What's new

Savinelli Series III Pipes (unfinished briar)

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...

Savinelli Series III are pipes that didn't make the cut during production. They weren't good enough to complete the manufacturing process and become one of the finished Savinelli lines. This is due to the presence of too many pits and fills that couldn't effectively be hidden by rustication in their lower end product. Lucky for us, instead of scrapping them all together, Savinelli fitted them with either black Vulcanite stems or butterscotch Lucite stems (Lucite shown above) and made them available to the consumer on the cheap! The pipes are kind of unique, as the wood breathes better and they are significantly lighter due to the fact that there is no stain or wax applied. They've been a bit hard to come by the last year or so, released whenever Savinelli decided they had enough to push out to retailers, but they have shown up again a couple times over recent months.

If you've got a Sav Series III, show it off here. Actually, any unfinished briar. We want to see! Especially if you've got progression pictures of "new" through "now" showing how it's taken on color.

Last edited:

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
The main reason I wanted to create this thread was because a Brother here mentioned that someone on another forum stated these were crap, and "more filler than actual briar."

Below are detail shots of all the filler in each of my three Series III.

Model 310 - Poker

Model 315 - Prince

Model 320 - Author

Obviously, that "more filler than briar" comment was a stretch. Honestly, the only reason I can imagine these weren't completed and sold off as finished pieces is that any pits, cracks, or fills on the rim couldn't have been concealed by rustication. They're great smokers, no different than any of my other Sav, and the only regret I have is that I didn't pick up a few others when I had the Lucite stem models available to me. (I just personally prefer the Lucite to the black Vulcanite)

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Clint, awesome post man! I think my decision has been made :)

I'll probably pull the trigger on one of these next week! Too bad they don't offer the Lucite stems on P&C.

Very informative and very enabling post :)

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I kind of like these. Not to derail from Savinelli, but this is almost like my Eric Nording Signature pipe. All natural briar and no stains. Color's coming along nicely as I'm smoking in it. I have my lone Savinelli now but have my eyes on others too. These might be in my sights. I'm assuming they still come all packaged in Savinelli fashion too correct???

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
I kind of like these. Not to derail from Savinelli, but this is almost like my Eric Nording Signature pipe. All natural briar and no stains. Color's coming along nicely as I'm smoking in it.
Show us pictures!

Actually, any unfinished briar. We want to see! Especially if you've got progression pictures of "new" through "now" showing how it's taken on color.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
@CVAC085, actually, I think it might depend on the vendor. Mine came in an unbranded box with nothing extra. Oh, and I don't know about the Vulcanite, but the Lucite stems are non-filtered.
Well that kind of sucks...but again we're getting ones that didn't make the cut. Ehh still looks like a nice pipe anyway. Flaws and all.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I have an unfinished diplomat that smokes great. I was on P&C last week and had an unfinished Author in my cart and someone sniped it before I could finish checking out! Bastids.

Oh well... Don't really need another pipe.

The Diplomat I have had a bunch of fills and grain that's all over the place. And I don't care. It's there to smoke and it excels at that. Plus it's hard to beat the price on these!

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
no real point Yan.. other than unfinished pipes are usually 2nds, and are normally much cheaper to purchase.. they are normally "2nds" only due to the aesthetics.. and smoke just as well as a finished pipe would.. its just a matter of what you like or dont like..

Ive been tempted several times to pick up unfinished pipes.. and just havent pulled the trigger (Ive already got 10x pipes.. which is far more than I really need in my rotation since I normally only smoke a pipe a couple of times a month other than in the winter, when Ill smoke them a good bit more often)..

The_Rev

Chaplain of Saints and Sinners
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
What is the point of unfinished Briar?

I don't get it. :(
A few things: First and most importantly, some people, myself included, like the look of unfinished wood. Secondly, the unfinished wood breathes. Like a meerschaum, its color changes over time and some pipe smokers like that. They're cheaper which for me is a big plus. I'm much more a pipe smoker than a pipe collector. If the rig is less expensive, in a style I like and it smokes well, I'm in.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A nice project pipe IMHO. If you do finish and stain them, stain them dark and take a Sharpie or something and darken the fills even more than the rest of the wood. Because the fills won't darken further with age whereas the briar will.