What's new

Serious question

Rating - 100%
103   0   0
I had a friend of mine come over the other day, and while looking over my coolidors, asked the same thing. I was way too scared to ask that on here, but now I think I have to try that on a few with some bovedas and left over Tats from a birthday party.

Any wager how long they should take to "infuse"? I'll seal some up tomorrow.

Cheers.

Spenny

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I saw something online about this the other day - they recommended infusing cigars with wine, method was the same as what I use to recharge Bovedas with distilled water. Place a shot glass of wine, and cigars, in an airtight container for a couple weeks. Voila, it's that simple they say. 2 things of note - lighter cigars take flavors more readily, and more time in the tupperware wine (tupperwine?) environment equals more infused flavor.

*Note also that with this method, there's no question about what it's doing to your Bovedas because you bypass them altogether. And if you use more than just one shot glass (or a larger container than a shot glass,) you should be able to speed up the process.

sean

BoM June 13
Rating - 100%
158   0   0
A group of my friends got together and did it with various dessert liquors: cognac, amaretto, gran marinier, etc... wouldn't do it again.

Every cigar was wrecked because they all got too wet, and just tasted like burn liquor.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
48   0   0
It would be a slow process, and I don't think you'd really make it work.

To get the rehydrated Boveda to work, you need to start with a dryed out one of your preferred RH and seal it, and a shot glass of your chosen liquor in a quart wide mouth mason jar.

Much like this one that is currently sitting on my back deck except with your chosen liquor instead of distilled water.

It takes a while. A long while. 3 weeks or so for them to come back. Keeping the jar in the sun helps speed the process.

Then place newly rehydrated Boveda in a jar or Tupperware or some other airtight container with cigars. Wait. Wait. Wait.

That's the only way I really see this working without making your cigars spongy and wet. I still don't know that it would work.

*im not a cigar or Boveda expert. Merely offering my opinion.

Rating - 100%
24   0   0
It would be a slow process, and I don't think you'd really make it work.

To get the rehydrated Boveda to work, you need to start with a dryed out one of your preferred RH and seal it, and a shot glass of your chosen liquor in a quart wide mouth mason jar.

Much like this one that is currently sitting on my back deck except with your chosen liquor instead of distilled water.

It takes a while. A long while. 3 weeks or so for them to come back. Keeping the jar in the sun helps speed the process.

Then place newly rehydrated Boveda in a jar or Tupperware or some other airtight container with cigars. Wait. Wait. Wait.

That's the only way I really see this working without making your cigars spongy and wet. I still don't know that it would work.

*im not a cigar or Boveda expert. Merely offering my opinion.
If you put your bovedas in a zip lock bag and dump some distilled water in, they refill in about 3-4 days. This only works with the brown boveda, not the white. Just a tip!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I'm thinking that infusion should be done at teh fermenting stage when the stix are still wet. But try it anyway. Could be fun. Throw some coffee beans in there too while yr at it.

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
If you put your bovedas in a zip lock bag and dump some distilled water in, they refill in about 3-4 days. This only works with the brown boveda, not the white. Just a tip!
I tried that once and it made the paper wrapper of the Boveda feel really soft. Never did leak and I think that one is still in the cooler, but I just didn't like the water touching them. To each his own though. If that works for you do it!

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I've researched this idea of infusing cigar with various types of flavors...from coffee to bourbon etc. Makers Mark is one of those libations that have cigars with the dripping wax on the tubes that talk about them being infused but there is little to no information as to how they do it. Obviously it is a guarded secret and for those who have smoked them they really are a pretty good cigar but not worth the price tag. I have used tupperware, sealed jars and such to try and infuse the scent into the cigar and rarely get past the actual flavor even with as much as 6 months time. My guess...and it's only trying to use that part of my brain that thinks outside the box...is to dedicate flat portions of tobacco where the item you want infused into the tobacco is in a large compartment totally dedicated to this process. You can't take a rolled cigar and expect the infusion process to take place when it's that dense..it will hardly get past the wrapper. The tobacco should rest in a place where the 70/70 rule is part of the process.....have enough of the product ....example coffee beans which is in dry form to penetrate over time into the leaf. Something like a libation would be a bit different because it's liquid and I'd start with a very small amount...a shot glass half full with at least enough tobacco to make half dozen cigars but here's the tricky part...rolling them afterwards to ensure you get a product that is rolled correctly. I'd test a leaf every two weeks and burn a half one with a soft flame to smell the aroma....this becomes your standard plus you'll have to choose a leaf that you are acquainted with to know it's properties and profile. The experiment would be fun but I don't know anything about how to roll tobacco into a cigar so it would be like trying to smoke something looking like a rolled up pancake.

Here is a guy who did his experiment with infusing cigars that tries to do it with rolled cigars..interesting approach but not sure if it was truly a win. This would be an experiment that would take time...lots of it but if you hit on a combination of everything going right...imagine the results? I kind of think that most manufacturers wouldn't do this for obvious reasons...time and cost and a limited market appeal as most of us just like our cigars w/o having them being subjected to different tastes like what is already out there..pineapple, vanilla, etc.