Votes: 17 15.2%
  • I use other

Votes: 19 17.0%

• Total voters

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
At the moment I have Hearfelt Beads in all my humi's.
I't seams that I have to add distilled water to them atleast every two weeks.
I've read the website on the Shilala Beads but don't understand a few things.
I'm hopeing some of you can answer these questions for me.

1. It says that Shilala Beads stay at 65% constant in a sealed humi. (Airtight). Well all wood humi's breath a little so do you have to add water to your beads as well.

2. If you use Shilala Beads it also says you can adjust the Humidification level you your likeness, which I assume means adding water to them for a higher Level.

3. With Shilala Beads it seems you have to have a accurate Hygrometer to insure proper Humidy level which means a balancing act to me.

With my 65% Heartfelt Beads, even though adding water every so often, It seems like I don't have to worry about any fluctuation regardless of a wooden Humi's ability of airtightness and I know no matter what I do it will always maintain 65%.
I don't even use a hygrometer anymore. I just keep an eye on the beads and add water when needed.
Seems simpler than using the Shilala Beads to me.
So am I not understanding how these beads work? Please break it down for me if possible.
Thanks!

Thecatch83

I smoke Opus like candy!
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have HF 65% in my desktop and coolidor, both calibrated digital hygrometers read exactly 65% and I haven't had to add distilled water to the beads in over four months! Are they better than Shilala? Not sure, but they work as advertised and any other form of humidification besides beads is simply inferior IMO.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
Tom, from what I recall there is a thread(or two) with all the questions answered. I personally use HF as I don't think the Shilala were out at the time i bought the HF. I think I would prefer the Shilala if I had to do it over again mostly because of the higher water retention. So I won't vote on the poll, because I have one but think I would prefer the other. I think you'll find most "have" HF mostly because they have been around a lot longer(it seems).

edit: http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=45035

Rating - 100%
160   0   0
I think this is a case of "taste great" - "less filling" type of debate. I use HF beads and love em casue they work for me. Sounds like shilia beads do a great job as well. For me I like that the HF come loose gives me Versatility in how i store the beads cause i tend to change my storage up now and then.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Tom, from what I recall there is a thread(or two) with all the questions answered. I personally use HF as I don't think the Shilala were out at the time i bought the HF. I think I would prefer the Shilala if I had to do it over again mostly because of the higher water retention. So I won't vote on the poll, because I have one but think I would prefer the other. I think you'll find most "have" HF mostly because they have been around a lot longer(it seems).

edit: http://www.botl.org/community/forums/showthread.php?t=45035
YEa...I searched both listings on these Mac. I just couldn't find the answers I was looking for.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
I have HF 65% in my desktop and coolidor, both calibrated digital hygrometers read exactly 65% and I haven't had to add distilled water to the beads in over four months! Are they better than Shilala? Not sure, but they work as advertised and any other form of humidification besides beads is simply inferior IMO.
What digital hygrometers do you use?
I must be missing something then because the directions say to add water if atleast 80% of the beads aren't clear vs white. maybe your humi's are in a more humid area than mine. I don't know but I do know my humi's are nice and maintained in our home which is kept at 70f.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Tom, I'm on my phone or I'd link it, but I think I started a thread not long ago on this. HCM beads don't have the visual clue that HF do, so yeah, you do kind of need the hygrometers. But it is not quite as simple as adding more water if you want a higher humidity. You can condition the beads to higher or lower RH using the directions on the website. IMMHO, the HF are the most simple solution, but the HCM offer more versatility.

TravelingJ

Banned
Rating - 100%
54   0   0
HCM beads were one of the best investments I have ever made, period. I happily chucked the heartfelt in the garbage to make that swap. They have been in my vino for almost 3 months now and the humidity hasn't budged at all. They had 10 days when I went on one work trip to get settled, and I came home-everything was perfect. Went to Africa for 3 weeks, it was spot on when I came home. Spent 2 weeks in town (in and out of it every day) and it was still spot on. Amazing.

Heartfelt and the likes weren't bad, but I had to make sure they were maintained. So far, HCM has the right amount of magic to never need to be touched.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
1. It says that Shilala Beads stay at 65% constant in a sealed humi. (Airtight). Well all wood humi's breath a little so do you have to add water to your beads as well.

They stay at 65% in a good seal humidor not airtight. HCM/shilala beads DO NOT need water to be added to them.

2. If you use Shilala Beads it also says you can adjust the Humidification level you your likeness, which I assume means adding water to them for a higher Level.

You adjust them by refrigerating them or putting them in a more humid place for long time exposure. [/q]

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Can't see polls on TapaTalk so I didn't know this was one. Need a "both" option as that will soon be my answer. Currently I use Heartfelt.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use cigar mechanic holder filled with beads. not sure what kind but they seem to function just like HF, add water more or less often depending on the season.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
X2, in my freezer-dor, 3 lbs and holding strong.

njstone

BoM January 2010
Rating - 100%
167   0   0
You'll have to add humidity to any system during very dry weather (snow), and possibly remove it in very humid weather (summers in northern Japan).

Right now I'm using BOTH kinds of beads. The HCM are nice for long-term stability and the HF are great for quick changes (I think they might "recover" faster as well).

cartisdm

Young & Eager
Rating - 100%
20   0   0
I don't have a collection quite the size of many others on this forum, but I have a 100ct humidor with Kitty Litter at a steady 67-68%. I'll take a pic when I get home. The KL is in a aquarium filter media bag and looks very sharp in the corner of my box.

Last edited: