What's new

Seperate storage of 'unmentionables'

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Does anyone have any comments about storing CC's seperate from NC's, not that it's a main concern yet, but i hope to increase my CC stach in the near future, and i was just wondering if they are generally stored seperately from domestics. ANy comments or suggestions would be awesome!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I do not use separate storage containers, but I do segregate the NCs within the cabinet.

The only valid reason I can think of as to why you would want to use two separate storage units is if you end up not liking how your NCs smoke at ~65% RH...which, most would agree should be your target RH for your Cubans.

Rating - 100%
234   0   0
I would not put CC NEAR NC. They do not get along very well and fights inevitably break out when you least expect it. Ofter causing wrappers to be torn off and end caps to be unraveled. Not to mention many a foot being broken.

From what I know, CC store and smoke better at lower RH levels than NC. Other than that, I think there is no storage issues especially if you plan on smoking them with a few years. Long term storage such as 5+ years I would consider not putting them together.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
I think Todd really hit the nail on the head. Your CC will not like the higher humidity of your NC's. They will close up tighter than a dowell. A simple tupperdore can handle the problem. I will send you a small cedar box with our trade.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
From my understanding, it's not only a humidity issue but a taste issue. Cigars that are stored together tend to develop each other's characteristics over time. It's sort of like storing flavored cigars with non flavored...bad idea. I have always kept them seperate so I do not know this for sure from first hand experience. I can only relay the information I have read on the subject.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
From my understanding, it's not only a humidity issue but a taste issue. Cigars that are stored together tend to develop each other's characteristics over time. It's sort of like storing flavored cigars with non flavored...bad idea. I have always kept them seperate so I do not know this for sure from first hand experience. I can only relay the information I have read on the subject.
This is BS as far as I know/have read...except the whole flavored and non-flavored part.

I do not think, nor do I try to prevent, NCs being next to or in the area of Cubans will affect the flavor of either.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
This is BS as far as I know/have read...except the whole flavored and non-flavored part.

I do not think, nor do I try to prevent, NCs being next to or in the area of Cubans will affect the flavor of either.
If you leave them togather for ten years, and they are snugged right up against each other, maybe. Otherwise hype.

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
I agree with Todd on this one, I think that's a lot of hooey. However, it's not a problem I have to deal with, so it's a moot point for me. I would suggest that if you do keep them together, keep the rh around 62-65%. Better for the CC's. I don't know what your storage situation is, but sometimes humidors have those dividers, so maybe you can segregate them in that way if it's a concern for you.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
it shouldn't be a big deal, especially if all someone has is a desktop. maybe over years and years, but not in the near term.

nc = unmentionalbles? nc's aren't that bad are they?

i would keep them separate just because i'm weird with organizing my sticks and not because of flavor contamination.

speaking of contamination does anyone know if nc's or cc's have more problems with beetles?

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
99.9% of my NCs (I have one or two sitting in the singles drawer for whatever reason) are stored in some old NC cigar boxes within my Wine cooler. I tend to keep them towards the bottom of the cooler as it is more humid towards the bottom and I think they smoke a tad better that way. Other than that, what others have echoed. NO problems keeping them together, and I don't buy into the flavor issue either. Now if you stored one very strong maduro NC with a very light CC in a cab and stuck the cab in a ziploc and then buried it for 20 years? There might be an effect. Other than that, I don't worry about it.

Oh, and Todd, who are you kidding? WHAT NCs?!?! :rofl:

avid toker

Regulator
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Short term storage of CC's with NC's will not "marry" flavors. If anything, the NC's might end up smelling better :tonguerol
As far as long term storage, can't say that I've experienced any detriment storing them together.

This brings me to my next point that I was discussing with Erich over a cigar yesterday.......I don't think storing CC's at 70% RH is such a bad thing. I use to store my CC's when I was younger (pre-BB days) at 70%RH. I was told more oils are intact that way. I bought into the whole 65% idea once I read the boards. The only thing I ever noticed was the cigar would extinguish itself quicker than those stored at 65% or less. I noticed no dramatic difference in taste nor did I notice any detriment to construction or smokeability.

In the end, I prefer to keep my cigars at a drier RH so as to space out my draws over a longer period of time. There is no hard scientific fact that anyone method or RH is better than the other. Keep your cigars sotred together should you wish and anywhere between 65%-70% and you'll be just fine.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
I agree with you Shane. In fact, there has been a slight resurgence in the old 70% standard from what I've seen here and there. Honestly, I think you are better off closer to 70% for long term storage. 65% smokes better to me, but I would bet that 70% ages better.

Moglman

Mountain Hound
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
Mine are separated for reasons already mentioned here. Primarily, because I don't want the NCs in the way as I'm in the coolers looking for a Cuban cigar. They are also stored with 70% beads, while the CCs all have 65% beads. After a reorg of the coolers, the CCs are also separated by brand.