What's new

Satellite Imagery

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Have you checked this out yet?

link

Click on the satellite option near the right-hand side - start zooming or search for your city, then zoom. Welcome to "Enemy of the State"

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
I've been playing with this all day. It's pretty cool. I even went back to my boyhood home in NJ to check on all the growth there. Holy toledo.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was playing with it earlier. The maps here are a few years old, but its still pretty cool.

Mike

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Funny, I found my parents house in NJ as well. Scarey thing is that they could send a missle right though my roof...

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's funny is this stuff has been available to the general public on a "pay-as-you-go" basis for a while now. It just hadn't hit mainstream until Google got ahold of it. There are some sites which offer 1-meter resolution images for not too much money. That's an image which can clearly show objects down to 3 feet in diameter. You can get some images around major metro areas for even greater resolution.

So next time you are enjoying yourself in the comfort of your backyard, be sure and flip off the sky every so often....at the very least it will keep the neighbors guessing.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
Typically the satellites image the earth between 10am and 2pm local time so time it right.

I work for a software company that makes the program the DoD and a large portion of the commercial sector uses to analyze and manipulate that stuff...it's pretty cool.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
The US govt has had small Hubble-like satellites in orbit for decades. The movie "Enemy of the State" is really not too far off the mark ...

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
I found my house, all of my old schools, all of my old houses, all of my friends houses, some other cool places I've been to, and then I figured out you could see the whole world and not just North America, so I checked out the places in Europe and Asia that I've been to.
Pretty cool stuff.

Lol, I just went there my second time. I totally did not know you could zoom in while using the map feature - I did it all from the actual satellite picture. This way is a lot lot quicker!

TYLER

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Pretty cool, makes me miss the old Mapquest where you could zoom in even closer than that. I have fun finding all my old apartments.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Along the lines of govt. paranoia...

I introduced GIS technology to my place of business a few years back. In particular, I showed the owners how by using the zip code info we got for each transaction, I could show where our guests were coming from. With that I could get the demographics for those areas, and then I could look at similar places around cities such as Austin, Houston, and DFW. Of interest were the places where we weren't getting visitation, but yet the demographics were the same.

I didn't realize it at the time, but when we took this data to our ad agency, they got all excited. Apparently, via digital cable, you can target ads to specific zip codes within a designated marketing area. So rather than pay to put ads all over Houston, we could just purchase for a specific area. It ended up saving us several tens of THOUSANDS of dollars in the ad budget.

I thought that was cool, but then I heard the ad execs bragging about the possibility of being able to target the INDIVIDUAL viewer via digital cable. And it wasn't like this was that far away...

So, not only can they look in your backyard, they can look at what you are watching on TV. And it's possible that one day in the not-so-distant future, you may be watching your TV when, during a commercial break, it blurts out, "hey, [insert name here], why not try this excellent cigar from [insert cigar brand here]. Give us a call!"

Ah, the 21st century is going to be so interesting!

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
yea definetly like trying to find a needle in a haysack for me... Living in th country is hard yes but trying to find my condo in downtown Atlanta is pretty damn hard as well....

I like the software and yes it has been available for years.... people have just been to cheap to use it...