What's new

Schip Vote Is On And Has 8 Minutes Left

marccote

Cigar Companero Editor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The vote to override the veto on the SCHIP bill that will raise taxes on cigars is currently in vote now. Looks pretty good for the veto to stick and no $3 tax on cigars

marccote

Cigar Companero Editor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The veto is not override and the SCHIP goes down in flames, lets help congress make a bill that will really hlep our kids and not penalize just the cigar smokers but funded maybe with alcohol and other taxes and make it across the board more so we can have it funded and help the right way.

The vote to override the veto on the SCHIP bill that will raise taxes on cigars is currently in vote now. Looks pretty good for the veto to stick and no $3 tax on cigars

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
It does not go down in flames. If you don't think this will get re-submitted you're being naive. We will see something like this again. I'm sure of it.

blessednxs65

Is it Nicaraguan
Rating - 100%
33   0   0
This is the response from IPCPR

Veto Override Vote Fails

Finally, this critical vote failed to pass the House of Representatives in a floor vote today. The final vote was 273-156, short of the two-thirds majority necessary.

We wanted to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your perseverance, tenacity, vigilance, and persistence in contacting your U.S. congressmen and congresswomen, and your senators through phone calls, emails, faxes, and personal visits to their district and Capital Hill offices. Without your support and direct action we simply would not have made the noise we did in Congress, gaining the attention of influential members that now understand our niche community-industry cannot absorb a massive tax increase and continue to exist.

This is only the first round in what will most likely be a continuing battle for the next several months. As SCHIP expansion and extension of the current program will be sought by congressional democrats. We have already begun communicating and working with congressional leaders and their states, taking the position that if a tax increase in cigars must exist, that a realistic, manageable increase must be a part of the overall proposal.

A special thank you goes out to the manufacturers within our industry for their efforts throughout the United States and Latin America in mobilizing support against this tax increase. Through their coordinated efforts between the Latin American governments, and their counterparts in the United States, they illustrated and successfully conveyed the ramifications of this tax increase on the Latin American citizens and artisans who rely on the handmade cigar industry for a viable, living income. Key legislators now understand it is more than just a pleasure for consumers, but a way of life for those artisans who produced handmade cigars. Because of the handmade cigar industry, many of these citizens would not have reasonable access to medical and dental care, education, and other social services provided by manufacturers based in these small countries.

Thank you again for your efforts and direct action, for if we are to succeed, we must all hang together, or we will hang separately.

Chris McCalla

Legislative Director

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I agree with both Tom and Marccote....This is not gone for good, there will be a revised version of this coming soon. However, if worded properly and with the proper revisions made, we may be able to compromise and share the tax with alcohol, firearms, fast food and womens shoes.

Broadway Joe

Formerly Havana Joe
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I agree with both Tom and Marccote....This is not gone for good, there will be a revised version of this coming soon. However, if worded properly and with the proper revisions made, we may be able to compromise and share the tax with alcohol, firearms, fast food and womens shoes.
I liked how you slipped the last two items in there :)

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
It's coming back after the presidential elections, you can bet on it. This just gives the Dems more fighting power that the republicans don't love the children.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I think this issue is far from over ...

I heard on the radio news tonight that the Dems were going to try and rewrite the bill somewhat and put it up for vote again next month.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
You can usually find that info on the Internet, but it sometimes takes some time to make it online.

Many times in the past, I have found it easier to call the local offices of my elected officials and ask the staff how they voted. They're always willing to offer up that sort of info (heck, I believe they're REQUIRED to do so).

marccote

Cigar Companero Editor
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2007/roll982.xml

Use this to our advantage, and I am not nauive, if you READ my post I am making a plea, this will be back and we need to be on top of it to support it in the way the REPUBLICANS first wrot ethe bill during Clinton's reign when the ones that did not liek the idea of it, they are using it for self gain now and to get it as close as they can to what Hillary agenda wants is government sponsored health care, talk about an economy disaster, imagine trying to take private business and make it governemnt controlled, they can't even handle running the mail, for those who have not heard the government has plans to privatize the USPS in the future, at least that is the rumor, so don't go buying them FOREVER stamps by the millions as they really will not be good FOREVER, but just as long as the USPS exisits, sorry back to the SCHIP, this was created by Republicans while a Democrat was president and it is truw we do need help for our underprivelged children, not up to $80,000 family of 4 incomes and 26 years of age, we have SSSI and other palsn that can help for thos eunable to provide income for theirselves and Medicare, we need to be part of the backbone of making sure the next bill is feasible, not penalize a commodity that holods together several countries and supplies them with income and a livelhood, but we need to find something that is taxable at a reasonable figure, I like the womens shoes but I woudl have to oppose a stiff tax on that as my wife has no problem paying any amount for any shoes and the more the better it seems, but purses and shoes are a good option, firearms and alcohol ae others, mind you i am not speaking fo a huge tax as they wanted to impose on cigars but a min tax across the board, if it was $.05 on every $10 of say milk, gas, tobacco, womens shoes, womens handbags (double on Coach, you will get more form our fmaily) firearms, watches, for example, you get my idea, I don't mind paying taxts I just want them to be fair, and we as opposition could benefit the cigar industyr by supporting a bill that would work without using cigar and tobacco alone to fund, and we want the right children to be covered, not up to 26 years of age single adults, and not up to the $80,000 income level for 4, soemthign that helps the median level that need the help,
where I am going is we need to creat a foundation to help support rather than oppose, I will be interviewing Rocky Patel soon and this is on my agenda to talk to him about, he are a better allie than a foe.:bangbang:

Sorry for the spellings,

marc cote
www.cigarcompanero.com
cigar@cigarcompanero.com

so where do we find a list of the vote, so we can take that into consideration come election time :)

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
You know guys, I'm not smoking as much pot these days, as the buzz from a good cigar is more than enough for me. However, If pot were legal, and tax by the government...The nation deffecit would be handled quickly. It is not addictive, nobody gets high and beats up thier kids. When you run out of pot, you don't feel the need to rob someone to get more. If we stopped spending money to fight the war on pot and used that money to set up Government run pot farms, we could employ the cultivators and tax the sh!t out of it. This would also help lower the prison populations as pot is a rediculous thing to have to do time for. I figured if we were adding things we could tax I would throw it out there.

earnold25

Eran
Rating - 100%
44   0   0
You know guys, I'm not smoking as much pot these days, as the buzz from a good cigar is more than enough for me. However, If pot were legal, and tax by the government...The nation deffecit would be handled quickly. It is not addictive, nobody gets high and beats up thier kids. When you run out of pot, you don't feel the need to rob someone to get more. If we stopped spending money to fight the war on pot and used that money to set up Government run pot farms, we could employ the cultivators and tax the sh!t out of it. This would also help lower the prison populations as pot is a rediculous thing to have to do time for. I figured if we were adding things we could tax I would throw it out there.
i vote for prostitution. clean up these dirty girls and start letting them pimp for uncle sam!