What's new

Scotch Reviews

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
So I am currently enrolled in a Web Design program online. The current class we have to create a website, I decided to go with a Scotch website that has reviews and information about regions etc. While this may or may not be something that continues after the class, I wanted to get some substansive information on the site and although I dont mind drinking a ton of different scotch to get this date I figured I would reach out to my fellow BOTL for some help.

So what am I looking for - Please post in this thread so it can serve 2 purposes one to share with everyone on this form and 2 I post on my site (giving you credit) for the review. For the review please include any details you want, the nose, color, finish, taste etc.. Please include a picture of the bottle if you dont have one I can prob dig one up. Also please included wether you think this is a good beginner scotch, everyday scotch etc..

To make this fun I will be putting up a 5er for the help. This will run for 3 weeks from today which will be June 20th at 12am EST finish. All reviews submitted by this date will be put in a hat and a random name will be picked out.

Only rule for the contest is the review must be substantial what I mean by this is dont just put "it was peaty and floral" put some thought into it.

I will also post in the contest thread to come look here and post.

Thanks in advance to all the help on this.

-Josh

Rating - 100%
74   0   0
Already got a couple questions on this so wanted to post in here for everyone to see.

Whiskey is fine also since Scotch is Whiskey.

Somone also asked about blended this is fine also.

The other question was regarding water/ice - I am not a pureist drink what you like how you like it is my theory so with that said put as much or as little ice/water as you want just specifiy in the review when you added if from the beggining or after you tasted it and how that changed the profile.

Thanks

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Balvenie 12 Signature Batch 002 Notes

The overview:
Nose: What a big nose! Probably one of the few times that phrase can be used as a compliment, but the aromas are strong, with very defined notes of honey, almond, citrus, and cream. There are small amounts of caramel and oak in the background, and overall it is not very “spirity”. The nose leaves quite an impression – notably it is exceedingly complex and is very well balanced.

Palate: The palate isn’t nearly as dominating as the nose. In fact, the change from the nose is pretty significant. The initial taste on the tongue is spice, and it is a bold, strong spice. That transitions somewhat quickly to oak, followed by sherry complete with its drying sensation. The citrus is still there in the background, along with the cream notes, but they are faint in comparison to the spice and sherry.

Finish: The finish takes off right from the palate, beginning with the remnants of spice. Then the sherry takes over, continuing the dryness that leaves the tongue tingly. The sensation isn’t really driven by the alcohol, though – the finish isn’t overly warm, which is to say the “burn” is less noticeable than what may be expected of a 12 year old whisky.

Splash of Water: Adding a little bit of water brings the spice out in the nose and more of the cream in the palate, which makes the transition from the nose to the palate significantly smoother.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Balvenie 17yo Madeira Cask notes:

Nose: Honey, apricot, and a madeira aroma

Palate: Honey and oak (a solid Balvenie start), coupled with dark wine flavors from the Madeira - specifically dark berries, such as cherry and raspberry, as well as apricot and peaches. Very fruity, but more of a dry sweetness - probably influenced by the oak.

Finish: Oak (again, true to Balvenie form) is the dominate finishing note. The wine lingers into the oak flavor.

I do really like this, but I think I like the Rum Cask more. Different types of sweetness between the two, and both are good. For the casual Balvenie fan, I think this deserves at least one bottle, with two bottles for the Rum Cask.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Signatory Vintage Mortlach
Distilled: 10/5/1991
Bottled: 25/9/2006
Matured in: Hogshead
Cask No: 4164
Bottle No: 91 of 366
ABV: 43%

very very mild. almost too drinkable. the alcohol burn is non-existent, and this is one of the few sherry malts where the sherry isn't overpowering. there is a light hint of peat, definitely some spice - maybe pepper, some bready fruity notes - like fruitcake, also seems to be a light hint of cane sugar. the finish highlights spicy and grassy notes. wow, a different take on speyside for me.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Mortlach 10 YR, SMWS 76.50, 59.8% ABV

initial aroma and taste of burnt wood, a sweet note of vanilla, strong spice - I added some water and the sweet aromas burst out - strong fruits, a decent amount of oak and some mild grassy notes

