What's new

Serious question to ask

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
its regarding customer service. I have been in retail my whole life, so I know that the customer is always right. But every once in a while, somebody just rubs you the wrong way.
I recently had a customer buy 1 crystal clear Herf Tube, plus 10 of the disposable Cigarix stands.

The description on the tube says it holds a 52 ring gauge cigar. I have put 52 ring gauge cigars in tube. I have also measured the opening, and have the manufacturers specs, and it will hold a 52.

The Cigarix are advertised as a disposable cigar stands, made of cardboard, and for 1 time use. I have sold/given about 15,00o in the last couple of years. It is what it is, a cheap cigar toy that works.

Anyway, the customer calls me up, and he is unhappy. I mean, he sounds miserable. He tells me that his robusto wont fit in the tube. I tell him that the tube will hold a 52, but that does not mean a robusto. He gets all pissy sounding that the cigar is classified as a 52, and it wont fit. He just does not want to hear it.

Now we move on to the stands. They are too flimsy to hold a cigar, and they will light on fire. Same deal, I try to explain that the cardboard wont catch on fire from the cigar. The manufacturer says the flashpoint is higher than a lit cigar. I have never had one light on fire, and never heard of it happening. As far as it being flimsy, I have seen these holding churchill cigars. They are not sturdy like a metal stand, but they do the job as advertised. Same deal, he is unhappy.

So, I just tell him its no big deal, and will refund his $. All this unhappiness is over about $9.50 plus a few bucks shipping. I tell him to keep the items because its really not worth the bother of back and forth shipping.

Now he wants a metal stand. He wants a partial refund, and wants me to ship out as metal stand. I figure I struck out on 2 products, and I am really not in the mood to send him a metal stand, and wait for the unhappy call again. NO mention is his email about sending me back the other items, or thanking me for taking care of him and letting him keep the other items. just a miserable person.

So, I am just ready to issue him his refund, and tell him to buy the stands from somebody else.

Am I being an asshole? I am used to dealing with people, and have never treated a retailer like this. What do you think?

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Ron,

If I knew who invented/coined the phrase "The customer's alway right" I would gladly go to jail for shooting him!

I worked for ten years in retail, working at or managing a cigar store and I feel for you my brother!

"Am I being an asshole?" - NO

"I am used to dealing with people, and have never treated a retailer like this. What do you think?" - Stand your ground, refund him and let him get what he wants (for now!) from someone else, you don't need the headache my friend!

Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I agree with the above post. Refund his money, say you are sorry your products didn't meet his expectations, and wish him luck at any of the other retailers. Sometimes you do have to cut and run, just do it the right way.

jmatkins

BoM January 08
Rating - 99%
159   1   0
Yea Ron it does suck sometimes. I sold shoes and men's cloths for 4 years and some things folks would try to return was absurd. But as soon as the said can I speak to your manager it was all over, cause management would always side with the customer. All of the sales guys would get so pissed when it happen. Hang in there.

RonC

www.igloodor.com
Rating - 100%
106   0   0
Yea Ron it does suck sometimes. I sold shoes and men's cloths for 4 years and some things folks would try to return was absurd. But as soon as the said can I speak to your manager it was all over, cause management would always side with the customer. All of the sales guys would get so pissed when it happen. Hang in there.
i am the manager..LOL

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
And sometimes if they bitch enough they think theyll get the new item for FREEEEEEEEEEEE!. Tell him politely to pack it!

sportsmedjosh

CRA Member: 211528
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Ron some POS software will allow you to block sales from a single IP, Credit Card, shipping address, billing address and person. Look into that, it might be best to block him from future purchases.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
hey I know how you feel man. I have worked in retail alot and some people you can just not please... i think we all know that from life experience in general. As a manufacturer of cigars, i have not run into this yet but im sure I will one day I will. If i were in your shoes... I would probably refund his money with no discount on the metal stand. If he CHOOSES to buy the metal stand after that point I would send it to him as if it were any other order. But the customer only deserves so much. If you made good with that much you have done your duty. I personally know those stand work very well. the metal ones are awesome, never seen the cardboard ones in person. But, back to the customer... If he had a problem with the metal stand I would not go any further to accommodate him... unless he was going to pay the shipping and handling to return it, and pay for the shipping cost of a replacement... You could probably send back the exact same one and he wouldnt notice. In his head, even if the product is no good every time... why does he keep returning for more. At that point its buyer beware. As much as we have to take care of a customer it is our duty to take care of our business/employees/OTHER customers as well. If you are spending alot of time with this single customer you can end up neglecting others.

Andy
Guillen Cigars - Owner

openendstraight

Grand Corona
Rating - 100%
118   0   0
not only would I not sell him a metal stand, but I would not give him a refund. I have looked at your web site many times, and your products are described very well. He might expected more, but the product descriptions are right on.

Did you ask him the brand of robusto he was trying to put in the tube? Besides who the hell buys just one tube?

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Most of us have experience with Ron's customer service, and I haven't heard anyone suggest it is anything other than absolute top notch. This guy is one of those folks who are never satisfied. Send him his cash if you wish, but there is certainly no need to go further. If you are worried he may poison other customers, ask yourself this: how can he spin this story in a way that makes you look bad? He ordered products that he was not satisfied with; he got his money back, and got to keep the products. He can't do any better than that.

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
Ron you may take my advice with a grain of salt as I've only worked retail for about three months. I work in a cigar shop and the customers are rarely right if ever in the store. Sometimes we cater to them but also we have banned customers from buying things like lighters. The guy would buy lighters and return them in 3 days to two months. We suspect he may have been laundering money or he was just a goddamn idiot. Either way he's no longer allowed to buy lighters from us.

I'd do what was already mentioned. Refund and send elsewhere let him be someone else's problem.

smokemifugotem

BoM July '10
Rating - 100%
190   0   1
Ron I have been in retail for 11 years and my current position is pretty much soley based on customer service and I would have to say that you already went above and beyond...just refund his money and end it. If they were in my store I would just tell them have a nice day...and be on my way...but that is just my .02! Nick

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
You responded to his claims in good faith. He got a free tube and holders. Now he wants something else. We have a phrase, We have fired that customer. Sorry. Go buy from someone else.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did 26 years in retail and service industries and I say let him go. There is no way you are going to satisfy him and he isn't a good customer. Worse case he tells some people he didn't like your service. Most likely he has little credibility with anybody. His friends probably know how he is, if he has any.

Rating - 98%
61   1   1
Over a decade in call centers for service and support here Ron, if I were you I'd handle thngs just as you state you plan to. (we couldn't train a rep to be more sincere and helpful if we tried!)

They say each customer with a bad experience tells ten friends... but the flipside is we also tell lots more when we have a good experience. Especially in the land of Internet commerce, great service can be hard to find.

Keep up the great work. Your reputation will sell more than this guy's word could ever take away.