What's new

Scraps tobacco

Jan Bynens

Moscca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I use the leftovers of my filler tobacco to roll I have problems of making a evenly fulled bunch.
I was now thinking of buying a shredder to get a better fill.
Did somebody tried this already ?

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Rolling machines use flakes, rather than shreds. If you look at the YouTube video of FX Smith's Sons rolling machinery in action here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1Nh_bRHgFFIvaAHVrAxrrw
for example, you will see flakes in the hopper. There are none of the scriggly pigtails that get chopped off the ends of filler, no stems... just flakes from de-stemmed leaves. These flakes probably average two to three inches across.

Have you tried removing end bits then cutting your scraps into flakes?

The Cuban sandwich, as I understand it, spreads these scraps onto an intact half leaf before binding. Have you tried that?

My solution is simply to do everything possible to avoid making waste. That's harder to do with a parejo than it is with a perfecto. A perfecto fits the natural shape of a leaf. Have you tried making perfectos?

Jan Bynens

Moscca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks webmost !
Interesting video, they spread them out and always have the same amount dropped for each bunch.
My leftovers are more or less 2x2". I thought making them smaller and the filling half a pipe of a certain diameter to have every time an even fill.
The diameter of the pipe according the gauge of the cigar.

No, I only make parejos .

Jan Bynens

Moscca
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow ...That's realy great ! Here the tobacco is also cut in smaller pieces.
I think so you have more control for a consistently even filling.
I'm gone work on that idea !
Thanks Marc !!

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I started out smoking Factory Throwouts from JC Newman. Sun grown. Looked to be made about like that. Tasty. Gave 'em up when they started using oatmeal sized particles. I got tired of spittin bits. Wish I could get their wrapper tho.

Hopduro

PhDStogies
Rating - 100%
237   0   0
I don't smoke enough cigars to warrant making short filler smokes. Plus, filler is pretty damn cheap. I used to save scraps, but now I just chalk them up to the "cost of doing business".