What's new

Savenelli Pipes?

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
I'm extremely new to pipes. I am however, extremely experienced with antique restoration (helped my parents until college), so I thought restoring some estate pipes was a good place for me to start acquiring better pipes. I was working and smoking, which is were I usually get in trouble for bidding on the devil site.. But I ended up on ebay bidding on lots. I scored a couple of decent looking Savenelli pipes. But as I've said, I have no idea what I'm doing or anything about pipes. Are they any good? I can post pics once I get them, but for now, I just am wondering if they are good (prolly should have asked BEFORE bidding, but what ev).

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
They are good pipes but even with the best Pipes there always seems to be a dud or 2. Some people say that they are good Starter pipes. Problem with me and my small collection of 80ish pipes is I have loads of pipes that others don't like. But I am here to enjoy my Hobby/past time and if I want to Smoke Dr. Grabow, Savinelli, Medico, Roma and what ever I have that others dislike. I tis ok because if I am smoking them I must like them..

Savinelli are in most cases very nice pipes and well made. They have some lower end ones at times but I have seen some of the pipes as high as a few hundred as well like a Artisan Bent Billiard a couple hundred....

James

in the end you can get a pipe lot for say 50 to 100 with a nice Gem hidden in there that is worth more then the whole lot so all is well. I hope you enjoy restoring some pipes

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Sadly I buy pipes more then I should. 7 pipes are great. I smoke to much tobacco. I think 7 or 10 pipes of Great Quality is better then 80 of ok quality. I like Dr. Grabow and 26 that I have right now are still not enough. I keep looking for others to add to my collection. I will in the next week have 2 more Savi to add to my collection. Don't have any Peterson or Boswell yet but they are in my cross hairs as well.

James

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As others have said Savenelli makes good pipes. Do a google search on pipe restoration and you'll find a lot of information both in written and video form.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
from the surface it looks like it would take little work to make these guys into beaters, and just a little more to make them into winners. and sav is a safe bet on all teirs, as far as i have seen. nice score, and i hope you enjoy!

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
yeah, im pretty pumped. I want to start doing this as a hobby, not as hardcore as Grrr, and I will probably never be that level either... But I think it should be fun. Especially since I got these cheap, if I can turn them into something pretty, I'll be more than ecstatic.

One quick question to all who have restored pipes... I watched a guy today use a white diamond compound, however, I have aluminum oxide compound readily available. Aluminum oxide is slightly softer than diamond, but was wondering if I could use that to buff it, before polishing it with carnuba wax.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I am also finding that restoring estate pipes is helping my appreciation of pipe smoking in that I learn a lot more about each pipe. And, from the pictures, they look to be in really good condition (no chips or large flows) so some basic cleaning/sanitizing/waxing should bring them back.

Nice pick up!

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
How did the new pipes make out? Really like my 4 Savinelli's one of the new ones I just picked up is my all time fav

James

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
The two savs were in wonderful condition. I'm currently trying to acquire some white diamond buffing compound and carnauba wax to get them to shine. Tried out the apple (the straight one, IDK what shape it actually is) and it was the best smoke ever. Compared to my no name bent, it has an amazing draw. Excited to polish them up.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
That is awesome, Congrats on the nice find, I am glad that you have found some joy in a Savinelli, I am very fond of my latest Estate Savi's that I picked up. Smaller one is a 626 Pocket Savinelli and the larger one is a 622KS Standing. I don't smoke with the filter or the inserts and they smoke like a dream. infact the 622 is now my favorite pipe out of my collection. Smoking the 622 right now and just got done smoking the other didn't clean it up yet was going to do that after i looked at the forum. Would love to see your pipes after you give them a buff and wax. I have the white diamond no wax right now so I have been using Fine Pipe Paragon Wax. Not as good but works. Need to order some more restore supplies before long. My winter time is spent on pipes and working on our farm equipment.

James

Last edited: