What's new

Secret blend?

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Got myself my very first pipe yesterday... its cheap and Chinese and seems to be smoking pretty well thus far. Since I got the pipe I've been wondering if any one here has a secret tobacco blend? mix together a few different tobaccos to create a flavour that is unique to you. I mixed together some Dunhill Early Morning Tobacco and Captain Black Light which seemed to be a much more aromatic and pleasing smoke than the bowl of Dunhill I had yesterday.

Any one else into creating their own blend?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I keep thinking I need to give this part of the hobby a try. Just never seem to get around to it. I think I'd have to get me one of them Gandolf looking pipes though, lol. I'd be surprised if some around here hadn't done some 'sperimenting with mixing tobaccos.

dpricenator

BoM March 08
Rating - 100%
175   0   3
I just started smoking a pipe, and have only smoked maybe 10 bowls total. I used to roll a cherry vanilla blend in cigaretts when i was a kid so that was the first thing i bought. The pipe was gifted with some danish delight from Anngry Bill. I have found a mix of that is very pleasing, but i have very limited experience otherwise.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I know there are lots of guys who mix stuff. I smoke my pipe so infrequently that I stick to the blends I have. My palette isn't pipe-friendly enough yet to start playing chef.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't ever tried making my own blends. I've found two or three favorites at my B&M that don't leave me wishing for more. Though, I bet that making a blend would be very rewarding.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried it a few times and have not been too successful. I am just going to leave it up to the professionals.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I keep thinking I need to give this part of the hobby a try. Just never seem to get around to it. I think I'd have to get me one of them Gandolf looking pipes though, lol. I'd be surprised if some around here hadn't done some 'sperimenting with mixing tobaccos.
A bunch of these came into the shop and I just had to buy one. I have seven pipes but have not found a blend that des it for me.

Angry Bill

2x BoM, BoY '08
Staff member
Rating - 100%
201   0   0
I just started smoking a pipe, and have only smoked maybe 10 bowls total. I used to roll a cherry vanilla blend in cigaretts when i was a kid so that was the first thing i bought. The pipe was gifted with some danish delight from Anngry Bill. I have found a mix of that is very pleasing, but i have very limited experience otherwise.

Ah wacky tobacky doesnt count in the blend.. hehe.. Just kidding...

In all seriousness, finding a blend that is within your taste is the most fun part of the pipe smoking journey. Once you find it. Buy it, keep it and never forget it. hehe. My favorite blend is no more, since the shop closed down 10 years ago due to a divorce. I still have about 6 ozs, which I have been minding... hehe.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
A bunch of these came into the shop and I just had to buy one. I have seven pipes but have not found a blend that des it for me.
I've never been into pipes, but something about those just "does it" for me. Then again, the prices I've seen are enough to deter me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I confess that I have never seen a Chinese-made pipe. I wonder if they are imported into the US. The only Asian-made pipes I have seen here are very expensive Japanese ones. Inexpensive "basket" pipes on sale in New York all seem to be made in Italy.

I am surprised pipes aren't made in Pakistan itself. I've seen good furniture made in Pakistan on sale here.

Rating - 100%
21   0   0
I confess that I have never seen a Chinese-made pipe. I wonder if they are imported into the US. The only Asian-made pipes I have seen here are very expensive Japanese ones. Inexpensive "basket" pipes on sale in New York all seem to be made in Italy.

I am surprised pipes aren't made in Pakistan itself. I've seen good furniture made in Pakistan on sale here.
That is interesting... I think I've seen a few made from marble here but don't recall ever seeing any made from wood. I guess I can look for them the next time I'm in the markets or may be call over the carpenter and have him make me one.. perhaps teak would make a good pipe.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Those "Gandolf looking pipes" are called Churchwardens. They tend to be pricey because of the long stem and are somewhat fragile for the same reason. For a first pipe I'd suggest a straight pipe like a billard or apple if you want a bent pipe go for something with a small bend like a prince or bent apple. Once you get the hang of packing, smoking and cleaning then you can dive in with something more exotic.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
....I've seen a few made from marble here but don't recall ever seeing any made from wood.....may be call over the carpenter and have him make me one; perhaps teak would make a good pipe.......
I have never seen a pipe made out of marble and can't even imagine what they could look like! Decorative pipes made out of rosewood or elderwood are traditional in Germany and Switzerland, but, in general, regular tree-wood burns out when used for a pipe. Only porous briar root has been found to develop the carbon coat inside the bowl that protects it from burning out.

I wonder if briar grows in Pakistan. It usually likes dry, warm scrubland.

Of course, a regular-wood pipe could be lined in meerschaum. I wonder if that would work.