What's new

Screens, Balls or Cones for M M Cobs

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Not sure how many of you smoke cobs but I find with M M just shoving the stem into the bowl a lot of tobacco isn't properly burned. The draw also clogs more often then with briars' typically side drilled draw holes.

I would think screen "balls" take up a lot of space in these small bowls so do you have a preference between flat and tapered screens? Do they improve the burn, or are they just annoying to use?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
Not sure how many of you smoke cobs but I find with M M just shoving the stem into the bowl a lot of tobacco isn't properly burned. The draw also clogs more often then with briars' typically side drilled draw holes.

I would think screen "balls" take up a lot of space in these small bowls so do you have a preference between flat and tapered screens? Do they improve the burn, or are they just annoying to use?
Myself I just use them as is. Eventually the stem burns away. Occasionally it needs to be poked but I don’t use any screens

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks, I didn't think much about the extra stem burning away eventually but it makes sense.

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I mixed up some pipe mud and filled the area around the sides to keep the tobacco getting stuck there, I’ve never use or seen the need for a screen. Cobs have a very open draw but I don’t notice any tobacco getting pulled through any more than any other pipe.