What's new

Seasoning question

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if anyone could help with a follow up question....

I just got another drawer. I have two drawers and four shelves. My plan is to remove two shelves and replace it with a drawer. As of now, the two drawers and shelves are seasoned. I'm curious what others think about seasoning this third drawer.

So far, I have put the drawer in a turkey bag (what you use to cook turkeys in...largest I could find). I left a sponge in there for a day. I then wiped the drawer and left it in the bag with a wet sponge. I'm curious if I could throw the drawer in with others and let it finish or if I should keep it in the bag longer. I can certainly do that, but I really could use the drawer. I'm wondering with it being partially (or mostly...I don't know) seasoned, will adding it to the rest of the seasoned wineador be ok or should I continue to wait.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
41   0   0
I doubt that putting an unseasoned drawer into your wino would have a detrimental effect on your cigars if they are at the proper humidity. Your humidity might drop a little (i put some empty boxes in my wino to take up space and my humidity dropped 5%) but I've been told that your cigars will lose a % point a week in a properly humidified environment (i.e. you buy from a store that keeps 72% and you put in your wino @ 65% it should theoretically take 7 weeks for the cigars to drop down to 65%). So if your humidity drops because of a new drawer, it probably won't drop far enough or stay low long enough for there to be anything to worry about. This is just a guess, though.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt that putting an unseasoned drawer into your wino would have a detrimental effect on your cigars if they are at the proper humidity. Your humidity might drop a little (i put some empty boxes in my wino to take up space and my humidity dropped 5%) but I've been told that your cigars will lose a % point a week in a properly humidified environment (i.e. you buy from a store that keeps 72% and you put in your wino @ 65% it should theoretically take 7 weeks for the cigars to drop down to 65%). So if your humidity drops because of a new drawer, it probably won't drop far enough or stay low long enough for there to be anything to worry about. This is just a guess, though.
That's interesting. I've not heard this before. I appreciate the advice.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
OP, In my novice experience, the RH issue always blows people's mind and is the source of much debate that is steeped in science and time tested processes. It's like asking, "where to get the best Cheesesteak in Philly?" All the advice in this thread (and the other one) is solid. You sound like you're on the right track. As long as you're not storing your cigars on your back porch in a shoebox with a dish sponge full of tap water I think you'll survive. My main point was you don't have to call Bill Nye the Science Guy to come out and adjust the Flux Capcitor on the storage unit. IMHO, YMMV, etc.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP, In my novice experience, the RH issue always blows people's mind and is the source of much debate that is steeped in science and time tested processes. It's like asking, "where to get the best Cheesesteak in Philly?" All the advice in this thread (and the other one) is solid. You sound like you're on the right track. As long as you're not storing your cigars on your back porch in a shoebox with a dish sponge full of tap water I think you'll survive. My main point was you don't have to call Bill Nye the Science Guy to come out and adjust the Flux Capcitor on the storage unit. IMHO, YMMV, etc.
Thank you. I really do appreciate yours (as well as others' advice). I actually have some decent sticks and would hate to ruin them because of something sinple I did.

I'm probably just over paranoid but have always felt it's always better to be safe than sorry.

Again, thank you for the advice.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
This is what works for me but "I have no idea what I'm doing." I trust my Boveda/Heartfelt more than my hygrometers. I have pretty good ones too. After a while they stabilize and if they display something crazy I investigate. I let newly purchased cigars hang out for a month or so before I smoke them. I judge my storage conditions by how my cigars are smoking. Be mindful of your cigars and you'll learn along the way and a year or two from now you'll be replying to some other guys thread who has the same questions as you. We were all new to this once and all had the same questions and concerns. Our cigars are tougher than we give them credit for. But what do I know, I'm just a guy who smokes cigars.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is what works for me but "I have no idea what I'm doing." I trust my Boveda/Heartfelt more than my hygrometers. I have pretty good ones too. After a while they stabilize and if they display something crazy I investigate. I let newly purchased cigars hang out for a month or so before I smoke them. I judge my storage conditions by how my cigars are smoking. Be mindful of your cigars and you'll learn along the way and a year or two from now you'll be replying to some other guys thread who has the same questions as you. We were all new to this once and all had the same questions and concerns. Our cigars are tougher than we give them credit for. But what do I know, I'm just a guy who smokes cigars.
Thanks. This is absolutely the part I'm still learning....what conditions provide a good smoke and what doesn't.

As for the learning part, this has been a fun journey. I've already learned so much...especially from fellow enthusiasts.

THEMISCHMAN

SGT Hulka
Rating - 100%
146   0   0
Different strokes for different folks. I like the way my cigars are with 65% Boveda. Hygrometer registers between 63-64. Some people like more some like less. Just remember what I said about shoeboxes and sponges. Don't over think it and you'll be fine. Just remember if you ask four people you'll get four different answers.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Different strokes for different folks. I like the way my cigars are with 65% Boveda. Hygrometer registers between 63-64. Some people like more some like less. Just remember what I said about shoeboxes and sponges. Don't over think it and you'll be fine. Just remember if you ask four people you'll get four different answers.
Thanks! I really do appreciate the advice. I'll absolutely remember the shoebox/sponge piece.

Rating - 100%
67   0   0
I just got a new Wineador in yesterday and quickly unpacked it before I had to leave for the day to work. I stuck a calibrated hygro and left that for the day. The RH was 60% after being in there for over 12 hours. In the evening, I stuck a few bowls and sponges in there to begin seasoning. It quickly shot up to nearly 80%. My question is, with the RH being so close to my ideal level before even beginning, how long should I leave the sponges in? I only needed another 5%.

Could I remove the sponges after a day, then stick my heartfelt beads in and allow them to suck up any extra. Maybe leave those in for a day like that and then start filling?

Does the above make sense to do, or should I leave the sponges in for a few more days before adding my cigars? Normally with a humidor I would need to leave these in for a while. I'm curious if it's needed in the wineador because there really isn't much wood (two drawers and 4 shelfs...the standard newair cc-300 setup).

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Has anyone summoned @sofc yet?