN: Cofradia, Honduras
WRAPPER: Maduro (Connecticut Broadleaf)
BINDER: USA/Connecticut
FILLER: Dom Rep, Honduras, Nicaragua
SHAPE: Robusto, box pressed
VENDOR: JR Cigars
PRICE: $1.80 per stick (box price); current B&M retail is $3.25 each
AMBIENCE: Eleven PM Wednesday evening in my garage with a space heater going. Cold outside but nice enough in the garage; around 45 degrees F and 90% humidity
BEVERAGE: Coffee
APPEARANCE: Box pressed with slightly rounded corners. (There's a distinct difference between "box pressed" and "square pressed" which almost has sharp edges like the cedar filler block in some cigar boxes.) This is one of the oiliest wrappers I've ever seen; absolutely beautiful. It could be possible to run a car engine on this oil if one wanted to ruin good cigars for mere transportation
PRE_LIGHT: Tasted like cocoa with a hint of cedar and smelled almost like a Hershey bar
DRAW: Opened it with my 1/4" punch and the draw offered perfect resistance
FIRST_THIRD: Upon lighting, this stick had a fairly close resemblance to the HdM maduro, but it soon developed into it's own thing. The flavors that came to me were chocolate and a buttery heavy sweetness with a touch of cedar and grass.
SECOND_THIRD: The buttery taste came stronger to the forefront, while the other flavors sort of mixed around each other. Although having simple flavors, the cigar did not strike me as one-dimensional since the taste-profile did change during the course of smoking it.
FINAL_THIRD: It did get a little stronger (although not a bit of harshness) towards the nub, and developed a slight peppery taste also. Stayed buttery til the last half-inch though. Used a toothpick to nub it and left only 3/4" when I finally went inside.
BURN: This one had a perfect burn, although I'll admit that perhaps 1 per box of the ones I've had do develop a slight canoe. I imagine this is mostly due to the box press and the very oily wrapper. It's important to correct the burn as soon as possible since it does effect the taste of these if the correct amounts of binder and wrapper don't burn with the filler. Usually a hit with a torch fixes it up easily.
ASH: Very white solid ash with a yellow center. Broke it off with a hammer when it was an inch long. This past summer I had one that didn't ash until right before I nubbed it.
SMOKE: Put out quite a large volume of blue tinted very thick smoke.
STRENGTH: This is what I consider a Medium strength cigar. It did get a little stronger towards the end when it developed that little bit of pepper in the taste.
FLAVOUR: Chocolate, butter, slight cedar and grass.
FINISH: I didn't want this to end; it went so well with the coffee. The finish lasted for a good half hour after I went back inside.
SMOKE_TIME: About 50 minutes.
IMPRESSION: The double maduro's have only been around since 2002, and I hope they don't ever get it into their heads to change the mix. I also hope they don't double the price, as I'd still buy them regularly, it would just cost me more. These are in my regular rotation and I usually keep about two boxes on hand. Yard cigar prices for a very very nice smoke. One day I'll have to try out the other sizes as well as the other styles of the Sancho Panza line. I've got half a box that's two years old and I'm trying to hold off until they age another two years to see what they taste like then.
RATING: 7 out of a possible TEN wooden matchsticks.
COMMENTS: After many boxes of these, I have found that the only consistent problem with them is that after punching, the caps sometimes have a tendency to fall off. I usually just re-attach it with a spit-repair, but have just thrown the cap away before, as this wrapper is oily enough that it never unravels. Several reasons that I like these: first they taste good right out of the box, they are consistent from box to box in taste, and at $36 per box of twenty these may be the best value in cigars available anywhere today.
PICTURES: http://wm26.inbox.com/thumbs/41_a4eca_5f8ad9_oJ.jpg.thumb

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice review. I have smoked several of these and love them. Being fairly new to cigars, can anyone recommend other cigars with similar flavors and strength.

architeuthis

I see what you're doing!!
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Nice review. I have smoked several of these and love them. Being fairly new to cigars, can anyone recommend other cigars with similar flavors and strength.
The HdM Maduro (and to a lesser degree the HdM Dark Sumatra) and the 5 Vegas Series A have similar tastes, at least to me. Other maduro's that I like are the Chateau Fuente, CAO Brazilia, Padron 2000. There's a bunch of them.

If interested, I can send you a "sampler pack" of what I like to smoke. Try 'em and see if you like 'em.

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
Thanks for the review. I like your format. The Sancho Panza DM Quixote was my first box purchase and I don't regret it at all. Great smoke. And pretty lengthy for how small in profile it is.