What's new

SCDLH La Punta review

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
well, Ted the mad bomber (AKA Ratbert) hooked me up with a pair of these beauts recently. very rainy here in so cal lately, so, i started up the fireplace, pulled the recliner next to it, and smoked my first inside cigar (and it worked, since my daughter didn't even know! smoke went straight up the chimney!!).

good-looking smoke. very well constructed. pre-lit draw was earthy, dusty. lot's of smoke upon light. twas a bit harsh for the first few puffs, but mellowed out quickly. this one was on the other side of the spectrum from the H Upmann, which had the coco, coffee tastes. i detected sweetness,, not sugar sweet, more like floral. it had a cedar bite to it that blended quite nicely at the half-way mark. it grew in strength, and, toward the end, i found myself wanting to spit after each puff, and it left me light-headed.

within the first 1/4, there was a significant tar buildup at the nub. had to dab it with a paper towel a few times (doesn't taste good!). It also wanted to tunnel quite a few times, which was easily corrected with the torch. I did have to pay attention to it, else it went out.

lasted a little over an hour. drank a Dos Equis lager to start, a port to finish. not bad....

Overall, a great smoke with a different profile. i probably should have left it alone for a while,,, it was just so darn good looking!

thanks Ted!!

jeff

frankluke

Pipe Snob
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
reason i ask,is because i've heard of tar build up when people use a v-cutter or a punch...

palios kick ass,best cutter for the money out there.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Chocolate and coffee is the theme with this cigar. Almost too much for me. But they are good when the mood strikes me.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Coincidentally, I just tried one of these, gifted by a buddy, from 2003. VERY nice, kind of reminiscent of a nicely aged Monty #2. I used a dickman cut and had the same tar experience. However, I got rid of it by purging a couple of times, keeping the flame thrower going til the tar was gone each time. I gotta say that I don't remember another cigar producing that much tar burn. Anyway, a very nice smoke.