What's new

Shave Soap

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
So, i'm almost out of my current soap and would love to try something different. what are your favorites and where do you buy them? And GO!!!!!!!!

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
mitchell's wool fat is superlative, and tabak is really nice (kinda had to try it, right?). geo.f.trumpter and trufitt and hill are both classics. those four are all i have yet tried, and i'm not really entirely through any of them, honestly.

you want something fun, try arko. stupid cheap (like 2 bucks a bar), smells like old ivory soap, works solidly, and looks like it crawled out of a fallout game, all retro-50's chic. you will be surprised.

all of these guys are available through amazon easily.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
I just switched over to Catie's Bubbles and can't be happier. I have their le Piment de la Vie which, according to their website, they are currently out of stock on. But I've heard rave reviews on their La Terre Verte. It's a small company (with whom I have no relationship other than being a satisfied client) and are very active on the "Wet Shaver Review" page on Facebook.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to go all thread necromancer but I wish I had seen this when you originally posted. I've been wet shaving for almost a decade and have been using soaps nearly exclusively in the past 3 years. I started with creams (proraso and musgo real) until I learned to build a proper lather, then switched to soap. Trumper's coconut is the only cream I keep on hand. It's luxurious.

As for soaps...The easiest soap to load and lather that I've experienced is Tabac. The smell is a bit of a barrier...a bit powdery and slightly floral. It's a great soap otherwise. My other go-to is Mike's Natural Soaps. Go to Badger and Blade and you'll see a ton of posts. The guy can't keep his product in stock because he's so popular. I like the lemongrass eucalyptus and orange pepper. The vetiver is good but I wouldn't recommend it for every day. Samples are available.

DR Harris has some incredible scents. I like Windsor but Arlington and Marlborough get a lot of love. DR Harris is more perfume based soaps as opposed to Mike's which is more of an essential oil approach if that makes sense.

Mitchell's Wool Fat is finicky but could be the best soap out there. Mantic has a great video that shows some tricks for lathering it. I don't keep MWF because it's mercurial. Same goes for Mystic Waters. Wish I had better success with both. You may have a better experience but I'd just recommend a more reliable daily soap and have MWF for more adventurous days.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I just switched from soap to cream. C.O. Bigelow is what I went with. It's Proraso but packaged for Bath and Body Works. Tell you what, my face felt great after using this, splashing on some Clubman, followed by Nivea Post Shave Balm.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a fan of Acca Kappa 1869. A huge fan really. The crop (hard shaving cream) is awesome, and the aftershave is just as good if not better. Smells divine - and the best part is, the wife loves it too. Better still is you can layer this stuff like no tomorrow, what with them selling 1869 soaps, colognes etc.
http://www.shopaccakappa.com/StoreBox/1869_shaving.htm

Straight Razor Designs doesn't sell it - but I buy everything else from them. Great store, awesome customer service!
http://www.straightrazordesigns.com/

jasonsbeer

Never Settle
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I use cream...Taylor of Old Bond Street. It's what I started with when I walked away from the octo-blade crap. It's a great price point and it I've been very happy with it, so no need to try the more expensive stuff. The sandalwood is my favorite and I'm also keen on the almond scent. I keep both on hand always and occasionally throw another in just to try. I have tried the St. James and lavender, but don't guess I would order either again. Last time I ordered from West Coast Shave. I bought about two years worth of supplies that are still going strong.

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Allright, update on shave soap from me.
The C.O. Bigelow cream was just ok, so I swithed it up.
Now I'm using Mama Bears shave soaps. All natural, great lather and ensuing shave, and nice scent.
She has a lot of different scents, provides great customer service, and I can honestly say that I've had the best results to date using this soap!
Here's a link:
http://mamabearssoaps.com/

redneck_toy

Fuente Fanboy
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I just switched from soap to cream. C.O. Bigelow is what I went with. It's Proraso but packaged for Bath and Body Works. Tell you what, my face felt great after using this, splashing on some Clubman, followed by Nivea Post Shave Balm.
I use Proraso, and absolutely love the clubman scent. Reminds me of sitting in the barbers chair as a tyke on the padded 2x12 getting a haircut as a kid. I use the clubman shampoo, and hair tonic as well.
My daughter tells me it makes me smell like an old man though. Lol

Mr.Draned

The Grey Rooster
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I use Proraso, and absolutely love the clubman scent. Reminds me of sitting in the barbers chair as a tyke on the padded 2x12 getting a haircut as a kid. I use the clubman shampoo, and hair tonic as well.
My daughter tells me it makes me smell like an old man though. Lol
Hahaha, I asked my wife if Clubman makes me smell like an old man and she said no! Either she loves me and is just being nice, or she really doesn't think it makes me smell old. Regardless, I share the same love for Clubman as you.
I agree about the memory of the barber chair, it does the same thing for me every time.