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
I have to find my notes... I should have pictures of most of these (except maybe the SMWS bottle as that was a sample from someone else)

Always looking for a good reason to bust out some scotch

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Karuizawa (need to find the cask #)

Nose: light smoke, citrus, reminiscent of an aged highland park, and oddly enough a strong aroma of melted marshmallow

Palate: has a dry, puckering sensation punctuated by light smoke and seaweed. The sweeter note of the marshmallow is replaced with a very subtle note of confectioner's sugar. The seaweed is complemented by brine, and everything finally gives way to a mild, salty oak.

Finish: the dry sensation continues, and is accompanied by salt and mild sea-soaked wood.

A very complex dram, with light oak influence considering the age. A fresh take on an island whisky, like an Bunnahabhain, mixed with an HP. The only downside I find is that the drying sensation requires a bit of water.

Adding a splash brings out a lot of grass, like a lowland, and floral notes similar to Lagavulin. The sugar becomes a bit more pronounced and the whisky seems to altogether change, with less salt emphasis.

Edit: Cash 7290 from 1972

Last edited:

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Balvenie 17yo Islay Cask

Hints of smoke, brine, and peat right off the bat - straight out of islay, but a complex islay like laphroaig 15. A very sweet undertone - naval oranges, mild chocolate, and a seemingly slight hint of sherry

Palate: the smoke, more prominent than the still-present peat, takes over the mouth. The sweetness still remains, and is focused into floral, honey, and vanilla notes, which is the only way anybody would believe it is a Balvenie.

Finish: smoke lingers for a while, and finally gives way to honey, which seems to just sit on the tongue until replaced.

Would like to give this a head to head with Laphroaig 15 - my last bottle has long been empty but this might rationalize (strikethrough) justify picking up a final, piece de resistance, bottle.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Glenfiddich 15: honey, orange, toffee, very smooth finish with mild oak. Seems older for how smooth it is

(just a quick note on that one...)

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Highland Park 13 (Signatory)

I would venture a guess that most people know the "box of chocolates" line from Forrest Gump. So it is with independent bottlings ("IB") - despite your familiarity with a particular distillery, you never know what you'll get when it comes to a bottle that exists thanks to an IB. This can bevery fun, especially as it pertains to single casks, but the risk is that you get a bottle that doesn't live up to the distillery's name.

In any event, it is always better to have a dram than not. On to the notes.

Nose: Sea-soaked oak is the first and strongest note that forms the introduction to this whisky, which is followed by dry grass. There is light smokiness, and also light floral notes of parsley and daisies. There is a sweet note of honey and sugar-syrup that, while mild, helps balance the smokey, sea-influenced nose. Overall, there is a fair bit going on in the nose, but it isn't a monster nose; its comprised of subtleties that take a bit of teasing out.

Palate: The sea salt and oak are the initial notes on the palatte, but they are overtaken a bit by a mild smoke, and then more strongly by the grassy and floral profile. The palatte also gives the sweeter notes an opportunity to shine, with the highlight being the sugar syrup that seems to morph into the contents of one of the bottles of coffee-flavoring; like a honey and caramel syrup.

Finish: The finish starts a bit early, continuing the salty oak that has been ever present. It is moderately warm, and just a tad drying. That drying sensation, along with a mild smoke note, sits on the tongue for a very extended period, before partially giving way to the grassier and more floral notes.

Splash of Water: N/A - while it can be beneficial, I often don't enjoy watering single malts that have a fair salt influence.

A couple of thoughts on this dram:

First, while there is a strong sea-salt influence, it is more on par with a sea-breeze in terms of strength, as opposed to the hull of a 15th century ship as is the case with some of the seemingly brine-based Islays.

