What's new

Scotch and cigars

scotchNstogie

Crossbones 2011
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
As you can tell scotch, as with cigars, is very individual. Scotch neat is certainly an acquired taste (I prefer mine with just a splash of water). I would start with a blend vice a single malt, it will be smoother and ease you in. Johnny walker is a good start (black or red, either are good).

From there I would then move into single malts, think about Glenmorangie, as someone else has said it is a bit more floral. In fact it has been cataloged as having 132 different flavors to it. Vanilla and honey to start.

There are also some various finishes that tend to mellow the harshness as well. Try Glenlivet French Oak finish, Bavlenie Doublewood, or a portwood finish (glenmorangie and balvenie both make one).

With all of them the distillers recommend a splash of water to open up the flavor (releasing the serpent as it is called), however, if you find it too strong, ice will shrink the flavor profile, and make it a bit easier to drink. As you mentioned, as the ice melts the water will have the effect of opening the scotch up a little.

Another good way to get into is to find places that have a good selection near you, that way you can sample some side by side to find what you do and don't like.

Hope that helps. If you would like more recommendations hit me up, as you might have noticed, I really enjoy scotch...

Rating - 100%
26   0   0
My first scotch that I loved was Balvenie Double Wood. I then progressed into the world of Glenmorangie 10 year, then the Nectar D'or, then the Sonalta (maybe one of the best scotches ever!).

The Nectar D'or and Tatuaje Black Tubos are a wonderful pairing.
I second the Balvenie Doublewood. It's a good match with a lot of cigars and its not too expensive. I've seen it at Trader Joe's in CA for ~$35 a bottle. I'd also consider maybe a Glenlivet 12y/o or any Glenmoranie IMO.

Regards,
Randy

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I then progressed into the world of Glenmorangie 10 year, then the Nectar D'or, then the Sonalta (maybe one of the best scotches ever!).

The Nectar D'or and Tatuaje Black Tubos are a wonderful pairing.
^^^this^^^ and Macallan Cask strength with Pellegrino

KPP

Rating - 100%
73   0   0
The Macallan Cask Strength, IME, is much better than the 12, and even better than some of the older bottlings. Definitely worth checking out.
The cask strength IMO is no where near a beginner Scotch. That stuff has some serious punch to it...

Itd be the equivalent of handing a new cigar smoker a LP Dirty Rat.

It took me quite a while to get through my bottle cuz it's definitely a sipper. Like cigars though, we'll all find different profiles we prefer.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
just started drinking scotch last month.

My favorites so far are dalwhinnie 15, macallan 12, glenlivet 18, balvenie double wood, highland park 18 (my number 1 so far), glenfiddish 15 and the dalmore 18.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Can't believe I forgot about Glenmorangie! That "Original" is my go-to cheaper Scotch these days, replacing Glenlivit 12.

Once you get into them, there are tons of fun Scotchs to try. I love the Glenmorangie "Expressions" (I think that's what it's called) i.e. "finished Scotch." The Lasanta is Sherry cask, the Quinta Ruben is Port cask, etc. All really yummy. I know there are some rum cask Scotches as well (Balvenie and Glenfiddich I think), but I haven't tried them yet, but I want to because I love rum.

For a favorites list, one is limited to what they've had enough of to judge, which is of course limited by budget and what you can find in your area. I was foolish enough to get into whiskey right before moving abroad, lol, but fortunately Japanese love their Scotch (it's just pricey).

My favorites right now are:
Macallan 18
Johnny Walker XR 21 Year (blended, but the smoothest whiskey I've ever had)
Glenmorangie Lasanta
Glenmorangie Nectar d' Or

For everyday consumption:
Macallan 12
Glenmorangie Original
Balvenie Doublewood
Talisker 10 (goes great with cigars!)

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
The cask strength IMO is no where near a beginner Scotch. That stuff has some serious punch to it...

Itd be the equivalent of handing a new cigar smoker a LP Dirty Rat.

It took me quite a while to get through my bottle cuz it's definitely a sipper. Like cigars though, we'll all find different profiles we prefer.

Pelligrino really tempers the harshness and bring out a lot of different flavors. It's the only scotch I'd even consider adding anything to it.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is a good thread, I am new to scotch also, had some Glenlivet 12 and could not take my nose out of the glass - it smelled so good.

Rating - 100%
19   0   0
Now this is a thread after my own heart. :starrylov

Scotch preferences (like cigars) varies greatly from person to person. I like Maduro's and rich Nicaraguan sticks so please keep that in mind. That said check out this flavor map a friend from the UK sent me a while back. It is not complete but may help.

https://www.lfw.co.uk/flavourmap/

Now as far as blends, the most versatile blend that pairs with cigars I have found is Dimple Pinch (think Johnny Walker Black with less bite and for the same price). Great everyday scotch for $30-40 a bottle

Single Malt favs (on low price side, less than $50) include

Oban 14 yr dead center of flavor map, nuff said (about $50)
Glenmorangie Lasanta (Sherry Cask) < pairs very well with many sticks I smoke
Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban (Port Cask) < if you like port with your smokes give it try

Regardless of price
Glen Livet 18 yr is a fav
Macallan 18 yr also a fav

I am not a fan of smokey flavor profiles as I find they can be difficult to pair with smokes.

Also try some single malt Irish Whiskey's. Both Michael Collins Single Malt and Knappogue Castle Single Malt are fantastic with a lot of sticks and can be found for under $40.

Hope this helps and have fun experimenting.

T

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I tried the Macallan 12 and 18 this weekend while at a herf, and definitely better tasting than the highland 21 imho. Thanks for the insight, now its time to buy some bottles :)