What's new

Scotch and cigars

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have been a long time bourbon drinker, but usually with diet coke. I was gifted some 21 year old scotch and it was good but a little strong for me. What do you guys recommend for scotch as a beginner and a cigar smoker who generally smokes a medium cigar? I don't want to break the bank. I am thinking of a more frequent drink vs once in a while since I smoke just about every night.

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
My first bottle of scotch was a Glenfiddich 12. I enjoyed it all the way down to the last drop. It wasn't too expensive and still a very good drink.

However, my favorite blended scotch is Johnnie Walker Black

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Would help to know what the 21 YO Scotch you were gifted was.

Assume it was an Islay....cause if a 21 year Speyside or Highland was too strong, Scotch may not be what you're looking for.

Macallan 12 was the one I found to enjoy the most (and happen to enjoy even still) when I first started drinking Scotch.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
98   0   0
My first scotch that I loved was Balvenie Double Wood. I then progressed into the world of Glenmorangie 10 year, then the Nectar D'or, then the Sonalta (maybe one of the best scotches ever!).

The Nectar D'or and Tatuaje Black Tubos are a wonderful pairing.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can't go wrong with Johnny Walker Black. It's a blended scotch. The single malts cost more. But Black is a great blend. I put two cubes in it because I like it cool, and the melted ice "opens" it up to kill the alcohol sting and bring out the flavor. You could also just put a little water instead.

As far as scotch being "too strong" majority are 80proof which is exactly what bourbon is(actually, a lot of bourbons are higher). Most whiskey is 80 proof.

Try not to mix the scotch with anything though. Defeats the purpose if you ask me. Would be the equivalent to smoking a cigar with a filter on it.

Enjoy!!

AlohaStyle

BoM Sept '12 & Aug '13
Rating - 100%
185   0   0
Glennfidich 12 or 15 is pretty smooth. My fav right now is the 15, but it costs a little more.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Would help to know what the 21 YO Scotch you didn't like was.

Assume it was an Islay....cause if a 21 year Speyside or Highland was too strong, Scotch may not be what you're looking for.

Macallan 12 was the one I found to enjoy the most (and happen to enjoy even still) when I first started drinking Scotch.
It was highland on the rocks. It mellowed as the ice melted obviously, but definitely wasnt as smooth as something like blantons as a bourbon.

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
It was highland on the rocks. It mellowed as the ice melted obviously, but definitely wasnt as smooth as something like blantons as a bourbon.
Go with a Speyside then....as I find Highlands (at least the ones I've tried) still have some of the peaty characteristics of the Islays...although not nearly as intense.

Glenlivet, or Macallan, or as others have mentioned the Balvenie or Glenfiddich.

Rating - 100%
98   0   0
I may be in the minority on this, but I do not like a peaty flavor in scotch. I like the sweet, more floral flavors such as the Nectar D'or (which is aged in a French Desert Wine cask).

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't want to feel like I just drank gasoline. I usually mix my cheaper bourbons or drink blantons straight up. Otherwise it's root beer :)

Walter

Scott
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
My personal recommendation for you would be Glenlivet 12 yr. It is not very expensive and has a nice flavor profile. The one thing that I would never do is pour scotch over ice as the cold mutes many of the flavors. If you need to, put a little splash of spring water in there to open it up some, and it will also help to cut the burn of the scotch.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Smokey:
Ardbeg
Talisker 10

Not smokey:
Glenlivet 12
Balvenie Doublewood 12
Macallan 12 (best 12-year Speyside if you have a little more cash)

A little smoke:
Glenfiddich 12
Chivas Regal 18 (blended, but very smooth)

Here's what' I'd recommend. Pour a dram of one of the above, mix with ice or some water if you wish. Once you're palate has opened up a bit, then try some of the good stuff neat.

Your first sip of almost any strong spirit will be a bit harsh (unless it's something really nice). So I like to open my palate up with something cheaper before I drink something good. Like if I'm going to brake out my Macallan 18, I'll have a dram of Macallan 12-year first.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Highland is from the northern part of Scotland, so you get a bit of the speyside character but with some smoke. Generally speaking, a speyside is going to be your best bet for an intro, maybe even a lowland although pairing them with cigars can be somewhat tricky.

As mentioned, I'd look at Balvenie, Glenfiddich (they are neighbors and owned by the same family), and Glenlivet. The good thing about Glenfiddich and Glenlivet is that you can usually get one of the mini-bottles from your local liquor store (and some grocery stores). So for a few bucks you can try it out first.

I've found that most people entering scotch have their best experience with Balvenie DoubleWood. I would definitely start there - HOWEVER - one of my favorite young scotches for pairing with cigars is the Balvenie Caribbean Cask.

ezrider

ezrider
Rating - 97.1%
43   1   0
Smokey:
Ardbeg
Talisker 10

Not smokey:
Glenlivet 12
Balvenie Doublewood 12
Macallan 12 (best 12-year Speyside if you have a little more cash)

A little smoke:
Glenfiddich 12
Chivas Regal 18 (blended, but very smooth)

Here's what' I'd recommend. Pour a dram of one of the above, mix with ice or some water if you wish. Once you're palate has opened up a bit, then try some of the good stuff neat.

Your first sip of almost any strong spirit will be a bit harsh (unless it's something really nice). So I like to open my palate up with something cheaper before I drink something good. Like if I'm going to brake out my Macallan 18, I'll have a dram of Macallan 12-year first.
This man nows his Scotch

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I was introduced to scotch with Glenlivet 12. Haven't really had any since then. But that did it for me, I want more!

Rating - 100%
62   0   1
Pretty much all good advice here I think. That being said, try one or two or three of these, and if they don't do it for you, scotch might not be your thing. Until I hit my 40's, scotch just didn't do much for me. Now my only problem is that I can't quite afford to drink the stuff I like the best very often. Mmmmmm......peat. Then again, some of my favorite cheeses smell like feet......