Second, on a prior tasting of this I picked out a somewhat citrus note, like strong lemons with a hint of orange. I think this is more correctly identified in this set of notes, as a honey and caramel profile that has the bitterness you'd find in a lemon brought instead by the sea salt.

This dram lives up to the Highland Park name, so let's say I got a good piece of chocolate from the box. The sweetness really only had its place on the palate though, meaning you really have to be in a northern highland or almost semi-Islay mood when going for this dram.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Balvenie 12 DoubleWood

The Balvenie DoubleWood is often credited as being the malt that brought a person into whisky. The same can be said for other renown whiskies, like Highland Park 18 and Laphroaig 15.

One thing that the DW brings, though, is an incredible smoothness for a 12 year old single malt.

On to the notes:

Nose: Sherry, chocolate, and orange spring off the nose, bringing to mind the choclate-orange sticks found on grocery shelves around Christmastime. There are also notes of the traditional Balvenie honey, and a bit of caramel.

Palate: Smooth! So very smooth! I'm enjoying a UK release, so the ABV is only 40%, and at that strength ther is virtually no heat in this malt. The sherry is strong on the tongue, along with orange peel and vanilla. The caramel and vanilla are still present, but faint in comparison.

Finish: The sherry continues on the finish, with the lack of heat offset by just a touch of dryness. The finish lingers, with bits of oak vying for real estate against the sherry.

With Water: N/A - at 40% I didn't really bother, which isn't to say its not worth trying.

indyrob

BoM Feb '06 & Sept. '08
Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Mortlach 10 YR, SMWS 76.50, 59.8% ABV

initial aroma and taste of burnt wood, a sweet note of vanilla, strong spice - I added some water and the sweet aromas burst out - strong fruits, a decent amount of oak and some mild grassy notes
Love Mortlach. Totally under-rated and not nearly talked about enough. Haven't had the SMWS offering before but like Mortlach at cask strength. Weymms did a 16 y/o Mortlach at cs and it was good. I'll look for my notes.

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Balvenie 14 Carribbean Cask
Nose: Vanilla, Unripened orange, bit of black licorice
Palate: Caramel, vanilla, orange, spiced rum kicks in about halfway through the palate
Finish: Little bit of sherry, a little warm and a little drying, mild oak, rum continues through the finish, relatively long lasting

orangedog

Navin R Johnson
Rating - 100%
83   0   0
Lagavulin 16
Nose: tons of wood, floral notes like daisy, lavender, honeysuckle
Palate: oak, peat, floral notes, faint sweet note of caramel, bit of iodine and brine
Finish: long, warm, brine holds into the finish

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
Ardbeg 10:

--Paired with a Cromagnon Mandible

Color: Very light yellow and clear, looks like a Anejo Taquila, turns quite cloudy with just a little water added

Nose: Strong smokey/peaty aroma. Tiny bit of floral. It also smells sweet, with some fruit (citrus?). Water accentuates this fruity flavor quite a bit

Taste: Peaty, but with a nice sweetness as well (not Glenmo sweet, but still nice), a bit of the citrus-like fruit as well. Honestly, this stuff tastes a lot like it smells (not always the case), though I didn't get any floral notes. There are some other flavors going on that my palate just isn't experienced enough to pick out. It's not extremely complex, but there is a nice depth to it and the flavor is very rich.

Finish: Surpassingly sweet. The peaty smoke isn't as noticable on the finish, though in fairness I did pair this with a cigar! The finish is fairly mild in that my mouth doesn't feel all "Scotchy" afterwards, though again, I was smoking a cigar at the time.

Value: In terms of cost, I think this is one of the best Islays available that I have tried. Great intro to Islay malts for beginners.

Overall: This is a great dram. It's now surpassed the Talisker as my favorite single malt to pair with a strong cigar! Maybe too smokey for a beginner, unless they've got a cigar to go with it.

Score: 92

Last edited: